Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I jut wanted to let you know, Nokia customer service was very intrigued to hear this. They replaced the phone, no charge, because they want to examine it and see what exactly happened. Once again proving Nokia customer service is awesome.

Wow. That's amazing. Glad your experience with their customer service was better than mine.

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
We have a number of 928s on our corp plan and all of them have some sort of issue. Issues range from:
  • BlueTooth crashing the phone when switching from car to headset, vice versa, or streaming music
  • Phones suddenly get hot and shut off - this has only happened twice, but it has randomly happened to all our 928s
  • Chat function in Messaging has never been able to connect
  • Texting randomly stops working, phone has to be rebooted
  • Notification sounds don't always work - ie, when getting a text/email you may or may not get a sound
  • And for a general WP8 issue, not playing WAV files is bull****. The biggest complaint we get - DAILY - enough where we'll be forced to consider a new platform
After reading the posts I see Internet Sharing problems, which ironically has worked great for us. I personally switched to VZW/928 (corp plan) from AT&T/920 and it's seems that whatever VZW has done to the phone has f'd it up more than helped it. I can't wait to get off of VZW and back onto AT&T/920 or 1020 - not to mention that data service from VZW is not nearly as good as AT&T in North NJ. We've had a lot of complaints of data coverage problems, or very slow data service - voice works great though.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a few bugs but nothing has made the phone unusable.
1.phone feature froze on ending call once - everything else was fine I just couldn't hang up. An incoming call probably would have fixed this.
2. Audio got stuck at 0 the other day when music was playing and I plugged in the aux cable without pausing the music first.
3. Camera went green screen on me today.

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
We have 7 of them...typo - I meant the shut off part - they all get randomly hot. Nonetheless, they're **** poor quality for Nokia and it's likely we'll be dumping them, along with the platform, if the next update (if it ever shows with VZW) doesn't address/fix at least some of these issues.

sonerb81

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I bought the L928 yesterday(used). Overall I do enjoy the phone however I have a few complaints. First of all, when the background of a page or app is white and I tilt the phone just a tiny bit, a blue hue appears (Not sure how else to describe it). I searched this forum but didn't see anything related. After this post, I'll go back and read every post.

Also, I have the same gunky button issues that some of you have but that doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is the fact that within less than 24 hours, the phone screen became unresponsive to my touch a few times. After the screen becomes unresponsive and I press the home button or the back button, they work fine. However, when I click anything on the actual screen itself it just is unresponsive. Anyone had the same problem? Got a fix for it? What I did was just turn off the screen by pressing the power button and it worked fine. Altough i don't think that's an acceptable fix for it.

Finally, after viewing a lot of videos and pictures online I was excited about the low light images of this phone. However, at my first couple attempts I got pretty bad results. I took the same picture with a L928 and iPhone 4s and actually 4s did better even though both resulted in a pretty bad quality pictures (blurry) Both phones on default setting btw. I will read the related topics but I also wanted to post this here if anyone has a quick explanation.

Btw, I bought the L521 just to play with it. And I didn't have the blue hue or unresponsiveness issues with that phone. I am wondering if I bought a defective phone.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just had a random reboot. I plugged the USB into my computer about 10min prior but my phone had just been sitting idle since then.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I am on my 12th 928 and also have an S4, but I think I actually might just go back to my Note 2. There are a lot of shortcomings with the S4 as well. Build quality isn't one of them though. Have to decide this week whether to return the 928 and S4. I am getting the slight rattle on vibrate with the 928 and don't have goopy buttons but they are very dim and yellow. Once Nokia stopped manufacturing their own phones the quality decreased. They might not even be in business buy the end of this year. I think I have just talked myself into returning the 928 for sure and will have to spend more time with the S4.

"12th 928"??!! Damn! Well, at least, no one can say that you didn't give it a chance!

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I bought the L928 yesterday(used). Overall I do enjoy the phone however I have a few complaints. First of all, when the background of a page or app is white and I tilt the phone just a tiny bit, a blue hue appears (Not sure how else to describe it). I searched this forum but didn't see anything related. After this post, I'll go back and read every post.

Also, I have the same gunky button issues that some of you have but that doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is the fact that within less than 24 hours, the phone screen became unresponsive to my touch a few times. After the screen becomes unresponsive and I press the home button or the back button, they work fine. However, when I click anything on the actual screen itself it just is unresponsive. Anyone had the same problem? Got a fix for it? What I did was just turn off the screen by pressing the power button and it worked fine. Altough i don't think that's an acceptable fix for it.

Finally, after viewing a lot of videos and pictures online I was excited about the low light images of this phone. However, at my first couple attempts I got pretty bad results. I took the same picture with a L928 and iPhone 4s and actually 4s did better even though both resulted in a pretty bad quality pictures (blurry) Both phones on default setting btw. I will read the related topics but I also wanted to post this here if anyone has a quick explanation.

Btw, I bought the L521 just to play with it. And I didn't have the blue hue or unresponsiveness issues with that phone. I am wondering if I bought a defective phone.

In response to low light shots, I had a unimpressive first couple of shots as well. I've noticed the shots come out much better if you sit still and hold the shutter button down until the shot is complete. OIS helps with the exposure but having a steady hand will ensure you don't blur your results.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Take a look at the pics with your 928 thread. Lots of good info in that thread.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I decided that I could live with the yellowish capacitive buttons (though it definitely is a slight annoyance), but my real issue is with the (non-call) audio. Not only does the phone occasionally emit a single, quiet "pop" when I'm not using it, there is a significant amount of static/white noise underneath all system sounds and media playback. If, for example, I swipe up on my lock screen to unlock, my phone will play the unlock sound, but then static will continue for about two seconds before shutting off.

This occurs whether I have headphones in or am using the rear speaker. Anyone else having this issue? I thought at first that maybe the rear speaker just wasn't that great on this phone, but I'm becoming more convinced that this is a unit-specific defect, and that I should seek a replacement.

On my phone, I can't hear the white noise unless I put my ear against the speaker so it's not an issue for me. My big issue is that single, quiet pop noise that you are getting too. Do you think we both got defective speakers? Anyone else having this too?

pugpuggle

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
After hard reseting my phone due to issues of randomly shutting off,
-I now also have an issue when my earbuds are plugged in and the volume starts to flicker from 2 and 3 really quickly then randomly starts increasing to 9 then to volume 12 (which forcing the volume/music popup to be stuck on the screen), I soft reset it then change the volume back to 2, I soft reset again and its back to 12.

-My speakers randomly make quiet popping sounds like the post above stated

-Also when I tap my phone on the JBL Powerup speaker occasionally it just randomly causes my phone to reboot.

I want to love this phone, but its getting frustrating that the problems become worse after doing a hard reset (which also took 3 hours stuck on moving gears and would only become fixed after removing the sim card and rebooting the phone.

sonerb81

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
In response to low light shots, I had a unimpressive first couple of shots as well. I've noticed the shots come out much better if you sit still and hold the shutter button down until the shot is complete. OIS helps with the exposure but having a steady hand will ensure you don't blur your results.

Take a look at the pics with your 928 thread. Lots of good info in that thread.

Thanks for the responses guys. I took some more shots yesterday and I am still unimpressed. I will keep reading and keep trying. I tried to play around with ISO and exposure but it seems that I still have to invest more time to get better results.

somerandomguy1

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
photo.jpgSo my screen has this weird what looks like a smudge on the screen but when I wipe it it doesn't go away! I had a bigger one on my 928 that I got last week and returned it to Verizon. They gave me a new one and it was fine but all of the sudden same thing! How do I get rid of it? It's really bugging me even though it's small. If I wipe it when a microfiber cloth it goes away but the second there is finger smudge over it, it shows plain of day.

Last edited:

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After hard reseting my phone due to issues of randomly shutting off,
-I now also have an issue when my earbuds are plugged in and the volume starts to flicker from 2 and 3 really quickly then randomly starts increasing to 9 then to volume 12 (which forcing the volume/music popup to be stuck on the screen), I soft reset it then change the volume back to 2, I soft reset again and its back to 12.

-My speakers randomly make quiet popping sounds like the post above stated

-Also when I tap my phone on the JBL Powerup speaker occasionally it just randomly causes my phone to reboot.

I want to love this phone, but its getting frustrating that the problems become worse after doing a hard reset (which also took 3 hours stuck on moving gears and would only become fixed after removing the sim card and rebooting the phone.

Did you get a replacement phone? If the phone takes so long to reset then I would go get a replacement. I wasn't so concerned about the popping noise but it is starting to get on my nerves. I'm thinking of getting a replacement just for it but then I'm concerned the replacement would have more issues.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
My loudspeaker now distorts audio past 25/30. I know I shouldn't listen to it at 30, but my trophy always went to 30 without any problems for 2 years. I don't want to trade mine in though cause I haven't had any of the defects listed in this thread.

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 38170So my screen has this weird what looks like a smudge on the screen but when I wipe it it doesn't go away! I had a bigger one on my 928 that I got last week and returned it to Verizon. They gave me a new one and it was fine but all of the sudden same thing! How do I get rid of it? It's really bugging me even though it's small. If I wipe it when a microfiber cloth it goes away but the second there is finger smudge over it, it shows plain of day.
Can't see the image, but sounds like what I have. I think it's caused by a defect in application of the Clearblack layer of the screen. Really visible and irritating in daylight.

Conissah

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a really annoying problem with my phone receiving messages 2-3 times. It doesn't do it to every message, just random ones. Its extremely annoying. I've already powered down my phone, and did a soft reset. I'm trying to avoid a hard reset so I don't lose all my stuff. Any suggestions?

KuraiNozomi

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having issues sending specific characters via text?
For some reason when I send a text message a character will send to someone else as a different character...
2 I have noticed; I will send "^" or "~" and they show up as ",," and ",=" to someone else....I get them fine when they send them to me, but when I send they don't send correctly.
Also, when I try to send texts or pics, sometimes it tells me I fail to send and to retry(I have bars or am on wifi when this happens, so it shouldn't be an issue), so I click the retry and it won't go through...I usually have to retype the message then it sends just fine...just a bit of an inconvenience. ):
Is the first one something I have to wait for an update for? Or is it just my phone? /:
Thanks.

Edit: I have both hard reset and soft reset and it still happens, so yeah.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having issues sending specific characters via text?
For some reason when I send a text message a character will send to someone else as a different character...
2 I have noticed; I will send "^" or "~" and they show up as ",," and ",=" to someone else....I get them fine when they send them to me, but when I send they don't send correctly.
Also, when I try to send texts or pics, sometimes it tells me I fail to send and to retry(I have bars or am on wifi when this happens, so it shouldn't be an issue), so I click the retry and it won't go through...I usually have to retype the message then it sends just fine...just a bit of an inconvenience. ):
Is the first one something I have to wait for an update for? Or is it just my phone? /:
Thanks.

Edit: I have both hard reset and soft reset and it still happens, so yeah.
only a few are universal across platforms I think. If sending to other nokias, it should probably come up as what you sent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium