Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday when my wife and I rode the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, and took these pictures, there were a few times that I tried to use the camera button and it wouldn't work. Wouldn't wake the phone, and if I turned the phone on, wouldn't switch to camera mode or take picture. It was temporary, only happened a few times, but I'm not going to deal with that. I bought the phone 10 days ago, so I took it back to the Microsoft Store where I bought it.

The phone they gave me, I didn't launch right away. I was going to wait until I got home in order to not burn up my data restoring the backup. Well, something told me to try it. It rebooted five timesa as I walked back to the Microsoft Store. It would get as far as the page to sign into your Microsoft account, and then if you did nothing it would reboot. If you tapped "Sign In," the sign in button would light up in the red accent color, and would stay lit up, and it would freeze right there.

I went back into the Microsoft store, and it only took a few minutes this time to get it replaced, and I started the restore there, waited until I got all the way to the start screen, and called my wife (sitting next to me), before we left. I put it in airplane mode for the drive home, to keep it from downloading the over 2GB that it took to restore. Now I'm working on getting it all set up the way I had it, but man, the backup/restore sure is nice.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday when my wife and I rode the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, and took these pictures, there were a few times that I tried to use the camera button and it wouldn't work. Wouldn't wake the phone, and if I turned the phone on, wouldn't switch to camera mode or take picture. It was temporary, only happened a few times, but I'm not going to deal with that. I bought the phone 10 days ago, so I took it back to the Microsoft Store where I bought it.

The phone they gave me, I didn't launch right away. I was going to wait until I got home in order to not burn up my data restoring the backup. Well, something told me to try it. It rebooted five timesa as I walked back to the Microsoft Store. It would get as far as the page to sign into your Microsoft account, and then if you did nothing it would reboot. If you tapped "Sign In," the sign in button would light up in the red accent color, and would stay lit up, and it would freeze right there.

I went back into the Microsoft store, and it only took a few minutes this time to get it replaced, and I started the restore there, waited until I got all the way to the start screen, and called my wife (sitting next to me), before we left. I put it in airplane mode for the drive home, to keep it from downloading the over 2GB that it took to restore. Now I'm working on getting it all set up the way I had it, but man, the backup/restore sure is nice.

so having to deal with apple restore and backup issues on a daily basis, when I restored my 928 from the 8X backup, I couldn't have been more perplexed...

Was it really that simple?

Why yes, yes it was ;)

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
so having to deal with apple restore and backup issues on a daily basis, when I restored my 928 from the 8X backup, I couldn't have been more perplexed...

Was it really that simple?

Why yes, yes it was ;)

Thanks for the NEW data (at least for us) ... so, the WP8 backup and restore ... WORKS ACROSS WP8 DEVICES (HTC 8X to Nokia 928) ... THAT is awesome - we all know that "new" WP8 phones ARE COMING this summer and the holiday 2013 season!

I "doubt" across carriers ... but could easily be wrong?

Last edited:

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Rich ... how did you get to a 2 GB "restore requirement" - was this mostly WP8 "basics" + what else?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Rich ... how did you get to a 2 GB "restore requirement" - was this mostly WP8 "basics" + what else?

Well, being that I have the WPCentral app pinned, and read most every article (as well as being a WP user for over 2 years), I download lots of things to check out later... Not always do I actually check them out and decide whether to keep them, so there were more than 220 apps/games downloading.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the NEW data (at least for us) ... so, the WP8 backup and restore ... WORKS ACROSS WP8 DEVICES (HTC 8X to Nokia 928) ... THAT is awesome - we all know that "new" WP8 phones ARE COMING this summer and the holiday 2013 season!

I "doubt" across carriers ... but could easily be wrong?
On the 16th, I did a restore of my 822 to my new 928. And I'd be shocked if it didn't work across carriers. It's done by your Microsoft account, not by your carrier.

Some tips:
If you can't be connected to WiFi right away when restoring, turn off your data as soon as you get to the start screen. Settings | Cellular (or turn on airplane mode)
I've done this a few times and I've seen a few quirks. One such quirk is that some of the phone settings will "say" what they are supposed to be in the small print under the setting, but won't actually change to that setting until you open the setting. You may not have to change anything, but you need to open the setting.
Backup does NOT backup your phone's data. It just stores a back-up list of your phone settings, and a list of your apps. It will NOT copy documents, photos (unless you have it automatically uploading photos to SkyDrive), music, game progress or data from apps. What it does in a restore is imports your phone settings, and does a push, sending all the apps that were installed at the last backup (you can force a backup at any time), and installs those apps.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Having Bluetooth issues...partners 920 does the same thing...when we turn our cars off the music randomly starts playing!

I don't think that's necessarily a bug. I've noticed that with mine as well. It seems the phone is doing its best to keep playing music, so when you turn your car off, the phone thinks, "Well I can play the music through the built-in speaker."

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Just bought one of these unlocked from a seller on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet, but am preparing for the worst when it comes to these bugs. If I experience the "goopy" Windows Button or any of these errors previously mentioned, should I return it to eBay or is the phone under a warranty through Nokia? Getting worried since I had to pay an out of contract price for it.

devspeed

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
This is more of an observation than a bug.
1. The other day at work my phone charged in about 3 hours using the wireless charger. Today using the supplied wired charger, a battery app (that I didn't have before) says it is only charging at 14% an hour.
2. The autocorrect seems to function better for me if using one finger to type instead of 2.

Will test the wireless charger again tomorrow and compare.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just bought one of these unlocked from a seller on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet, but am preparing for the worst when it comes to these bugs. If I experience the "goopy" Windows Button or any of these errors previously mentioned, should I return it to eBay or is the phone under a warranty through Nokia?

First, I hardly call the "problem" with the Windows button a deal-breaker - it's a minor aesthetic concern. Second, any warranty through the manufacturer is going to require that the phone was purchased through an authorized seller and sourced through authorized distribution channels. With an ebay purchase, it's possible, but it's probably less likely than if you would have bought it from a brick and mortar store.

fuclosure

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Today I recieved a text message which brought up my volume bar and after reading my message i found the back button turned up my volume but did not allow me to leave the message locking the screen and unlocking it cleared the volume bar and fixed the issue.

I have had this happen several times but it is not just limited to receiving a text message.

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just bought one of these unlocked from a seller on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet, but am preparing for the worst when it comes to these bugs. If I experience the "goopy" Windows Button or any of these errors previously mentioned, should I return it to eBay or is the phone under a warranty through Nokia? Getting worried since I had to pay an out of contract price for it.

Mine has been fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

M_Lyons10

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone noticing that the Find My Phone service is refusing to turn on? I have an 822 That is having texting problems and two 928's that won't start Find My Phone?

Thanks,

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Having Bluetooth issues...partners 920 does the same thing...when we turn our cars off the music randomly starts playing!
This is not an "issue" - it is by design (yeah, I know - bad design).

All 928s are unlocked. Bing "47 CFR 27:16" and scroll down to (e). Verizon is not allowed by the FCC to carrier lock their LTE devices because this regulation applies to the band that their LTE devices use.

Is anyone noticing that the Find My Phone service is refusing to turn on? I have an 822 That is having texting problems and two 928's that won't start Find My Phone
Go to the find my phone page, where the world map is, and actually click the Locate my Phone (or whatever it says) button. This works most of the time - it's like it needs a kick start for some reason.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This is not an "issue" - it is by design (yeah, I know - bad design).

Weird. It must have to do with how certain cars handle the BT connection. In general, my car's (VW) BT is... not great... but at least it/my 928 handle the disconnect properly - the 928 just pauses the music and I can quickly start it back up from the same spot when I get back in.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed with several BT devices (Logitech BT receiver in my car, LG Tone+ headset, a BT Soundbar, JBL Power Up speaker) that the state of audio seems to "toggle" if you connect or disconnect. If you pause the music, then disconnect BT, it will start playing again through phone speaker. If you disconnect while playing, play will stop. So I use Stop Music to be sure it's not going to come on and put me in an embarassing situation. Go into the app, then pin the tile from there. When you tap that tile now, the music will be stopped without you having to do anything else.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone noticing that the Find My Phone service is refusing to turn on? I have an 822 That is having texting problems and two 928's that won't start Find My Phone?

Thanks,

I had the same issue when I got my 928. I turned on "Find my Phone" on the phone and it says "Off". Then I went to the website and forced it to try and find the phone. It failed. I rebooted the phone and then tried to find it again from the webpage. THEN it found it. Phone still says the "Find My Phone" is "Off" but clearly, I can find it.

anon5954042

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or are is the ear piece more prone to dust getting in there then other phones and is there a better way to clean it besides compressed air?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium