Pictures / Video taken with your 928

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pictures/Videos taken with your 928!

Hah two things, I wish Nokia fix the crazy white balance and let the user set infinite focus.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

True but there are a lot more ways to compensate for it on a DSLR. On my iphone I was able to tap a spot on the screen and it would use that spot and adjust for the light....the sky wouldn't have been washed out but the trees would of been much darker. I'm not complaining, just comparing. It's different and in my opinion, I think the iphone was a little better in some lighting situations. If this sensor is the low light "king" then it stands to reason that this camera will struggle a little in certain lighting. I do like being able to manually control some of the camera settings. Big plus in my book. I'm happy with the other photo's as well as video.

One last thing, is the location of the camera seems to be susceptible to getting stuff on it. As mentioned above, it will be a good idea to carry a cloth around to clean it often. View attachment 35101

If you want DSLR pictures, you're going to have to carry a DSLR. As for making the whole scene look good, try the HDR Photo app, which will take three shots and combine them - just like I'd have to do with my DSLR for the shot you've attempted.

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

This is a test of the video recording performance of the Nokia Lumia 928 for Verizon Wireless. I was walking (sometimes running) backwards. I think it really shows off the optical image stabilization quite well. The color is good as the jeep is very vibrant but the sky is overcast. Audio is good, can hear the laughing quite well. All in all this phone is definitely a keeper!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=32870DEF1C7D08E5!7875&authkey=!APTAYFXM6jx9IZ4

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site

If you want DSLR pictures, you're going to have to carry a DSLR. As for making the whole scene look good, try the HDR Photo app, which will take three shots and combine them - just like I'd have to do with my DSLR for the shot you've attempted.

Thanks, I'll look into the HDR app although I'm not of fan of HDR. I've got a couple DLSR's and use them for my serious photography. I do a bit of social media sharing (hate to admit that) with family and close friends when I'm out and about so that is what I use the phone cam for. I'm still playing with it and learning how it works...Just used to the iphone thinking for me. ;) I'm definintely keep the 928 tho.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

I recorded a time lapse. Sorry it's not more exciting, but I'm amazed what you can do with a CELL PHONE these days. Just a few years ago, you needed an expensive rig. Lot's of training and expensive software. Now, it's just point and shoot. Literally. ;-)

All settings were set for automatic and the pics were taken once every minute from 8:42am to 9:02pm. The video was compiled at 15fps.

I think the color saturation is pretty good but it is a little dark in the fore area. I might look at playing with a backlight setting or something.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

I recorded a time lapse. Sorry it's not more exciting, but I'm amazed what you can do with a CELL PHONE these days. Just a few years ago, you needed an expensive rig. Lot's of training and expensive software. Now, it's just point and shoot. Literally. ;-)

All settings were set for automatic and the pics were taken once every minute from 8:42am to 9:02pm. The video was compiled at 15fps.

I think the color saturation is pretty good but it is a little dark in the fore area. I might look at playing with a backlight setting or something.

If you could take two, or three photos at each interval with a different exposure you could fill in the shadows via HDR.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Goodsit2, is there an app that will take those multiple shots with diff exposures and then you can setup to run over time?

Also, what is "HDR"? Thanks.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

HDR is High Dynamic Range. It is where you take mulitple photos, at different exposures, so that for instance one photo has the best settings for the brightest part of the picture, one has best settings for the darkest part, and one or more is exposed for best settings at the mid-lit parts of the picture. You combine these images in a photo-editing program such as Photoshop, and you end up with a picture that looks like it is exposed properly for all of the brightness levels of the picture.

HDR Photo Camera does this all in the phone for you, and does a pretty good job. I don't recall if it takes the three shots on its own or if you snap three times, but one of the great things about this app is that you can control how much the shots are under or over exposed compared to the baseline exposure. For $2.99, it was worth it to me.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

It snaps three for you and composites them. Then you can adjust brightness, contrast, and saturation, or select from a group of preset processing filters, some of which are decent. It's a really good app for a specific purpose. - I should note that most of the photos I've taken with that HDR app aren't the most crisp though. For that you really need to have it standing on something solid.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys. Downloading it now. I have a tripod.

(Oh Lordy, this is starting to turn me into a cell phone photog geek...)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

It snaps three for you and composites them. Then you can adjust brightness, contrast, and saturation, or select from a group of preset processing filters, some of which are decent. It's a really good app for a specific purpose. - I should note that most of the photos I've taken with that HDR app aren't the most crisp though. For that you really need to have it standing on something solid.

Ok, I d/l it to try it and I can see what you mean about holding it still. This may be more than what I want to get into. It seems to take a while to take the 3 pics as well. Not really suitable for moving subjects.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Under the Skydrive Storage | Photos + Videos settings, what are the benefits of switching from the defaults of "Good quality" to "Best qualty" other than the obvious having the best quality on Skydrive...

For photos, I like the idea that no matter what, as long as my phone sa cell connectvity, it can upload pics. I see this as a disaster recovery type of option. If something happens to the phone, at least I know the pics are stored online. Video, I don't care SO much since I don't take so many videos.

If I flip it to Best quality for the photos, that seems to say that it won't upload the photos until it gets within WiFi range. Correct? There may be times when I'm not connected to WFi for a while. I would hate to lose any pics if for whatever reason I wasn't able to sync with SkyDrive. On the flip side. having the best quality pics on SkyDrive would be nice as well. Is there THAT much of a difference between "Good quality" and "Best quality"? Thanks all.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Under the Skydrive Storage | Photos + Videos settings, what are the benefits of switching from the defaults of "Good quality" to "Best qualty" other than the obvious having the best quality on Skydrive...

For photos, I like the idea that no matter what, as long as my phone sa cell connectvity, it can upload pics. I see this as a disaster recovery type of option. If something happens to the phone, at least I know the pics are stored online. Video, I don't care SO much since I don't take so many videos.

If I flip it to Best quality for the photos, that seems to say that it won't upload the photos until it gets within WiFi range. Correct? There may be times when I'm not connected to WFi for a while. I would hate to lose any pics if for whatever reason I wasn't able to sync with SkyDrive. On the flip side. having the best quality pics on SkyDrive would be nice as well. Is there THAT much of a difference between "Good quality" and "Best quality"? Thanks all.

I believe the Best quality uploads the full resolution image and the good quality uploads a lower resolution image.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I d/l it to try it and I can see what you mean about holding it still. This may be more than what I want to get into. It seems to take a while to take the 3 pics as well. Not really suitable for moving subjects.

It's too bad they don't just run a simple photo registration algorithm. It could still process photos quickly and not depend as much on the stillness of the subject. FYI, some HDR is done from a single shot in which they alter the brightness and contrast of the single photo (splitting it into many photos) and combine the best qualities of all. :)

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

I have several vids/pics from a 5k glow in the dark race. I will get them up eventually :)
[video=youtube;BIeKtlkF4RM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BIeKtlkF4RM[/video]

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb