The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-26-2016 12:31 PM
552 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    My wife's phone locked up again, except instead of going black, the touch screen froze. Had to soft reset it again. This has got to be a bug from Amber as neither of us ever had to soft reset our phones before until this update happened.
    It happened to my wife's phone again: this time I witnessed it restart itself, then it just went black during the restart process. Power button wouldn't do anything. Charging it wouldn't do anything (it had had 50% battery remaining anyway). I had to soft reset it again--the 3rd time now I've had to do that (plus 1 time on mine) since we downloaded Amber/GDR2 (and 0 times collectively before GDR2/Amber). Have others had this problem at all? It freaks me out.
    08-31-2013 11:05 PM
    It happened to my wife's phone again: this time I witnessed it restart itself, then it just went black during the restart process. Power button wouldn't do anything. Charging it wouldn't do anything (it had had 50% battery remaining anyway). I had to soft reset it again--the 3rd time now I've had to do that (plus 1 time on mine) since we downloaded Amber/GDR2 (and 0 times collectively before GDR2/Amber). Have others had this problem at all? It freaks me out.
    Hard reset doesn't help?
    09-01-2013 11:59 AM
    Hard reset doesn't help?
    hard resetting would erase all of our saved game data. We don't want to lose all of that progress.

As another update, today my phone locked up again too, requiring a soft reset. That makes 2 times for me and 3 times for her since the Amber/GDR2 update, compared to 0 for both of us before the update.
    thuanngotau likes this.
    09-01-2013 02:50 PM
    I just got mine a week and a half ago from Verizon. I've been good about keeping it charged (but not leaving in the wall charger overnight, as I've had problems with that with other phones). Anyways, I had it fully charged and unplugged before I went to sleep last night. Woke up and checked the time on it at about 4:30a. Had an alarm set for 10a, which never went off. When I finally woke up, there was no charge at all on my phone.

I'm hoping this isn't a recurring issue, but it's troubling. It's charging now with no problem
    09-01-2013 03:19 PM
    hard resetting would erase all of our saved game data. We don't want to lose all of that progress.
    Odds are that one of two things will fix your problem. A hard reset or a replacement device. Either one is going to cost you the saved game progress. And unless you get a really lazy support rep, you're not going to get a replacement device without doing a hard reset. Either way, I see a hard reset in your future.
    09-02-2013 06:01 PM
    Odds are that one of two things will fix your problem. A hard reset or a replacement device. Either one is going to cost you the saved game progress. And unless you get a really lazy support rep, you're not going to get a replacement device without doing a hard reset. Either way, I see a hard reset in your future.
    If it is true that the Amber/GDR2 update caused these problems, wouldn't the best solution be a software/firmware fix? We had none of these problems before the update. I don't know what a hard reset involves--i.e. if it undoes the Amber/GDR2 update--but I sure hope that isn't the best solution.
    09-02-2013 07:27 PM
    Alright, I made a thread about this, and it seems that (based on the info in this thread), others are having the same issue. Should I ask for a replacement device, or wait until there is a software update or something? New problems keep cropping up on my phone.

PROBLEMS:

-Volume fluctuations
    -Volume not working at all
    -Inconsistent SMS network (i.e. I can't send or receive any messages unless I soft reset)
    -Lock screen/touch screen locks up, need to soft reset for it to unfreeze
    -During a phone call, if the reception is choppy, caller will drop out completely (dead silence) and then return
    -Gunky, dim buttons on phone
    09-02-2013 10:17 PM
    Alright, I made a thread about this, and it seems that (based on the info in this thread), others are having the same issue. Should I ask for a replacement device, or wait until there is a software update or something? New problems keep cropping up on my phone.

PROBLEMS:

-Volume fluctuations
    -Inconsistent SMS network (i.e. I can't send or receive any messages unless I soft reset)
    -During a phone call, if the reception is choppy, caller will drop out completely (dead silence) and then return
    The caller dropping out and returning - doesn't matter with reception for me, are you sure it does for you? It seems almost definitely a loose wire for me, and was on my last 928. If I put pressure behind where the speaker is the voice will come back. If I remove pressure, it disappears.
    09-03-2013 10:48 AM
    The caller dropping out and returning - doesn't matter with reception for me, are you sure it does for you? It seems almost definitely a loose wire for me, and was on my last 928. If I put pressure behind where the speaker is the voice will come back. If I remove pressure, it disappears.
    You know, it could have just been coincidence and/or I was making an assumption. I really don't know for sure.
    09-03-2013 06:26 PM
    Interesting, I thought I would be the only one with this problem. This actually happens quite often to me. I have to put pressure on the top right corner of my 928 to be able to hear the other person again.
    09-03-2013 06:35 PM
    Now, my texts weren't going through entirely (without any failure to send notification), and I was able to receive texts. Hard resetting my phone, if it doesn't work after this I'm bringing this POS in for a replacement.
    09-03-2013 10:20 PM
    Yep, after Amber update I'm having the lock screen freeze problem as well. It's like the CPU is being 100% used by something else in the background, since I can start the camera app ok using the hardware button, and the screen *sort of* responds, but not fully or consistently. Very odd, soft reset fixes.
    09-04-2013 11:28 AM
    I have also had the lock screen freeze up a few times. Hopefully they will do a firmware update to fix it. It never happened pre amber.
    09-04-2013 11:42 AM
    If it is true that the Amber/GDR2 update caused these problems, wouldn't the best solution be a software/firmware fix? We had none of these problems before the update. I don't know what a hard reset involves--i.e. if it undoes the Amber/GDR2 update--but I sure hope that isn't the best solution.
    It happened again: phone went black, requiring a soft reset. That makes 3 times for my 928 and 3 times for my partner's 928 since Amber (and 0 times before).
    09-04-2013 12:23 PM
    Same here, I've had the screen loose touch response but I can still use the hardware buttons. This all started post amber of course.
    09-04-2013 12:35 PM
    My problem since update is that the screen is hypersensitive. It seems to now be able to detect the touch of ghosts and other spirits. At times it acts as if I'm touching the screen repeatedly, when in fact there isn't anything, even a breeze touching it. Either I need to call Ghostbusters, or something's wrong.
    09-04-2013 12:39 PM
    Did a hard reset (again) last night because my call issues were getting worse and worse. So far, everything is solid. Haven't had any network issues and pretty sure I haven't experienced the volume issue either. Time will tell, but right now I'm in love with this baby all over again...I stress "right now".
    09-05-2013 03:17 PM
    coip - My phone has also turned off three (3) times since the Amber/GDR2 update. A soft reset worked in all instances but I have since uninstalled 2-3 apps in the hopes that this issue would clear up but to no avail. I show three updates (PC Remote, Football Pro '14, extras+info) waiting for me to download so I am hopeful that the extras+info outlook will clear this up.
    09-05-2013 03:27 PM
    I spoke too soon on my last post. Definitely a loose wire...happened to me again today, and I put pressure on the back and it was fine. Just going to deal with it since that's how I hold my phone anyway. Inconvenient? Yes. But I don't feel like getting a "Used Like-New" phone that is probably just as crap.
    09-05-2013 03:50 PM
    Got my 8x replaced with a black 928 a day before they announced the red 928, Love my black one so far despite the random resets and screen freezes driving me a little crazy. Though I have to say the 928 does feel like a less worked on product in comparison to the 920.
    09-05-2013 04:05 PM
    Volume has just gone out entirely, even after soft resets. I surely did speak too soon. On the phone with Nokia right now.
    09-05-2013 04:12 PM
    Called the store I bought it at and am getting a full replacement on Saturday. Boo ya, love my store. Further, if my second is a lemon, I'm getting an iPhone. That hurts to say, but I'm fed up. It's a fresh shipment that is coming in tomorrow so maybe it's a healthy batch.
    Last edited by Marconis4; 09-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    09-05-2013 04:22 PM

PROBLEMS:

-Volume fluctuations
    These are definitely software issues. I'm having some of the same problems after updating a 920 to GDR2/Amber. I've tried different GDR2/Amber roms and keeping all the new features off, none of which made any difference.
    09-05-2013 07:42 PM
    I firmly believe this phone has a physical defect that makes it very easy for it to crack the screen. Just now, and for the third time, I have shattered the screen. My phone fell out of my hands when standing up after sitting in chair ( about 2.5 ft off the ground) and fell face flat on linoleum tiles and shattered. This is the second time it has fallen from the same distance and shattered. I firmly believe there are two reasons why it shatters so easily. First, the housing, digitizer, and screen are( for all intents and purposes) one piece and tightly packed together. The screen goes all the way to the edges, which leaving the edges exposed. Before you ask, the answer is yes, I was using a cover. It still shattered (albeit using the incipio feather case). The other two times the screen shattered, the phone fell on it's edge. This time, it fell face flat on the ground with no angle. Shattering due to a fall on it's edge makes more logical sense than shattering face down, with no edges at 2.5 feet. The glass shouldn't shatter from such an angle and distance. It's ridiculous and I have to blame Nokia and VERIZON for such poor design flaw. Is there anyone out there who has accidentally dropped and shattered this phone from very a low height?

Since I have used up both of my $100 replacements through Verizon's warranty service, I have bleak options.1) I can spend $200 to buy the lcd assembly and attempt to install a new screen myself. However, I can find no online forum explaining or showing anyone replacing the screen or videos of such as well. If I were to attempt it, I could screw up the phone more. This also leaves me without a cell for 5-7 days. 2) I can buy another 928, 822 or htc 8x on ebay. 3) I am fed up with how much I spend on verizon monthly as well as spending $300 on this phone already (100$ first purchase with upgrade and two $100 charges for warranty replacements), that I am very seriously considering paying VERIZON $500 to go f themselves and switch to tmo or att and get a 925 or 1020 respectively. I apologize for the rant as I am pretty broken and destroyed right now...However, I still believe the unprotected edges and soldered housing and screen make it immensely vulnerable to shattering.

Can anyone tell me if there is a forum/video/explanation of how to replace the lcd, whether it's possible for a normal person to do so, or whether anyone has successfully done it?

Zomby
    09-05-2013 08:24 PM
    Same here, I've had the screen loose touch response but I can still use the hardware buttons. This all started post amber of course.
    I had that issue, time to time before Amber/GDR2.... So it was there before Amber...

This is one of the buggiest phones I have ever owned... I have to reboot it because of one of these issues at least 2-3 times a week, man I feel like I own a Android device...

Problem is, I had a HTC 8X for about 4 months and I only think I rebooted that phone 2-3 times (not needing to) over the entire time owning the phone... SO it's not a Windows Phone issue, it's a Nokia issue.
    09-05-2013 09:32 PM
552 ... 1617181920 ...