Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

cloakandcipher

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I'm in the same boat as many are, as I've been thinking about buying the 928 for some time now. What would you all say the odds are of getting a phone without a defect? I can't tell if these 8 pages are the minority expected of a thread titled Bugs and Defects or it's more an eventuality getting a phone with problems. Also, I'm a little freaked about getting a phone with no heavy duty cases available. Does anyone know if any cases comparable to an otterbox are on the way?

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The person at Nokia that I've been talking to called last night but I wasn't able to take the call. Spoke with her on Monday, though, or maybe Tuesday, and she said that they hadn't heard of the goopy Start button problem, so I sent her links to this and a couple other threads, including the one with the picture, as well as sending a picture of my own phone. Let's see what happens...

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got my phone in the mail from Amazon and checked to see if the phone had any of the bezel spacing problems. Nope, so I proceeded to power it on and low and behold, the home button has two really ugly, bubbly black shapes on it and the back and search keys fade in brightness halfway through.

Also, I noticed the notification vibration causes the phone to make a noise like the a piece of plastic is loose near the top of the phone.

I am way to OCD to keep the device in this condition. I bought the phone last Friday and decided to return the device and wait another week or two (especially since the white phone is out of stock). I might even just go ahead and buy the phone from the Microsoft Store just for the convenience of being able to swap the device instantly if my 2nd or 3rd phone have other issues.

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My 928 showed the "Find My Phone' being off when it was actually on. I did a hard reset, and after that I no longer had the toggle switch for 'Find My Phone'. It now has two check boxes. I have a white one and I've noticed that there are two different shells for it. The one I have is smooth on the sides. The one I play with in the Microsoft store has a small ridge on the sides. Which do you all have?

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I see that Amazon has a new batch of black phones. I hope it is not just a new batch of 1st production run phones. I have the return authorization set up for my current phone with an expiration date of July 2. Last night I downloaded a bunch of games and apps (used up my $25 app credit and then some!), so I'm thinking about keeping it through the weekend so my kids and I can play. I'm having so much fun with it I don't want to let it go, and I do have that twinge of worry that my replacement phone will be worse than this one which I already have in my hand.

el-bori

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I see that Amazon has a new batch of black phones. I hope it is not just a new batch of 1st production run phones. I have the return authorization set up for my current phone with an expiration date of July 2. Last night I downloaded a bunch of games and apps (used up my $25 app credit and then some!), so I'm thinking about keeping it through the weekend so my kids and I can play. I'm having so much fun with it I don't want to let it go, and I do have that twinge of worry that my replacement phone will be worse than this one which I already have in my hand.

I got a black one yesterday and it does have the problem with the goopy windows button. They send it from Arizona. I'm getting a replacement today and they send it from KY. Hope this one doesn't have any problems because I'm really liking this black version.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I got a black one yesterday and it does have the problem with the goopy windows button. They send it from Arizona. I'm getting a replacement today and they send it from KY. Hope this one doesn't have any problems because I'm really liking this black version.

Did you get them to send you a replacement before sending your first phone back? They wouldn't do that for me.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
its more of an observation but I am not really very sure whether this is how the screen is supposed to work (probably a software fix is going to close it out??)
When I look at the black areas of the screen I could still see some light emanating from it. This is not the case with my E7, the black areas will be pitch black.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
its more of an observation but I am not really very sure whether this is how the screen is supposed to work (probably a software fix is going to close it out??)
When I look at the black areas of the screen I could still see some light emanating from it. This is not the case with my E7, the black areas will be pitch black.

I think I know what you are talking about, example would be the bottom bar of the wpcentral app vs the body of the posts in the app. I think what you are seeing is that some apps use "black" which is not fully black therefore some light is created to make the black/dark grey color. In the fully black areas it should look just as black as when the display is off because there is no backlight.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
well even I gave that point a thought... but can see light come out from the native Dark theme also, some how i feel that it defeats the purpose of an AMOLED's capability to conserve power.

Bryan Guidizi

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects - Freezes while answering call from lock screen

I searched on terms of 928 freezing and did not find this topic.
We have two Lumia 928 phones on Verizon, my phone is experiencing the problem, my wife's is not.
The proble is intermitent, but happened twice today. I received a phone call and swipe up to get to the options of answer, ingnore or reply with a text. The screen freezes at this point and allows me to answer the call only, the ignore or reply with a test options are not responsive. I can comlete the call but the screen stays frozen in the state of answer, ignore reply with a text. I can't hang up and when the caller on the other end hangs up the call ends and I am still frozen on this screen. This has happened about 5-6 times since getting the phone almost 3 weeks ago.
The only fix I have found is to power the phone off and on again.
Is this an isolated problem or is this a known bug?
Bryan

Bryan Guidizi

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects - Hot spot fix for crashing PC

Using a Lumia 928 on verizon with the internet sharing I found caused my Windows 7 PC to crash upon connecting to the Lumia hotspot. I found a thread for this issue on the 920 and the settings on your PC to correct this problem.
In your wireless settings once connect to your hotspot, go to properties andvanced and check the box for Enable Federal Information Processing Standards Compliance for this network (FIPS)
Once I checked this box, the blue screen of death stopped immediately. Oddly my Windows 7 PC never crashed before.
Screen shot attached of the settings on a Windows 7 PC

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 7

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Are you on a different carrier than your wife? At work, we're migrating from T-mobile to Verizon. I'm on the Verizon Nokia 928. Tmo people say they've sent me txts, even show me later, I never received. Don't know if it goes the other way or if its a Windows Phone issue. But its there for sure.

I would try to reprogram with *228. If that doesn't work call customer service... usually something like this is on the carrier side. I have no issues with texts coming in or outgoing.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had to replace my 928 yesterday. I think I had a faulty sensory, if I put the phone in my pocket for a few a minutes the touch screen would be unresponsive. If I left the phone out in the open it would keep working, and a soft reboot would always bring the touch screen back. I must say Microsoft has done a great job at backing up/restoring the phones. The only things I lost were my game saves.

el-bori

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Dang. I was about to call Amazon this morning and request that they do the same, but I see that the black 928 is out of stock again.

I got the new one yesterday and it has the same goopy windows button. I'm about to give up on this phone. This is the 4.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would try to reprogram with *228. If that doesn't work call customer service... usually something like this is on the carrier side. I have no issues with texts coming in or outgoing.

No disrespect, but please do not use *228 on this phone. It doesn't work and isn't necessary on LTE smartphones.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got the new one yesterday and it has the same goopy windows button. I'm about to give up on this phone. This is the 4.

I've got you beat, I'm going to be receiving #8 directly from Nokia this time. I emailed Stephen Elop and he (or most likely his secretary) put me in contact with their escalated support team and I have been dealing directly with them. I commend Nokia for doing this, but I think I'm giving up if the one directly from them also has defects. According to the person I'm dealing with, they are going to personally do a quality check with my defect list in mind before they send it off. We will see.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3