Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad I found this thread. I was seriously considering getting a 928, but the fact that there is a dedicated thread to discuss 928 bugs and defects and that it's 9 pages long after about 4 weeks is making me reevaluate things.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I found this thread. I was seriously considering getting a 928, but the fact that there is a dedicated thread to discuss 928 bugs and defects and that it's 9 pages long after about 4 weeks is making me reevaluate things.

This is no different than any other electronic device.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, you should note that while the 928 launched on 5/16, this thread was created on 5/11 in anticipation of problems, which occur in the manufacturing process of every device on its first run. Don't let this thread scare you away. We with problems are the vocal minority, just like in politics where it is the minority who makes the most noise.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Also, you should note that while the 928 launched on 5/16, this thread was created on 5/11 in anticipation of problems, which occur in the manufacturing process of every device on its first run. Don't let this thread scare you away. We with problems are the vocal minority, just like in politics where it is the minority who makes the most noise.

But that's just it - I'm trying to decide if I want to risk going with a first-run device. My past technology purchases have always been products that have been out long enough for the glaring bugs and problems to be mostly resolved. The cutting-edge of technology is a double edge. It's great to have the latest and greatest, but you also get to deal with all the little quirks and issues that didn't get ironed out before the product was released.

I very much want to support a platform other than Android and iOS, but I just need to decide whether I want to forego some features found only on those platforms and support BB10 or WP8 - platforms that are still, comparatively, in their infancy - hoping that they will be able to compete long enough to come into their own and establish themselves as viable and popular alternatives.

I very much WANT to Windows Phone and BlackBerry to succeed. When there is competition in the marketplace, we all win.

I just have to decide if I'm willing to be a "gamma tester" in order to enjoy the latest flagship Windows Phone device out there.

el-bori

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I've got you beat, I'm going to be receiving #8 directly from Nokia this time. I emailed Stephen Elop and he (or most likely his secretary) put me in contact with their escalated support team and I have been dealing directly with them. I commend Nokia for doing this, but I think I'm giving up if the one directly from them also has defects. According to the person I'm dealing with, they are going to personally do a quality check with my defect list in mind before they send it off. We will see.

Keep us update it. I'm sending 2 phones tomorrow back to Amazon.

justin071894

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I do have the "Find my phone" issue. It says Off in the settings screen, when It's in fact turned on. I also seem to have some issues with Wi-Fi. Not sure exactly how to describe it, it just doesn't seem to be as fast at connecting and turning on/off as it was on my Lumia 920.

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I do have the "Find my phone" issue. It says Off in the settings screen, when It's in fact turned on. I also seem to have some issues with Wi-Fi. Not sure exactly how to describe it, it just doesn't seem to be as fast at connecting and turning on/off as it was on my Lumia 920.

The find my phone bug even occurs on my HTC 8x so I think its a WP bug. But the goopy start button has me worried about buying one since I may not be able to test to see it in store before buying

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely going to keep you all updated. I am really curious to see if Nokia really does quality test and hand pick one for me. I will let you know!

They've told me that they'll send me one, but they're out of stock at the moment due to the selling through other channels. She said once they get one, they'll make sure it doesn't have the same defects I've told her about, and send it to me. I'm not in a hurry, since my current defect is cosmetic. And hey, if they wait long enough, maybe the limited edition colors will be out!

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

A handful of people (11) account for 4 pages worth of posting. I'm one of those 11 and only have very minor niggles. Let's get a grip.

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
anyone else have this issue:

when screen is off, under bright light, you can see what looks like streaks on certain portions of the glass. tried wiping it off to no avail. think it might be an issue with the various layers of the screen not melded together properly? it's almost as if the clearblack wasn't completely sealed for all of the screen. is this something that will get worse or degrade the screen's performance?

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got home with my new 928 and has the glue stuff under the start button :( couldn't test for it in store because it was bright and the buttons won't even work until you set the phone up completely from what I have seen. Maybe if they come on when u power up I could power up each one the store has till I find one that's better?

Looks like crap compared to my HTC 8x touch keys

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just got home with my new 928 and has the glue stuff under the start button :( couldn't test for it in store because it was bright and the buttons won't even work until you set the phone up completely from what I have seen. Maybe if they come on when u power up I could power up each one the store has till I find one that's better?

Looks like crap compared to my HTC 8x touch keys

Damn, that sucks man. Did you get the white or the black one? I had an 8X as well and even when these buttons don't have the gunk under the button, they still don't look nearly as nice as the 8X buttons.

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the white because it was all they had. But your right the buttons look yellowish instead or pure white. Some of the worst looking buttons honestly. Kinda wondering about the great Nokia quality I have been hearing about lol.

krycek1984

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
anyone else have this issue:

when screen is off, under bright light, you can see what looks like streaks on certain portions of the glass. tried wiping it off to no avail. think it might be an issue with the various layers of the screen not melded together properly? it's almost as if the clearblack wasn't completely sealed for all of the screen. is this something that will get worse or degrade the screen's performance?
I had the same uissue, and no it does not get better.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Got two of the white 928's (one for me, one for dad) within the first two weeks of availability. Dad's phone has the gloopy start button, mine is "ok" but I had hoped it would have been brighter. Major problem that I guess I'm going to have to take it back for is that my camera button has stopped working. Pressing the button 9 times out of 10 gets no response, only very occasionally now will it trigger the camera app and/or initiate a photo. This worked great for the first week but then after that it rapidly deteriorated. The button does not make the same healthy "click" sound that the volume and start buttons do, it just kind of moves. Makes me think that the button connection underneath has come loose.

Unless someone can make a suggestion for me I'm bringing this back to Best Buy for an exchange. If they even have one in stock to exchange. :cry:

After a brief runaround with Best Buy on the phone I finally got into the store to talk to the staff. Naturally there were no phones in stock but the kid behind the counter was incredibly helpful in finding the best solution for me. Ultimately they're going to put in a repair/junk request in and letting me hang onto my phone until a replacement comes into the store. After my two phone calls with Best Buy I was not feeling very hot about this exchange but Brendon was a real customer service guy, he knew I didn't want to go without my brand new phone for 1+ weeks and he worked a few channels to get me taken care of. Definitely changed my mind about Best Buy's service at least, although not stocking the phones still irks me. He's even gonna see if he can get me a black one instead of my white. :grin:

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3