The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Over the next couple of weeks, I plan on purchasing either a Nokia 928 or a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon. I really would like my next phone to be the 928, as it hits all the right spots for me. However, all of the video I have seen shot with the 928 (and 920) has a severe "jello" effect whenever the camera is moving. For me personally, it's noticeable to the point where it's distracting. If the camera isn't moving, the video is fine, but as soon as it starts to move, I see the jello effect, which becomes more severe the greater the movement. In reality, I have yet to see any 92x video with the camera moving, where this isn't a very visible issue.

Does anyone have any video shot under these conditions where this isn't the case? I'm trying to find any video that doesn't have it, but have yet to find it. Is this just the result of the optical stabilizer? Or is there a setting that will reduce this effect? I want the 928, but this is a rather significant issue. Or am I simply expecting too much from a camera on a mobile phone?

The S4 video I have seen doesn't have this jello effect, but it also isn't stabilized, making for some pretty shaky S4 video. So the S4 definitely has its own issues as well. Still image quality seems equivalent between the two.

Thoughts from 920/928 users who shoot a lot of video?
    Last edited by GolferChris68; 05-11-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    05-11-2013 09:48 PM
    A great example of what I'm talking about can be seen here in this Nokia video shot with the 928. The image quality itself (contrast, saturation, sharpness) is excellent, but the "jello" effect as the camera moves is really pronounced and hard to ignore.

05-11-2013 09:52 PM
    If that video isn't good enough then I dont believe that you will ever be satisfied with any mobile phone video. Its breathtaking!
    05-11-2013 10:05 PM
    If that video isn't good enough then I dont believe that you will ever be satisfied with any mobile phone video. Its breathtaking!
    There are some parts of that video that are amazing, and that don't show the effect - for example, the waterfall shot - incredible for a smartphone. However, there are other scenes, like the start of the video on the road, where it's pretty obvious.

But maybe you are right, and I'm being overly critical. I guess I need to remind myself that this is a smartphone video, not a dedicated video unit. So perhaps, it's an issue of me having unrealistic expectations.
    05-11-2013 10:08 PM
    I think some of it is because it was on that gyrocopter.
    Tjarren likes this.
    05-11-2013 10:16 PM
    I don't like the jello effect either but the s4 shake is much more jarring in my opinion.
    05-11-2013 10:23 PM
    I don't like the jello effect either but the s4 shake is much more jarring in my opinion.
    Yeah, I would agree. If you're not moving the 928 too much, the video looks great - the optical stabilization does an excellent job. Can't say the same for the S4.
    05-11-2013 10:34 PM
    The Jello effect is present in 920 too, but it only happens in extreme cases (continuous shaking)
    However you have to bear in mind the fact that by this video Nokia is basically saying that even in extreme conditions you can get a pretty decent video .. I think that they think you don't use a gyrocopter everyday for shooting and for daily shots I can vouch that 920 is way better than S3 (my friends are blown away by its night shots and I don't have access to S4 right now)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-11-2013 10:41 PM
    I personally think the video looks great and the photos look questionably soft. Really though, until you get the thing in your hands and get to mess with the settings in an environment you can control, you won't know. I'm a visual design professional myself and definitely see what you mean about the jello effect, but I'm sure there's ways to control it. How many people get good shots from a Steadicam their first time?
    05-11-2013 11:59 PM
    What is the "jello" effect ?
    05-12-2013 12:02 AM
    The 920/928 have the wavy effect when you pan during a video, the s4 becomes choppy. I notice it but I would wrather have a wavy video at times instead of a choppy or shaky video. In the end these are smart phones, so we can't expect SLR quality optics yet.
    Last edited by Beast of Haeven; 05-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    GolferChris68 likes this.
    05-12-2013 01:53 AM
    i guess is the lens bending you mean?
    05-12-2013 03:10 AM
    Perhaps it's because I did a media degree, but I did see the jello effect there. When I was looking out for it I thought "Bloody hell!" but before I never noticed it. Still love the 920 camera though. But yeah, I think it is a case of expectations set too high.
    05-12-2013 06:53 AM
    @golferchris68: While i see what you are referring to, it is the OIS that is causing this.
    You have to ask yourself, would you rather see choppy/jarring video or this?
    Also, i dont know about any others in here, but apart from when i am playing with the features of the phone etc. i probably wont be TRYING to shake the phone too much...I will be trying to keep the video shot as still as possible anyway...in which case the OIS will have less to do and you will see less of this effect.
    Something to go look at perhaps is the HTC One as it also uses OIS (not as sophisticated) - its OIS works at a different rate, so may not produce the same effect....
    I agree with @antsin3d though... while i love the videos shot (especially those by Nokia), the photos are looking a little soft or not as detailed as they could be. Understand though, this could well be because of pre-production firmware and / or the camera still needs to be tweaked yet.
    Elsewhere i have seen the fans blades frozen, which bodes well for the overall camera performance with the Xenon flash (remember the S4 doesnt have this type of flash), but the colors / timing of the flash need to be worked on.
    Nothing that Nokia havnt proven themselves very capable of in the past...case in point the Lumia 920.
    GolferChris68 likes this.
    05-12-2013 07:13 AM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Much appreciated. I do need to remember that this is a smartphone camera, not a standalone camera.

For most of the video I would be shooting, I will be keeping the camera still with my hands, or using a tripod. So hopefully, the jello effect won't be much of an issue for me. As I mentioned earlier, some of the scenes in that video, like the waterfall, are really good for a smartphone.

Really looking forward to getting one of these in my hands on the 16th!
    05-12-2013 08:21 AM
    anyone that doesn't like rolling shutter, or other issues with low end cameras (all phones have low end cameras), make a steadicam rig and be amazed.

a few pieces of plastic, a weight, and a universal joint = very nice video.

a mono pod can do wonders also, if a balance point is attched, for moving camera shots.

the image stabilization is a nice gimmick, but a steady platform is unbeatable.
    05-12-2013 08:29 AM
    is not the OIS causing it. It has to do with the focus lens setting on that particular lens. As shown in the explore view of the OIS, its moving in xz plane only.
    Its due to the wide angle lens that Nokia insist to use since the N8. While it give you the opportunity to take real 16:9 pictures this is what you get when you are not careful with the geometry when taking pictures. Obviously you can do nothing filming on a RC plane.
    05-12-2013 10:15 AM
    Yeah, I agree about the software/firmware on the photo side. I also always like to get my hands on the manual controls, cause auto modes often end up jacking up the ISO or giving the wrong shutter speed for a shot, making it soft. We'll see!
    05-12-2013 10:49 AM
    There is an S4 video on the same helicopter, in a town. Its worse. 928>S4 any day :)
    05-12-2013 11:20 AM
    I'm not familiar with the "Jello effect."

I kept looking for Bill Cosby to popup in the video, but it never happened.
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 05-12-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    rmichael75 and hopmedic like this.
    05-12-2013 11:29 AM
    I tried the S4 for a few days and I was not impressed at all with the camera. Don't get me wrong its a nice device but it didn't live up to all the hype that surrounds the S4. I will look closely at the 928 camera on Thursday before I purchase one.
    05-12-2013 02:35 PM
    Most helicopters are not a smooth ride let alone that thing they had it strapped too.
    05-12-2013 11:52 PM
    There is an S4 video on the same helicopter, in a town. Its worse. 928>S4 any day :)
    I had to literally stop the S4 copter video as I was getting quesssy.. I don't know how you guys are able to view it.
    05-12-2013 11:58 PM
    I don't get this jello effect you're talking about. Moreover, you term it "severe". Which engages the heck out of my spidey senses. At any rate The video I watched in this thread was amazing and I'm not one that is easy to impress. This video impressed me. Having said that, maybe the phone you want is something phones in general cannot yet produce, I don't know. And that's ok as far as I'm concerned. What phone do you know that can take video as good as this camera does without the jello?
    05-13-2013 09:25 AM
    I have a video shot with my l920 from my dash mount that shows the jello effect. I didn't know what to call it until today. It was taken on my commute to work and at times the road gets bumpy and the vehicle in front of me (minivan) seems to stretch and elongate, then snap back to its correct size. The picture is very smooth, though. :)
    05-13-2013 01:56 PM