Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been following this thread pretty intently and the one issue that seems to keep popping up is the yellow soft keys when back lit.

I was thinking that it might be an adhesive that's causing the issue. On the 928, the gorilla glass, digitizer, and amoled screen are all attached together and is one piece.

There may be an adhesive issue, yes. My start key etc is nice and white. But on my phone there are areas of the gorilla glass near the top and bottom of the phone where it almost looks like there is a bubble between the gorilla glass and a non-display portion of the screen. its not really visible unless put under light at a 45 degree angle, but hopefully it does not get worse and delaminate or something. I am not sure if it was like this from new, but I don't think it was. Note that I exclusively wirelessly charge so it may be heat related.

jhnybgood47

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The sound no longer works on my phone. The keyboard clicks, ringtone, everything. It doesnt happen all the time though. I have turned the phone on and off and did a soft reset. Is there anything else to do?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Only issue for me is a little bit of gunk under the start button. Buttons do have a yellow cast but doesn't really look bad at all. Screen is super responsive and all is working well!

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have issues with Nokia Here Beta and the device freezing up? Just used to nav to sons baseball game and when I got there I couldn't close out of it or back out. None of the front 'keys' wld do anything. Had to vol down + power to reset device. Anyone else?

el-bori

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I got a replacement today and it doesn't have the problem with the Windows key but all the keys are really yellow. Its this normal? I think the other ones were white.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The gunk actually doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I am somewhat of a perfectionist. The yellow looking keys kind of work for me. If they were bright white I think they would be distracting. Everything else is working perfect so I'm sticking with what I've got.

rdavenp3

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My phone was working great until today. Then I got a SIM is invalid error on a reboot. Checked the SIM in another phone and its OK. pulled the SIM multiple times and rebooted and same error. I'm still in my 2 week window so I can return it for a replacement. I just hope they have a replacement in stock.

RhymesWithEmpty

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been having a few issues with my phone.

I was having a lot of trouble with loading/playing my music - it all seems to be working now, but I'm still a bit wary. First, I was just trying to click and drag my music into the appropriate folder from my laptop, which runs Vista, but it would stop after a certain point and say that it had lost connection with the phone. I've had this issue with my previous phone, but I was able to load it all in small batches in order to avoid it - this time, it eventually stopped taking anything. And when I went to browse through the music that I had gotten on my phone, I realized a lot of it just wasn't showing up. A lot of whole albums were simply not there. So I deleted everything and moved it all over to the family computer, which runs Windows 7, and used the wp8 app that loads music onto your phone from your itunes library. It finished, and everything seemed to be there, but when I tried to play something this morning, it started saying "Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone, error code 800706bf" for every song. I couldn't stop it from automatically cycling through all of my music, so I rebooted it and went to work. Didn't touch it all day, got home, and thought I would plug it back into the computer I had used to sync it and see if it would play then - lo' and behold, it did, and it seems to be working fine on its own now, although this sort of leads in to my other problem...

This is my 3rd day of having it, and its rebooted itself on me twice. The first time was literally a minute before my alarm was set to go off in the morning - I was confused at first, because it was preceded by a loud beep, so I thought maybe I had just selected the wrong tone, but it was showing the start-up screen, and the actual alarm went off a minute later. The 2nd time was when I was trying to play my music again after work - things were playing fine, but then, again, about 4 songs in, it beeped loudly and restarted itself. Waiting to see if it happens again - I guess I'll try a soft reset if it does, but if anybody else has any suggestions, that'd be great!

My phone's back/windows/search buttons also seem slightly off - they aren't really yellowed, but it does seem like they aren't being lit evenly. The light seems a bit stronger around the bottom edge, and kind of fades towards the top. It's not that noticeable, so I'm not too concerned about it, just thought I'd mention it.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Is anybody getting squeaking or clicking noises when they press down on the back cover (around camera bezel or above speaker)? I am getting some noises like the plastic is just flexing enough to hit the internals and I'm not pressing very hard. Its pretty loud too. Just want to know if this is common or If I should get it checked out.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is anybody getting squeaking or clicking noises when they press down on the back cover (around camera bezel or above speaker)? I am getting some noises like the plastic is just flexing enough to hit the internals and I'm not pressing very hard. Its pretty loud too. Just want to know if this is common or If I should get it checked out.

My first unit clicked if you will as if something wasn't completely installed properly. This snap in to place action allowed the screen to respond albeit a brief period. The second unit is good to go (minus the back/home/search gunk.) The "snap" location was in the upper right quadrant looking at the phone....My suggestion...wait too long and you'll be forced to send the unit to Nokia...a couple of weeks turn around potentially. Bring it to your retailer and have them assess it. Worst case you have set it up all over again if replaced.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to tweak or adjust the "screen saturation" - the "screen brightness" is set to high with auto turned off - but I have found that some applications have a noticeably reddish hue..

Nothing that would cause me to not rate my black 928 "AWESOME" ... but just curious?

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to tweak or adjust the "screen saturation" - the "screen brightness" is set to high with auto turned off - but I have found that some applications have a noticeably reddish hue..

Nothing that would cause me to not rate my black 928 "AWESOME" ... but just curious?

I'm hoping that this makes it in to the wild so that I can adjust the screen's color temp; should take care of your adjustments, too - A forthcoming Nokia update will allow Lumia 920 users to change their display colors for the first time | Windows Phone Central

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that this makes it in to the wild so that I can adjust the screen's color temp; should take care of your adjustments, too - A forthcoming Nokia update will allow Lumia 920 users to change their display colors for the first time | Windows Phone Central

WOW, nice find and thanks for sharing! That would be really cool - I am a long time Photoshop pro and we all know about color profiles + the ongoing debate about Nokia's use of Samsung's AMOLED displays - I've read the SAME Samsung displays as the Galaxy SIII, S4, Note 2 etc. - and the whole "pen tile" vs. age old RGB matrix ... etc.

OVERALL ... I personally love the highly saturated look that I have in my 928 - 99% of everything looks PERFECT, but a few have a reddish cast - but, a tweakable Nokia color profile would amazing.

Thomas A

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday, replacing an iPhone 4S. First Windows phone. I love the way it's connected into my services, I love the Skydrive upload, the phone is gorgeous, everything looks so rich. The sunlight visibility is light years ahead of the 4S. It's much louder than the 4S, too. I also have the goopy "dirty" windows button. It's really tweaking my OCD. None of the other problems listed on here though. I do have one big issue, I suspect user error but not sure. The photos just look terrible. Anything with any reflected light, pictures near windows, etc. All super washed out. Here's an example (no flash):
Blown Out.jpg
It's not a little difference. In the 4S, details and color are visible in the reflection. The Lumia pic is just a white blob. Most of my Lumia pics aren't usable. Is there some setting to fix this?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
its rebooted itself on me twice.

My phone's back/windows/search buttons also seem slightly off -.

I have the same problems:
1) my phone has shut off on its own twice, seemingly randomly (battery level was fine)
2) similar to most people, the Windows button seems to have a discoloration
3) someone else mentioned this earlier too, but the Carl Zeiss | Pureview camera lens piece is also not flush with the back of the phone on mine (my wife's is more flush, but not completely flush)
4) my wife's phone has a ridiculously loud and powerful vibrating notification on it

Should I be concerned about the random shutdowns? It has only happened twice since I got the phone 10 days ago, but it concerns me. Should I take it in and see if they'll swap phones for a new one?

The other issue (the Windows key discoloration) seems to be fairly common. Was this just a 'first batch' deformation, or are all of them like that? What are most people doing about it? Just ignoring it since it's only a cosmetic issue?

Is the camera piece on the back supposed to be flush? Should I exchange the phone? If so, what happens with the games I've already purchased?

Last edited:

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday, replacing an iPhone 4S. First Windows phone. I love the way it's connected into my services, I love the Skydrive upload, the phone is gorgeous, everything looks so rich. The sunlight visibility is light years ahead of the 4S. It's much louder than the 4S, too. I also have the goopy "dirty" windows button. It's really tweaking my OCD. None of the other problems listed on here though. I do have one big issue, I suspect user error but not sure. The photos just look terrible. Anything with any reflected light, pictures near windows, etc. All super washed out. Here's an example (no flash):
View attachment 34761
It's not a little difference. In the 4S, details and color are visible in the reflection. The Lumia pic is just a white blob. Most of my Lumia pics aren't usable. Is there some setting to fix this?

Definitely NOT the photo "quality and detail" I am getting - nor most of the members - can you post a series of shots, indoor - outdoor - with and without flash - to see if you have a possible defective camera?

This sure look like the Xenon flash went off?

BTW ... this was posted by another member - sorry, I give proper credit for a great article - but check this out

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...so-you-want-take-better-pictures-[guide].html

rdavenp3

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The built in photo Albums on the phone basically sucks at rendering pictures. They look grainy and out of focus. Grab HD Photo from the marketplace or transfer to a PC to see the real quality of the camera.

el_bori1

Oct 31, 2007
Visit site
I ended up returning the phone and I'm gonna wait a week to see if the new batch oof phone don't have the problems with the capacity keys. I'm sure gonna miss the camera but is only for a week or so.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thomas A

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, probably a noob mistake. I hadn't fiddled around with the camera settings, but it's possible I changed something. I went into the camera app, photo settings, and tapped "reset." Seems to have done the trick.
Blown Out Fixed.jpg
MUCH better.
As for my "dirty window," I'm with el_bori1... I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then go back and see if there are any new ones.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, probably a noob mistake. I hadn't fiddled around with the camera settings, but it's possible I changed something. I went into the camera app, photo settings, and tapped "reset." Seems to have done the trick.

MUCH better.
As for my "dirty window," I'm with el_bori1... I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then go back and see if there are any new ones.

You probably bumped the exposure compensation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos