01-26-2016 12:31 PM
552 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Anyone have an issue where the phone cannot unlock? I'll push the button and the screen turns on but I am unable to slide up the phone to unlock it. I can activate the camera and take pictures but when I go to unlock the phone from the home screen I will not work.

The only way I can use the phone again is to do a rest by holding the power button. It works for a few minutes and then it locks up again.
    Last edited by mwailes; 05-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    05-30-2013 01:28 PM
    I'm considering giving up on this phone. Too many defects.
    I dont blame you. This is why I didn't buy a launch device from Nokia. Not saying Nokia sucks not by a long shot, but they seem to have a decent amount of quality control issues at launch. I will however pick one up on fathers day.
    05-30-2013 04:10 PM
    Got some "gunk" or whatever under my Windows button as well, but it's barely a problem. Aside from that, this phone is AWESOME. I did notice that the screen isn't as responsive as my 8X, but I'm digging the brighter colors, better camera, exclusive apps and general layout of the device. Hopefully I don't experience any random reboots!
    05-30-2013 04:56 PM
    Hard reset issue. I tried going through Settings, About and resetting my phone. It sat for about 3 hours with the two gears. I've been Google'ing this issue and have tried the hard reset with the buttons, but it seems like there is only one bar on the battery when I had it plugged in that entire 3 hours that it sat. Leaving it on the charger now to see if that changes and then will try the button hard reset, but...looking for any assistance without having to take the phone in to Verizon tomorrow. Suggestions?
    pugpuggle likes this.
    05-30-2013 10:51 PM
    So guys and gals, I have exchanged my phone 6 times and I am currently using phone #7. I have been plagued with various issues, I have a separate thread if you want to find out more: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...928-again.html

Anyhow, I was fed up and hopmedic (thanks hopmedic!) suggested that I email Stephen Elop and voice my concerns. Well I did and he already responded and escalated my case! Here is the email tree and Elop's response:

RE: Nokia Lumia 928‏

stephen.elop@nokia.com (stephen.elop@nokia.com)

Add to contacts

8:21 PM

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cc: Alf.Noto@nokia.com, Customer.Assist@nokia.com

Picture of stephen.elop@nokia.com

Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen

Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 23:18
    To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)
    Subject: Nokia Lumia 928

Dear Mr. Elop,

First off, I'm sure you get bombarded with emails, so I understand if you can't respond. But I hope you do as there are many others with my issues and concerns about the newly released Nokia Lumia 928 for Verizon Wireless.

I was a diehard Android fan and owned many of their devices over the past 4 years. But I finally got fed up with their fragmentation and slow OS. I was recently introduced to Windows Phone 8 by fellow members of the WPCenteral.com website and forums. I then tried out a WP8 device in a store and I immediately fell in love.

Being on Verizon, I wasn't in love with the phone choices however. Fast forward to when I heard the 928 was coming out and I was ecstatic! It was going to be my first Nokia cell phone and I have heard rave reviews about the build quality of the devices.

Here is where my (and many others) problem comes in. I am currently using phone #7 of the 928 and even this one still has the issues of the other 6 that I returned. Between all of them, the most common problem is some substance behind the backlit Start, Search and Back buttons that show up when the backlight comes on. The buttons looks horrible when lit. Another common issue that I've had on a few of the phones was when the phone vibrates when you get a message, the phone rattles and sounds like it's going to fall apart. Another issue is the casing of the phone having a creaking, clicking and popping sound when you hold it certain ways. All of these are major annoyances to me and don't live up to the Nokia build quality reputation that I heard so much about.

Here is my bottom line....I really LOVE this phone and the OS!! But I can't and don't feel I should keep a phone that simply isn't up to high quality standards. I feel I am running out of options and don't really want to give up on this phone. I just know that if I exchange the phone again, I will get yet another one with some of these problems.

On the other hand, I really don't want to ship it to Nokia and be without a phone for a couple weeks. I would rather get a new phone shipped so I can inspect it first and then ship the defective unit back if the new one checks out OK. I would be willing to put a deposit or hold on my credit card, etc.

Would you please be so kind to consider this and put me in contact with someone where I can make this happen?

Thank you so much for your time and have a great day!

Regards,
    John (last name)

And here is the email of my escalated case:

Complaint Escalation <SR 1-XXXXXX> <Esc # 1-XXXXXX> <Your email to Nokia executives – 1-XXXXX>‏

esc-Customer.Support@nokia.com (esc-Customer.Support@nokia.com)

Add to contacts

8:53 PM

To: XXXXXXXXX

Picture of esc-Customer.Support@nokia.com

Escalation #: 1-XXXXX

Hi Mr. (last name),

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.

We have logged your concern and are currently looking into it. Your service request number is 1-XXXXXXX. Please allow us to handle the details of your case, and our local Nokia customer care team will get back to you shortly.

Also, to properly assist you, please provide us with your most convenient callback number. This way, we can forward your concern to the local Nokia Care team.

Regards,

Welson R.

Answers to many of your questions may be located online. Please visit Support - Nokia - USA for your Nokia product support needs.
    nufan947 likes this.
    05-30-2013 11:27 PM
    I got the same replies. We'll see what happens from here. The reply from Elop was way too slow for it to have been automated, but whether it was him or not, who knows... What matters is that we have their attention.
    Gallo991 and WizeGuyDezignz like this.
    05-31-2013 06:39 AM
    Honestly haven't had even one problem with this phone. What is this gunk people talk about? Mine light up in a creamy yellowish way that almost glows, but no gunk. Nor does my phone creak.
    05-31-2013 06:24 PM
    Mines was like yours and I couldn't stand it. The first one I had was pure white.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    05-31-2013 06:56 PM
    Well, I must say that maybe waiting till the other day to get mine saved me from much that is mentioned above and more. My notification noise level is rather low, but since it turns on the screen too that will help to know if I have a message in a noisy place. My buttons look fine, all 3 of 'em!
    06-01-2013 01:39 PM
    I cant seem to receive text messages. My wife apparently has been sending me messages but i'm not getting any of them. I can send messages to her fine.
    Are you on a different carrier than your wife? At work, we're migrating from T-mobile to Verizon. I'm on the Verizon Nokia 928. Tmo people say they've sent me txts, even show me later, I never received. Don't know if it goes the other way or if its a Windows Phone issue. But its there for sure.
    06-01-2013 03:03 PM
    I've had two instances of a locked screen that I've had to soft reset out of. First time was playing Pandora, then started up Words with Friends. WWF was notorious about locking up my Lumia 810.
    06-01-2013 03:05 PM
    ... Should I exchange the phone? If so, what happens with the games I've already purchased?
    You can reinstall your apps (bought and free) to your new device via the windows phone website as long as the find my phone feature is enabled. You can also select "buy" for the specific app(s). The transaction will not complete as you will get a message stating that it was already purchased and can be installed if so desired.
    06-01-2013 03:19 PM
    I'm on phone number 2. The first one randomly rebooted twice on me (in 12 days), and that's only what I witnessed first hand (it may have been more). The second phone, which I just got yesterday, has already rebooted on me 4 times (again, that I've seen, maybe more), including once when I was in the middle of a phone call. I really don't want to return it for another one because I had an awful experience at the store (they were jerks about it), but this rebooting thing is worrying me. The second one I did a hard reset and all of the reboots have happened since then.
    What applications are you installing? Seems like something application related.
    06-01-2013 03:34 PM
    My Lumia 928 is currently in the midst of getting replaced because the one I got ended up not being able to open 3rd party apps. When you click the tile, it would just sit at the app's splash screen. Factory reset was tried twice (once by me and once by an in-store Verizon rep) with no success. I had to end up sending it back to Amazon for an Exchange. Now waiting on said replacement.

Also, +1 for the crappy looking Windows logo on that phone (the best way to describe it is sort of a globby thing under the surface that looked terrible when illuminated). I'll report back when the new phone arrives.
    06-02-2013 03:25 PM
    I'm on phone number 2. The first one randomly rebooted twice on me (in 12 days), and that's only what I witnessed first hand (it may have been more). The second phone, which I just got yesterday, has already rebooted on me 4 times (again, that I've seen, maybe more), including once when I was in the middle of a phone call. I really don't want to return it for another one because I had an awful experience at the store (they were jerks about it), but this rebooting thing is worrying me. The second one I did a hard reset and all of the reboots have happened since then.
    My phone has also been rebooting itself - I talked to a guy from Verizon about it when it first started happening, did a hard reset, and that seemed to fix things for a while, but it just started happening again. Talked with the same guy again today, and according to him, Nokia doesn't seem to be aware of the issue, so I'm getting a new phone sent to me - hopefully my luck is better than yours! Question for you, though - have your random reboots been preceded by a loud beep at all? Mine have mostly happened either while I'm playing music or just before an alarm was set to go off, and those have all been preceded by loud beeps. Just something I thought was peculiar, since I haven't seen anybody else here mention it.
    06-03-2013 06:39 PM
    I just started having this problem two days ago, not sure what is causing it.
    06-03-2013 08:28 PM
    This is the problem I just started having two days ago.

Anyone have an issue where the phone cannot unlock? I'll push the button and the screen turns on but I am unable to slide up the phone to unlock it. I can activate the camera and take pictures but when I go to unlock the phone from the home screen I will not work.

The only way I can use the phone again is to do a rest by holding the power button. It works for a few minutes and then it locks up again.
    06-03-2013 08:28 PM
    My phone has also been rebooting itself - I talked to a guy from Verizon about it when it first started happening, did a hard reset, and that seemed to fix things for a while, but it just started happening again. Talked with the same guy again today, and according to him, Nokia doesn't seem to be aware of the issue, so I'm getting a new phone sent to me - hopefully my luck is better than yours! Question for you, though - have your random reboots been preceded by a loud beep at all? Mine have mostly happened either while I'm playing music or just before an alarm was set to go off, and those have all been preceded by loud beeps. Just something I thought was peculiar, since I haven't seen anybody else here mention it.
    I didn't notice any beeps with mine. It would just kind of silently shut off and reboot instantly. I got a new phone and it doesn't do that, however, it did freeze twice. Once I had to manually shut it down. The other time it shut itself down (but did not reboot). As this kind of freezing happened all the time with my old Droid phone, I don't see twice as that bad (although, obviously I would not prefer it), so I'm just rolling with it. I love the phone otherwise.
    06-04-2013 01:35 AM
    Just got my black phone last night from Amazon. I ordered two weeks ago, phone was supposed to ship for 5/28 but stock ran out.

First thing I noticed was some grubby fingerprints on the coffin case, which made me suspicious.

Second thing I noticed was that the camera button seems loose, definitely not tight like the other buttons. The nav buttons on the bottom were lit yellowish, and the home button was a little smudgy, but today the nav buttons do not light up at all!

Finally, I noticed that there is a noticeable gap between the glass and the plastic case along the top of the phone.

I just called Amazon to arrange for a replacement and what do you know, they are out of stock again. I suspect that the phone I received was a returned first production run. The good news is, despite the defects, I love the phone and the OS is outstanding. Looking forward to getting my replacement phone, whenever that might be.
    06-04-2013 08:10 AM
    I've had my 928 since launch and it has been great. However, I've been in the UK for the last two days and there have been 3 wifi hotspots that I haven't been able to access, when my surface and my friend's iphone have been able to. It gives me a message about the network not responding.
    06-04-2013 08:26 AM
    My wifi at home gives me trouble occasionally. I have two Buffalo high-powered routers - one in the basement and one in the attic. Set up with ethernet between them. Occasionally I'll notice that I can't connect. Almost always, if I restart the phone, it connects. The remainder of times, I have to reboot the main router.
    06-04-2013 08:30 AM
    A serious bug noticed is when I take multiple videos from the lock screen then lok the phone again one or all of the videos will not show up in camera roll when I unlock it minute later. I've lost good videos from this
    06-04-2013 09:49 AM
    A serious bug noticed is when I take multiple videos from the lock screen then lok the phone again one or all of the videos will not show up in camera roll when I unlock it minute later. I've lost good videos from this
    Can you elaborate on this? So you launch the camera from the lock screen using the camera button, then take a video. Do you then lock the phone or go back to the home screen? Is this repeatable every time? If we can replicate this behavior we should be able to get it fixed.
    06-04-2013 09:59 AM

Sounds like thie issue I had where the screen wasn't responsive. I ended up pressing the upper right quadrant of the phone (slight pressure) and heard an affirmative click. The screen worked after this, but it had to be done repeatedly.
    06-04-2013 10:47 AM
    Sounds like thie issue I had where the screen wasn't responsive. I ended up pressing the upper right quadrant of the phone (slight pressure) and heard an affirmative click. The screen worked after this, but it had to be done repeatedly.
    I don't see how pressing in that area could have any effect on touch performance. I would advise against trying to squeeze the phone to solve the problem, there is nothing loose inside causing the touch to become unresponsive it is likely software related.
    When this happens try locking and unlocking the screen, I have seen this solve the issue in some cases. If that doesn't work try holding the power button to reset the phone.
    06-04-2013 10:54 AM
552 ... 56789 ...