Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

connorscanlin

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Post below if you think your Nokia Lumia 928 has any issues or isn't behaving as it should. This thread is for the discussion of any hardware or software issues.

Below is an overview of some of the terminology you may come across:

[note]
Soft Reset: By pressing down the Volume Down + Power buttons for 10-15 seconds (or until the device vibrates) you can perform a soft reset on your device. This is a little bit like a factory reset for your phone's OS only you get to keep all of your personal data. Think of it like restarting your PC. This is the first thing you should try if your device is behaving oddly.

Hard Reset: By going to settings>about>reset your phone you can completely wipe your phone of your personal data (ideal if you're going to send in your phone for repair or sell it). Your phone will turn off and you'll see spinning gears for a while (up to an hour or so) and when it's done you will see the same screens you saw when you first turned on your phone out of the box. You'll have to sign in with your Microsoft account again and start over.

How to make your Lumia's batter last longer: See the thread over at the Nokia Discussion Forum here.

How to reset your device's camera: Go to settings>applications>photos+camera>reset.
[/note]

Remember to keep your posts as descriptive as possible so that we can try to help you fix your issue as quickly as possible!

connorscanlin

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok my phone probably freezes twice everyday and I have to do that stupid restart thing, and most of my games (which are horrible and you should probably do something about it) freeze or randomly the screen messes up and I have to open the app again

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So recently, I noticed that my phone is starting to make a subtle rattling noise when I shake it a little. The rattling is also noticeable when I'm simply tapping at the screen. Also, when my phone vibrates, the rattling is pretty noticeable and starting to irritate me. After investigating a little, I realize that it's the camera lens that is making the noise. I have never dropped my phone so it baffles me how the camera lens/OIS could start rattling after a couple weeks.

Does anybody else have this problem? Should I get an exchange?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So recently, I noticed that my phone is starting to make a subtle rattling noise when I shake it a little. The rattling is also noticeable when I'm simply tapping at the screen. Also, when my phone vibrates, the rattling is pretty noticeable and starting to irritate me. After investigating a little, I realize that it's the camera lens that is making the noise. I have never dropped my phone so it baffles me how the camera lens/OIS could start rattling after a couple weeks.

Does anybody else have this problem? Should I get an exchange?

Well, due to the OIS mechanism, you will hear the camera rattle when you shake the phone. But you should test out the camera to see that it's still taking normal/good low light pictures to make sure some part of the OIS mechanism isn't broken

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I understand the OIS mechanism will cause some kind of rattling but the rattle is noticeable even when I am just texting a message. It's starting to bother me cause I would text in a quiet room and it feels like I am holding a rattler. Pictures seem to be coming out fine although I did notice the camera is having a bit of trouble focusing on certain subjects even if I use tap to focus.

I had to do a warranty replacement on my first 928 and I don't recall it having this rattling issue in the 4 months of me having it. So it's a bit concerning that my second 928 developed this issue within a month.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I understand the OIS mechanism will cause some kind of rattling but the rattle is noticeable even when I am just texting a message. It's starting to bother me cause I would text in a quiet room and it feels like I am holding a rattler. Pictures seem to be coming out fine although I did notice the camera is having a bit of trouble focusing on certain subjects even if I use tap to focus.

I had to do a warranty replacement on my first 928 and I don't recall it having this rattling issue in the 4 months of me having it. So it's a bit concerning that my second 928 developed this issue within a month.

Oh! Your vibrate motor might have come loose. I've had that issue on so many Nokia's, it's such a joke. My 900 had a rattly vibrate, and my first 920 had a rattly vibrate, but my second one was fine. If you're not having any other issues, I would keep what you have, because the rattling will be the least of your problems if your replacement has a blotchy screen or gunky windows button, or freezing multiple times a day.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, you might be right. When I shake my phone side to side I can hear a very light clinking from the camera lenses which is comparable in sound to an iphone's camera lenses. But when I shake the phone screen facing flat in a up and down motion, the noise is this loud rattle. I did notice when my phone vibrates it's very rattly depending on how it sits on my desk (either face up or face down). Plus, I don't even need to shake the phone and I can still hear something moving around inside, that's what bothers me.

Unfortunately, this is my 2nd replacement and it has a little gunk on the windows button. My first 928 had an almost perfect windows button. Seems like it's very hard to find a flawless 928 which makes me wonder if Verizon opted for cheaper manufacturing for this phone.

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was trying SO HARD to avoid needing to post in this thread. After 6 months of ownership and various bugs here and there, my power button has gone completely unresponsive. I am back on a Trophy while I send it into Nokia for repair.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was trying SO HARD to avoid needing to post in this thread. After 6 months of ownership and various bugs here and there, my power button has gone completely unresponsive. I am back on a Trophy while I send it into Nokia for repair.

Does Verizon not do advance exchange with refurbished models?

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Does Verizon not do advance exchange with refurbished models?

They do, but they could only offer that... a refurbished model. I've had horrible experiences with refurbs in the past, and I really did not want to end up with someone else's problems. I don't mind living with the Trophy while Nokia takes a look at my phone! I'd rather have the phone that I purchased new repaired, than getting a used phone that had an issue in the past.

Jack Gerfen

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So I got my white Lumia 928 when it first came out. Last night I started having the issue where no sound will come out of the earpiece, but if you put it on speakerphone it will work or with headphones. Music also works with headphone, but not out of the speaker. I go into the audio settings and it shows I am able to change the Dolby Audio settings even without headphones in. Usually, this part of the settings is grayed out unless headphones are plugged in. I know this is that audio issue that people have, something is bent or touching some metal in the headphone jack that is causing the phone to think there are headphones plugged in. What do most agree with, getting a "like new" refurbished phone from Verizon that will probably die within two months, or send it in to Nokia?

Jack Gerfen

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So I got my white Lumia 928 when it first came out. Last night I started having the issue where no sound will come out of the earpiece, but if you put it on speakerphone it will work or with headphones. Music also works with headphone, but not out of the speaker. I go into the audio settings and it shows I am able to change the Dolby Audio settings even without headphones in. Usually, this part of the settings is grayed out unless headphones are plugged in. I know this is that audio issue that people have, something is bent or touching some metal in the headphone jack that is causing the phone to think there are headphones plugged in. What do most agree with, getting a "like new" refurbished phone from Verizon that will probably die within two months, or send it in to Nokia?

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok my phone probably freezes twice everyday and I have to do that stupid restart thing, and most of my games (which are horrible and you should probably do something about it) freeze or randomly the screen messes up and I have to open the app again
Do you have ANY beta software installed? facebook beta, glance screen beta??

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

If you haven't seen this thread yet, go to it and read. You'll notice this is a known and widespread issue, which some believe it is due to a faulty SYM tray. To answer your question, sending it back via Verizon will result in a faster turn around. There has been no response from Nokia if the issue has been resolved with new stock, so sending it to Nokia may just result in a lengthy wait for a (eventual) damaged phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/233033-cant-hear-callers.html

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
When I talked to Verizon about it, the rep said it was a common issue with the actually earpiece. IDK the update that just came out kept it from happening for a few days and then it came back in full force. I'll probably go through Verizon.

dmill74

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I cant download load apps bigger than 20 mb anymore? And i dont know why i took my sim out and rebooted my phone cause my 4g was acting up and now i cant download apps over 20mb im hesitating on a hard reset but i dont know what to do. Any ideas on whats happened @928 verizon amber

DeeNice76

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ready for the plethora of issues I've encountered with my Nokia Lumia 928 after a few short months? Screen freeze, green screen in camera mode, blank texts in threads (both sending and incoming), clock resets itself, windows button blacked out (I've seen this on more than one model and the Verizon store tried to play it off like it's SUPPOSED to be that way - uh-huh), while in a call and attempting to text or browse, screen disappears and goes back to the in-call screen only; stays in headphone/handset mode even after headset is removed and phone won't ring, alert or play audio. The soft reset doesn't always work for these many issues and I usually have to do it multiple times to get it back to "normal." I've put up with it for long enough. Tomorrow I make the dreaded call to Verizon.

urik770

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got a Lumia 928 for my wife. The main issue is that after the phone was updated to the latest updates, it curiously lacks the double tap to wake feature and the ability to change the color of the glance screen. Can anyone help with this?

Matt Rappaport

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
My 928 is having a MAJOR problem. My 928 was just on the counter I usually leave it on, but when I went to check a text, the entire screen was strongly tinted blue. It was so tinted I could barely see my content. So, I try a few things that someone would usually do if a phone was buggy: connect it to its charger, turn the device off and back on, and/or soft reset it, but nothing worked. The next morning, I wake up to see i anything on my phone had changed, but NOW, the screen was bluer than before and the majority of the screen was pitch black. However, the screen was still responing well to my commands, but the phone was barely usable, since I could only see about 1/6 of my content, which was already tinted blue. Then, I bring my phone out with me, but then, the phone screen is PITCH BLACK, but the screen, while not showing anything, and the buttons STILL respond to my commands and had sound (when I clicked and held the camera button, I could HEAR it take a photo), even though I can see 0% of my content. Finally, I try soft reseting one or two more times, and nothing changed. Please help, because I've only had this phone for a couple of months and plan to upgrade it in september, without having to pay full price. Does anyone know what the issue is or how it can be fixed?

NOTE: When it was on the counter, nothing spilled on it, nothing touched it, and it didnt fall or move at any point.

Last edited:

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I would let you guys know about an update from Verizon. The earpiece issue has supposedly been fixed. They said that all new replacement devices have been taken care of and it should not happen again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99