01-26-2016 12:31 PM
552 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Thanks for the NEW data (at least for us) ... so, the WP8 backup and restore ... WORKS ACROSS WP8 DEVICES (HTC 8X to Nokia 928) ... THAT is awesome - we all know that "new" WP8 phones ARE COMING this summer and the holiday 2013 season!

I "doubt" across carriers ... but could easily be wrong?
    On the 16th, I did a restore of my 822 to my new 928. And I'd be shocked if it didn't work across carriers. It's done by your Microsoft account, not by your carrier.

Some tips:
    If you can't be connected to WiFi right away when restoring, turn off your data as soon as you get to the start screen. Settings | Cellular (or turn on airplane mode)
    I've done this a few times and I've seen a few quirks. One such quirk is that some of the phone settings will "say" what they are supposed to be in the small print under the setting, but won't actually change to that setting until you open the setting. You may not have to change anything, but you need to open the setting.
    Backup does NOT backup your phone's data. It just stores a back-up list of your phone settings, and a list of your apps. It will NOT copy documents, photos (unless you have it automatically uploading photos to SkyDrive), music, game progress or data from apps. What it does in a restore is imports your phone settings, and does a push, sending all the apps that were installed at the last backup (you can force a backup at any time), and installs those apps.
    05-26-2013 11:17 PM
    Having Bluetooth issues...partners 920 does the same thing...when we turn our cars off the music randomly starts playing!
    05-27-2013 04:36 PM
    Having Bluetooth issues...partners 920 does the same thing...when we turn our cars off the music randomly starts playing!
    I don't think that's necessarily a bug. I've noticed that with mine as well. It seems the phone is doing its best to keep playing music, so when you turn your car off, the phone thinks, "Well I can play the music through the built-in speaker."
    05-27-2013 06:19 PM
    Just bought one of these unlocked from a seller on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet, but am preparing for the worst when it comes to these bugs. If I experience the "goopy" Windows Button or any of these errors previously mentioned, should I return it to eBay or is the phone under a warranty through Nokia? Getting worried since I had to pay an out of contract price for it.
    05-27-2013 07:26 PM
    This is more of an observation than a bug.
    1. The other day at work my phone charged in about 3 hours using the wireless charger. Today using the supplied wired charger, a battery app (that I didn't have before) says it is only charging at 14% an hour.
    2. The autocorrect seems to function better for me if using one finger to type instead of 2.

Will test the wireless charger again tomorrow and compare.
    05-27-2013 07:41 PM
    Just bought one of these unlocked from a seller on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet, but am preparing for the worst when it comes to these bugs. If I experience the "goopy" Windows Button or any of these errors previously mentioned, should I return it to eBay or is the phone under a warranty through Nokia?
    First, I hardly call the "problem" with the Windows button a deal-breaker - it's a minor aesthetic concern. Second, any warranty through the manufacturer is going to require that the phone was purchased through an authorized seller and sourced through authorized distribution channels. With an ebay purchase, it's possible, but it's probably less likely than if you would have bought it from a brick and mortar store.
    05-27-2013 07:47 PM
    Today I recieved a text message which brought up my volume bar and after reading my message i found the back button turned up my volume but did not allow me to leave the message locking the screen and unlocking it cleared the volume bar and fixed the issue.
    I have had this happen several times but it is not just limited to receiving a text message.
    05-27-2013 09:47 PM
    Just bought one of these unlocked from a seller on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet, but am preparing for the worst when it comes to these bugs. If I experience the "goopy" Windows Button or any of these errors previously mentioned, should I return it to eBay or is the phone under a warranty through Nokia? Getting worried since I had to pay an out of contract price for it.
    Mine has been fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
    05-27-2013 09:54 PM
    Is anyone noticing that the Find My Phone service is refusing to turn on? I have an 822 That is having texting problems and two 928's that won't start Find My Phone?

Thanks,
    05-27-2013 10:13 PM
    This is not an "issue" - it is by design (yeah, I know - bad design).

All 928s are unlocked. Bing "47 CFR 27:16" and scroll down to (e). Verizon is not allowed by the FCC to carrier lock their LTE devices because this regulation applies to the band that their LTE devices use.

Is anyone noticing that the Find My Phone service is refusing to turn on? I have an 822 That is having texting problems and two 928's that won't start Find My Phone
    Go to the find my phone page, where the world map is, and actually click the Locate my Phone (or whatever it says) button. This works most of the time - it's like it needs a kick start for some reason.
    05-28-2013 11:11 AM
    This is not an "issue" - it is by design (yeah, I know - bad design).
    Weird. It must have to do with how certain cars handle the BT connection. In general, my car's (VW) BT is... not great... but at least it/my 928 handle the disconnect properly - the 928 just pauses the music and I can quickly start it back up from the same spot when I get back in.
    05-28-2013 11:19 AM
    I've noticed with several BT devices (Logitech BT receiver in my car, LG Tone+ headset, a BT Soundbar, JBL Power Up speaker) that the state of audio seems to "toggle" if you connect or disconnect. If you pause the music, then disconnect BT, it will start playing again through phone speaker. If you disconnect while playing, play will stop. So I use Stop Music to be sure it's not going to come on and put me in an embarassing situation. Go into the app, then pin the tile from there. When you tap that tile now, the music will be stopped without you having to do anything else.
    05-28-2013 11:29 AM
    Is anyone noticing that the Find My Phone service is refusing to turn on? I have an 822 That is having texting problems and two 928's that won't start Find My Phone?

Thanks,
    I had the same issue when I got my 928. I turned on "Find my Phone" on the phone and it says "Off". Then I went to the website and forced it to try and find the phone. It failed. I rebooted the phone and then tried to find it again from the webpage. THEN it found it. Phone still says the "Find My Phone" is "Off" but clearly, I can find it.
    05-28-2013 03:08 PM
    Is it just me or are is the ear piece more prone to dust getting in there then other phones and is there a better way to clean it besides compressed air?
    05-28-2013 05:58 PM
    Thanks for the pointer hopmedic. It drives me and the partner crazy! Will try that out. Other than that its perfect on Bluetooth.
    05-28-2013 07:02 PM
    Random reboots are random, and they are occurring daily. No one thing is triggering this. Could this just be WP8? Should this be acceptable behavior from such a new phone?
    05-28-2013 07:23 PM
    Random reboots are random, and they are occurring daily. No one thing is triggering this. Could this just be WP8? Should this be acceptable behavior from such a new phone?
    Had mine since release day and not one random reboot. Have you tried doing a soft reset yet?
    05-28-2013 08:05 PM
    Yeah it looks like something's on the windows button. Its hard when you have your phone in your pocket most of the time to not get dust/lint in the ear, mouth or phone jack. When intake out of my pocket I blow on the ear piece and phone jack.
    05-29-2013 09:20 AM
    There is only one thing about the 928 that bothers me. Sometimes when I launch Music+Videos from the homescreen it tries to launch but flips back to the home screen. One the second attempt, it will launch. I just wish I knew how to duplicate the bug because it wound not happen when I tried showing the folks at my Microsoft store.
    05-29-2013 10:00 AM
    I thought I was the only one that got a Nokia Lumia 928 with the Windows Logo having crap underneath which I believe is a manufacturer's cosmetic issue. I contacted Verizon and had them ship me out a new phone which that crap underneath was showing at the same place underneath the Windows Logo which you can only see when the back light comes on! I hope they fix this cosmetic issue since it ruins the company's reputation when they manufacturer phones without testing every detail even cosmetic! If you got a brand new car and there was a cosmetic defect in the paint wouldn't you complain too?
    05-29-2013 07:31 PM
    yes, thanks. to no avail.
    05-29-2013 11:16 PM
    Had mine since release day and not one random reboot. Have you tried doing a soft reset yet?
    I'm on phone number 2. The first one randomly rebooted twice on me (in 12 days), and that's only what I witnessed first hand (it may have been more). The second phone, which I just got yesterday, has already rebooted on me 4 times (again, that I've seen, maybe more), including once when I was in the middle of a phone call. I really don't want to return it for another one because I had an awful experience at the store (they were jerks about it), but this rebooting thing is worrying me. The second one I did a hard reset and all of the reboots have happened since then.
    Last edited by coip; 05-30-2013 at 03:05 AM.
    05-29-2013 11:51 PM
    I'm considering giving up on this phone. Too many defects.
    05-30-2013 01:39 AM
    Hi,
    For issues with the "find my phone" feature, try going to The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and make sure your phone information is correct in your account. If you are coming from another WP8, the account may be still attached to your old phone.
    Hope this helps.
    Jana at Nokia

Find My Phone is not working. The settings for Find My Phone seem backwards as well. When I turn the feature on, the settings show it as off, when I turn the feature off, the settings show "ring, lock, erase, or find your phone. Anyone else having this issue? Definitely looks like a bug to me.

Oh, and I also have the Start Button problem, looks like a manufacturing issue.
    nunyazz and jleebiker like this.
    05-30-2013 12:07 PM
    Hi,
    For issues with the "find my phone" feature, try going to The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and make sure your phone information is correct in your account. If you are coming from another WP8, the account may be still attached to your old phone.
    Hope this helps.
    Jana at Nokia
    Thanks for the reminder. I had 2 other WP on my account. Removed them. I was able to Find My Phone prior to this, but is a good reminder to keep things clean.
    05-30-2013 12:14 PM
552 ... 45678 ...