Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would tend to agree. The glass isn't going to just crack on its own. You said he had it in his shirt pocket - he probably leaned against something, banged it, or something like that, without noticing. Having worked in device warranties for one of the largest insurance companies in the world, I'd say his chances of winning this one are very slim, to the point of almost nonexistent.

q21701

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I understand what forces are involved to crack gorilla glass, but this isn't anything I've seen before (I've worked for radio shack for over 12 years). Its like someone took a glass cutter scored it cracked a clean straight line on the inside of the phone. This crack can't be felt. And it looks like the crack worked its way from the inside out. That's what perplexes me, its not your typical crack.

Manifest78

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I see this problem time to time(maybe once a week ?) where all connections just drop, even on wi-fi. After a reboot it solves this problem but, I never saw this issue with my old (that I sold), HTC 8X.

Does anyone else have this problem or is my phone defective and should I return it to get fixed or should I wait for a update to come down ?

During this anything that uses data does not work, No web, no email, no app updates...

That's similar to what happened with my original and replacement 928. I work in a data center where reception is spotty. I would get emails and other notifications and then nothing. When I go outside on break the phone will show that it has full bars but no actual data connections. If I turn on wifi, the system will reboot and then everything starts to work without issue. I also noticed that if backup assistant plus fails during this time my unit will reboot itself. Weird.

pugpuggle

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
?My white 928 has the gunky buttons.
?When I'm viewing my phone (in the dark is usually when I notice this) and the screen is mostly black (except for some text at the top or when its completely black, but on) I get blobs of random dark black pixels (always in the same spot whenever this happens), but they disappear once the screen shows other colors.
?Another problem is that I occasionally find my phone powered down and unable to turn on (twice already). I begin to panic after holding down the power button doesn't work, and I plug it in the charger and try putting it on the wireless charger and I get no response, then I hold down the power button for 2 seconds and it powers back on with its 70% battery left.

WPButtcheeks

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
?My white 928 has the gunky buttons.
?When I'm viewing my phone (in the dark is usually when I notice this) and the screen is mostly black (except for some text at the top or when its completely black, but on) I get blobs of random dark black pixels (always in the same spot whenever this happens), but they disappear once the screen shows other colors.
?Another problem is that I occasionally find my phone powered down and unable to turn on (twice already). I begin to panic after holding down the power button doesn't work, and I plug it in the charger and try putting it on the wireless charger and I get no response, then I hold down the power button for 2 seconds and it powers back on with its 70% battery left.
The same thing happened to me 3 times with my phone powering off and only responding to a soft reset. I performed a hard reset and haven't experienced a power down in 3 weeks *knocks on wood * other than that experience I love my Lumia 928! <3

xyhchina

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't work, there seems to be bugs in it. I live in UK and has Internet Sharing as part of my plan, but it doesn't turn on either.

xyhchina

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
EXACTLY!!!!!!! I almost shout when I see this!! I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you do. Internet Sharing worked once, then after that every time I turned on, it appeared to be stuck at the loading page, there seems to be bugs in it. I live in UK and has Internet Sharing as part of my plan, but it doesn't turn on either.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone for a month and a half. New problem started today. I have connectivity, 3-4 LTE bars, everything is working fine then suddenly no apps can get connected to the internet. LTE bars still show connectivity. A soft reset is required to get connectivity through the apps. This has happened twice today. I haven't installed any new apps recently nor changed any settings. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's happened again today. Same rough time, lunch time, same location, Washington DC. I have 3 LTE bars. Tried to play Wordament and it couldn't connect. Opened WPCentral app and get "Network Error - Could not connect to WPCentral.com: An exception occurred during a WebClient request." This is really pissing me off. I double press the back button several times to clear all apps in holding just in case it makes a difference, then try opening WPCentral app again but I get the same error.

Edit 2: Okay I locked the screen and let it sit for a minute, unlock the screen, and now everything works fine. Weird.

Last edited:

UncleRegis

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Got my phone just a few weeks ago. I've been having problems with Messaging working consistently. I'll be texting with someone back/forth when after awhile message pops up saying I cannot send message. I looked up the problem and it said to delete thread and restart phone and everything should work fine. And it does. The problem is it didn't just happen one time. It's been happening more and more frequently. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of a texting conversation and other times it will be my first text of the afternoon. In the mean time, I'm not able to receive texts when this occurring . If I don't send out a text and get the message back saying it can't send texts, I don't realize there is a problem and that I'm missing incoming texts. When I do get my texts up and working again, I have no way to retrieve the texts that I missed when Messaging wasn't working. I don't want to have to delete all of my text threads randomly throughout the day just to make sure my Messaging is working.

First of all I like to save my texts and there is no way to back it up. Oh, right... the alleged "sky drive back up" where I've always had the back up enabled for text messages but apparently we can't see them anywhere and don't have access to them. AND on top of that, apparently if you delete your messages on your phone it deletes it from Sky Drive. What's the point of that? I want to LOVE my new Windows phone but without a reliable Messaging app and without a legit backup (I came from using a Droid where a 3rd party app let me save right to my Gmail), I'm just not a fan right now. :angry:

Can anyone help me fix this Messgaging problem for good? Anyone recommend an app that will save my text messages without having to give my contacts a separate number for texting from my phone number?

Things I've tried: I've restarted my phone dozens of times and have also done a soft reset. I've also played around with enabling wireless and disabling wireless just to see if that had any effect.
Thanks for your help.

IamTech1000

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Well let me start by saying since first seeing the 928 last Friday I had been intrigued and interested in getting the 928. So today was the day. I was excited wen I left the store, but by the time I got home I quickly went from excited to totally PISSED OFF! There is this freaking line on the left side of my screen that will not go away. I did a hard and a soft reset........nothing! So I came on here to see if anyone has had the same thing on their phone, and if so how did they get it off the screen? This is not a good first impression! I'm definitely is gonna take but if my anger is the same tomorrow as it is right now.........I may just go for something else.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey IamTech1000,

Not sure exactly what the problem looks like on your end, but I know that when it comes to displays in general, a permanent vertical line is usually the result of an issue with bad pixels. So, it sounds like a hardware problem with the display, and one that isn't very common for mobile phones. I'd take it back into your store and just get it replaced unless you find another possible cause and solution.

pcsavvy

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I got my 928 at the beginning of this month. Just a little while ago, my phone went completely dead. Pushed the power button, plugged phone into the charger than my home computer, screen completely black and no response. Computer could not find my phone. Headed to this forum and read the instructions about how to reset the phone. Followed the instructions for a soft reset and the phone popped back on. Though initially the graph for cellular service showed an x through it, after a minute or two, the graph showed LTE service. The battery graph shows 3/4 full of charge. Leaving hooked into my computer to charge up. Oh my gosh, talk about a panicked moment.

pkeegs

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Ringtones texted to my windows phone can play, however the save as ringtone is greyed out? Tried forwarding to email then downloading but again it just plays and there is no option to save as ringtone, frustrating. I miss some of the functionality of my droid devices. Also I have the windows button with goop under the plastic as do many of the people in the forum. I can only see it when it's lit up.

Drewkkake

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I decided that I could live with the yellowish capacitive buttons (though it definitely is a slight annoyance), but my real issue is with the (non-call) audio. Not only does the phone occasionally emit a single, quiet "pop" when I'm not using it, there is a significant amount of static/white noise underneath all system sounds and media playback. If, for example, I swipe up on my lock screen to unlock, my phone will play the unlock sound, but then static will continue for about two seconds before shutting off.

This occurs whether I have headphones in or am using the rear speaker. Anyone else having this issue? I thought at first that maybe the rear speaker just wasn't that great on this phone, but I'm becoming more convinced that this is a unit-specific defect, and that I should seek a replacement.

Dev92

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I noticed today that calls with my 928 sound distorted, when it was fine before. The calls sound "underwater" even though when I put them on speaker it sounds clear. Frustration..

IamTech1000

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey IamTech1000,

Not sure exactly what the problem looks like on your end, but I know that when it comes to displays in general, a permanent vertical line is usually the result of an issue with bad pixels. So, it sounds like a hardware problem with the display, and one that isn't very common for mobile phones. I'd take it back into your store and just get it replaced unless you find another possible cause and solution.

Yea you was right it was an issue with bad pixels. It was coming and going all day, so I just returned it and went back to my old phone. Hopefully down the line VZW will have another WP device that I would get.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

q21701

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I would tend to agree. The glass isn't going to just crack on its own. You said he had it in his shirt pocket - he probably leaned against something, banged it, or something like that, without noticing. Having worked in device warranties for one of the largest insurance companies in the world, I'd say his chances of winning this one are very slim, to the point of almost nonexistent.

I jut wanted to let you know, Nokia customer service was very intrigued to hear this. They replaced the phone, no charge, because they want to examine it and see what exactly happened. Once again proving Nokia customer service is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs