Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

Bull3232

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the problem with dropped calls as well. Mine sounds similar to the problem Penny posted earlier. Calls will randomly go silent on my end. Happens sometimes in the middle of a call, or in the beginning(before I hear it ringing) Seems that everytime the person on the other end can still hear me, but I can't hear them. I need to do some more testing first, but it also seems that if I switch to speaker, I can hear them again. It's hard to pin point, because it doesn't happen everytime. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
I called Verizon and they made a note of it, and sounds like they will replace it whenever I want, but I am worried I am not going to get a new phone and stuck with a refurbished.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
After a brief runaround with Best Buy on the phone I finally got into the store to talk to the staff. Naturally there were no phones in stock but the kid behind the counter was incredibly helpful in finding the best solution for me. Ultimately they're going to put in a repair/junk request in and letting me hang onto my phone until a replacement comes into the store. After my two phone calls with Best Buy I was not feeling very hot about this exchange but Brendon was a real customer service guy, he knew I didn't want to go without my brand new phone for 1+ weeks and he worked a few channels to get me taken care of. Definitely changed my mind about Best Buy's service at least, although not stocking the phones still irks me. He's even gonna see if he can get me a black one instead of my white. :grin:

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

The saga continues...
So it looks like the store manager ixnayed the idea of trying to get me a phone ordered before I had to turn mine in, so I am still having to wait a week before getting my replacement. Back to my HTC Trophy. There isn't a single Lumia 928 in the entire Best Buy Tampa Bay area that they could transfer over. Where the hell are people getting their 928s? Although I can't say I'm surprised at all that we're not being represented in stores it still bothers me.

My dad and I have been batting this idea around after our experience recently, how long until they drop Windows Phone at Best Buy because "sales are terrible" while conveniently ignoring the fact that IF ITS NOT ON THE SHELF IT WON'T SELL. I really hope this is unique to my area cause its disheartening to think that some muckity-muck in corporate is almost deliberately killing Windows Phone sales.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The saga continues...
So it looks like the store manager ixnayed the idea of trying to get me a phone ordered before I had to turn mine in, so I am still having to wait a week before getting my replacement. Back to my HTC Trophy. There isn't a single Lumia 928 in the entire Best Buy Tampa Bay area that they could transfer over. Where the hell are people getting their 928s? Although I can't say I'm surprised at all that we're not being represented in stores it still bothers me.

My dad and I have been batting this idea around after our experience recently, how long until they drop Windows Phone at Best Buy because "sales are terrible" while conveniently ignoring the fact that IF ITS NOT ON THE SHELF IT WON'T SELL. I really hope this is unique to my area cause its disheartening to think that some muckity-muck in corporate is almost deliberately killing Windows Phone sales.

I hate dealing with Best Buy. That's why I drive an hour to my nearest MS Store to get MS stuff. (that being said I have my final interview for Geek Squad today lol)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There are very good reasons that I started calling it Worst Buy more than half a dozen years ago... No offense, Berty, but back in about '06 my laptop took four trips to Geek Squad City for repairs, and each time came back in worse condition than when it was sent. I don't remember what the original defect was, but it came back with a bad motherboard - no video. Got home, plugged it in, turned it on, went back to the store immediately to get it there before closing time so they could send it out first thing in the am. Came back with the DVD drawer not closing unless I "tweaked" it to get it closed. Sent it back with a note saying "Don't let George Whateverhislastname was #whateverhisnumberwas touch my computer, as he has broken it twice already". Got it back with a physically broken USB port and this time no paper saying who'd worked on it.

Used it for a while, because I was in school and needed it. End of semester, went to the store to get it replaced under lemon clause. They told me it had only been repaired twice, so didn't qualify. Sent it back in to get the USB repaired, and when it came back it would not power on. Managed to get credit for purchase price, because I stuck to my guns on the specs, as this was one of few laptops at the time with dedicated video RAM, so they couldn't match the specs in giving me a replacement. So I bought a PC in the store for just over that amount, and sold it on ebay with the box still sealed, and bought a Dell (before Dell started going down hill).

I hope you can be an improvement in the Geek Squad... :wink:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There are very good reasons that I started calling it Worst Buy more than half a dozen years ago... No offense, Berty, but back in about '06 my laptop took four trips to Geek Squad City for repairs, and each time came back in worse condition than when it was sent. I don't remember what the original defect was, but it came back with a bad motherboard - no video. Got home, plugged it in, turned it on, went back to the store immediately to get it there before closing time so they could send it out first thing in the am. Came back with the DVD drawer not closing unless I "tweaked" it to get it closed. Sent it back with a note saying "Don't let George Whateverhislastname was #whateverhisnumberwas touch my computer, as he has broken it twice already". Got it back with a physically broken USB port and this time no paper saying who'd worked on it.

Used it for a while, because I was in school and needed it. End of semester, went to the store to get it replaced under lemon clause. They told me it had only been repaired twice, so didn't qualify. Sent it back in to get the USB repaired, and when it came back it would not power on. Managed to get credit for purchase price, because I stuck to my guns on the specs, as this was one of few laptops at the time with dedicated video RAM, so they couldn't match the specs in giving me a replacement. So I bought a PC in the store for just over that amount, and sold it on ebay with the box still sealed, and bought a Dell (before Dell started going down hill).

I hope you can be an improvement in the Geek Squad... :wink:

haha no feelings hurt. I personally would never use Geek Squad, they are terrible to deal with and most the time don't know what they are doing! Everything at Best Buy is overpriced and they sell you things you don't need!

But id love for them to pay my bills! hehe

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
haha no feelings hurt. I personally would never use Geek Squad, they are terrible to deal with and most the time don't know what they are doing! Everything at Best Buy is overpriced and they sell you things you don't need!

You should shoot for manager position. I watched that woman stand around chatting it up the entire time I was waiting for someone to attend to me. She even acknowledged my ticket a few times to other employees when they asked what a "junk out" was. Pretty sweet gig.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You should shoot for manager position. I watched that woman stand around chatting it up the entire time I was waiting for someone to attend to me. She even acknowledged my ticket a few times to other employees when they asked what a "junk out" was. Pretty sweet gig.

technically I would be Geek Squad and if you ask them they are a separate business from Best Buy, if you ask Best Buy they are a unit of Best Buy. I doubt they'd put me on the floor or anything like that, just repairs and customer service area.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

No doubt. The only reason I bought that computer at Best Buy was because at the time I needed it quick and it was on sale, and I let myself get suckered into the extended warranty (Never buy one).

Good luck with letting them pay the bills!

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the problem with dropped calls as well. Mine sounds similar to the problem Penny posted earlier. Calls will randomly go silent on my end. Happens sometimes in the middle of a call, or in the beginning(before I hear it ringing) Seems that everytime the person on the other end can still hear me, but I can't hear them. I need to do some more testing first, but it also seems that if I switch to speaker, I can hear them again. It's hard to pin point, because it doesn't happen everytime. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
I called Verizon and they made a note of it, and sounds like they will replace it whenever I want, but I am worried I am not going to get a new phone and stuck with a refurbished.

Hmm, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing to know that others are experiencing the same problem. I was convinced that it was a hardware issue at first, something like a loose connection around the speaker. If more people are having the same problem though, there's potential that it might be a software issue.

To update my situation, my random earpiece drop-outs continued since I posted that issue here a few weeks ago. I went to Verizon today and they ordered a refurb unit to be sent to my house. In the meanwhile, the Verizon employee did a hard reset on my phone, just as standard procedure (to make sure it's not a software issue). So I'm on Day 1 of the reset, and I will test it out for the next few days before the refurb device arrives to see if the problem has gone away. If the problem has gone away, the employee told me I can just not sign for the refurb unit when it arrives and I won't be charged anything.

I'll update this thread in a few days to let you guys know if the problem came back.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing to know that others are experiencing the same problem. I was convinced that it was a hardware issue at first, something like a loose connection around the speaker. If more people are having the same problem though, there's potential that it might be a software issue.

To update my situation, my random earpiece drop-outs continued since I posted that issue here a few weeks ago. I went to Verizon today and they ordered a refurb unit to be sent to my house. In the meanwhile, the Verizon employee did a hard reset on my phone, just as standard procedure (to make sure it's not a software issue). So I'm on Day 1 of the reset, and I will test it out for the next few days before the refurb device arrives to see if the problem has gone away. If the problem has gone away, the employee told me I can just not sign for the refurb unit when it arrives and I won't be charged anything.

I'll update this thread in a few days to let you guys know if the problem came back.

Well, that didn't take long. I can confirm that the earpiece drop-out problem did return, even after the hard reset, indicating that it is a hardware problem. I'll be switching this out for the refurb unit (sigh) when it arrives. Considering how rampant the gunky soft-key problem seems to be, I just hope the refurb doesn't suffer from that.

Bull3232

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, that didn't take long. I can confirm that the earpiece drop-out problem did return, even after the hard reset, indicating that it is a hardware problem. I'll be switching this out for the refurb unit (sigh) when it arrives. Considering how rampant the gunky soft-key problem seems to be, I just hope the refurb doesn't suffer from that.

that's exactly what I'm worried about as well... Going to call them for a replacement today.

surfer657

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
When I read and/or delete e-mails from my Lumia 928, they do not appear as read/deleted when I am accessing e-mail through my desktop and laptop computers. The vice versa also happens: If I read/delete e-mails that have already been synced to the phone while I am in Gmail or Yahoo! online, they do not appear as read nor disappear from the Lumia 928. I saw that another user posted about this several times and finally came up with the solution of deleting the accounts from her Lumia 928 and re-entering them, whereupon they worked just fine. I did this and then performed a soft reset, but am still experiencing the same issues. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When I read and/or delete e-mails from my Lumia 928, they do not appear as read/deleted when I am accessing e-mail through my desktop and laptop computers. The vice versa also happens: If I read/delete e-mails that have already been synced to the phone while I am in Gmail or Yahoo! online, they do not appear as read nor disappear from the Lumia 928. I saw that another user posted about this several times and finally came up with the solution of deleting the accounts from her Lumia 928 and re-entering them, whereupon they worked just fine. I did this and then performed a soft reset, but am still experiencing the same issues. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
The only way I can get them to sync correctly is after deleting from the phone, press the sync button again.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Is this the case even with Outlook email accounts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I think that they sync fine if you give it a chance. What I believe is that for "push" email, like hotmail/live/outlook.com and outlook exchange, the mail will be pushed to your phone immediately. If you read or delete it and then wait for the next email to be pushed, then I believe the sync is........"in sync". I used to obsessively check my emails on the computer and the phone. Now I just relax a bit and allow the sync to work without my intervention. I hope this makes sense.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think that they sync fine if you give it a chance. What I believe is that for "push" email, like hotmail/live/outlook.com and outlook exchange, the mail will be pushed to your phone immediately. If you read or delete it and then wait for the next email to be pushed, then I believe the sync is........"in sync". I used to obsessively check my emails on the computer and the phone. Now I just relax a bit and allow the sync to work without my intervention. I hope this makes sense.

It does make sense, thanks. I'm hoping that getting into WP8 will help me be less obsessively tied to my phone with the whole 'get in, get out' thing, so I think it'll be fine for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss