Nokia Lumia 928 : User Reviews

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have used many different cell phones including Android phones and iOS devices but I have to say that my favorite by far is the Windows Phone platform. I love the extensive customizations I have on this platform and the ability to have all of my most used items (Office, SkyDrive, Hotmail inbox/calendar, Xbox) on one device is very helpful. I know that this isn't a full review of this handset, but I have to say that the quality so far is excellent.

The only complaint I have is that I wish it had the option to have a screen flap on it, similar to the Galaxy S4's accessory.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310056_10151432596558176_590458282_n.jpg

kind of off topic but on the computer in the background how do u get your life tiles to go down like that I can only do 4 apps/tiles down and that's it they all go across and wont stretch down similar to how the phones do

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
kind of off topic but on the computer in the background how do u get your life tiles to go down like that I can only do 4 apps/tiles down and that's it they all go across and wont stretch down similar to how the phones do
You have to click and drag the tile in-between two tiles and hold it there, a vertical grey line show show up and you release it there, it creates a new group. You can also name those groups by right-clicking on them.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Are you talking about the number of rows? I think it might have to do with the size of the screen. On my laptop screen, there are only five rows, but on my 24 inch monitor, it extends to six rows. Both monitors are the same resolution (1920x1080)

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
One minor complaint that I have about the Nokia Lumia 928 is the inability to download podcasts over WiFi. Connecting it to my computer at home takes too much time. For this reason alone I still use my BlackBerry Torch 9850 so that I can download the "ESPN First Take" podcasts at the local Starbucks or the Apple Store. Does anybody know of a workaround, if possible?

a104u2nv

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I download podcasts all the time over wifi through the music + videos xbox app. I hit the app goto collection then store, podcasts, and find the ones I want and subscribe. Make sure you go into settins and double check that the only download new podcasts episodes over wi-fi is checked. I may be totally off base here as I am only a month on the wp8 platform/nokia 928.

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
When I have it plugged in to a regular charger in a WiFi area the podcasts don't update. Must be something in my settings, otherwise SMDH.

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the "Podcast Lounge" app ($1.99) so the podcast issue is now a thing of the past. I really like that Verizon offered a $25 gift card to the app store with the purchase of the 928.

Now I can use my BB Storm as a rock in my sock drawer!

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
You really can come home again! I picked up my new white Nokia 928 yesterday and I have been having a great time ever since. I have owned all kinds of phones, was a Palm Pre early adopter, a WP 7 early adopter, owned Sammy Note 2 and Galaxy 3, Sony Xperia, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, Lumia 822, Motorola Maxx HD, and still own an HTC One. I have probably forgotten a few too. Bottom line? LOVIN my Lumia 928.

I mentioned that I still own the HTC One and it is an outstanding android phone. Great hardware and software, the speakers are incredible. However nothing beats the smooth never stuttering beauty that is WP8. It just does everything I want and need in such a lovely and intuitive way.

The screen is SHARP, blacks are deep and intense, colors are vivid and pop. The phone is snappy and fluid and responsive. The call quality is solid. The construction. Is also solid with little to no torsion and flex. The camera is very good although photos in everyday light tend to be a little overexposed compared to the HTC One, images are bold and not oversaturated.

The apps are much better and the Nokia Value added apps are great. The phone feels good in hand, the keyboard is better than anything on Android and overall the device is fun to use. My wife has a Nokia 822 and its become a natural extension of her hand because of the unparalleled social integration with contacts, Facebook and Twitter.

Simply put WP8 is an excellent mobile OS paired with solid hardware that makes owning a smartphone personal, fluid and fun.

Its GREAT to be back.

i8paste

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Second windows phone, first one was the HTC Trophy. Have always been an iOS guy and have always enjoyed the reliability of the OS. NOW I have been eyeballing the 928 for a little while and figured it looked like a huge improvement so why not.

First impressions: phone is sleek, feels like a solid build, and its kep very clean and simple.

OS impressions: huge leap from WP7 BUT there is always room for improvement. Notifications would be a huge plus, yes I know they should be here for WP9 OR 8.1.

I really enjoy the phone, I like having something that's simple, functional, and clean. Also something that not every one has.

They could have been more focused on the power button reminds me of the HTC quality with it being soft and cheap feeling. The screen is beautiful, the weight is spot on. One thing I did find interesting wad I had got a black on first and then swapped it for a white one after having hardware issues and a VERY soft power button. The white one seems to have a more "clicky" feeling button (maybe its the coating for color on top) but overall in very happy with the phone. 8.5/10. Just wish the apps from IOS and google would come over alot quicker.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I got a 928 a few days ago. I had the 822 for a while and the 8X for about four months. My 928 is solid, no issues really. To be honest, I may switch back to the 8X.

The 928 is big, and things are a little harder to reach, especially the back button when holding it with my right hand. The screen is beautiful but bright. Even at the lowest settings. And I know some people like the vibrant colors, but to me, they are a little too vibrant. Outside, it is awesome, unlike the 8X. When I drop it in my pocket, it is very noticeably larger and heavier than the 8X. Battery life seems pretty similar between the 928 and the 8X. I love the power button on the side, vs the top. I have the black 928 and it is pretty slippery in the hand. The 32gb is nice but really, I don't use that much because I stream most of my music. I know the camera and video on the 928 is awesome, but I don't really take a lot of photos or videos. The Nokia apps are nice, but I really don't use a lot of them and certainly, the Nokia support is better than HTC.

So, while the 928 is an awesome phone, I may end up back on the 8X, mainly because of the size/weight differences.

Last edited:

yancyv8

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I picked this guy up about 3 weeks ago and it's amazing! I was an android ****** when the G1 came out since I got it at an early release and stuck with android for a while. Then I moved to iOS because I used Macs and such for my recording studio and I liked the icloud integration. But I'm glad I ditched my iphone 5 for this 928!

Let me first say, I really do love this phone before I tell you guys my issue.

I bought one and it had serious battery problems. It would get too hot to touch and the battery would drain from full in less than 4 hours and if it was at 50%, it would die in 15 in some cases. I really though it was me until I did some research. So I just took it back to verizon and they gave me a new one. AGAIN I thought I was having the same problem.....not as bad but the same battery issues until I called Nokia. The guy told me to do a soft reset which worked. But he said to send it in and wait a week to get one back but I didn't want to do that so I just kept it. From then on, its been working flawlessly. I really wanted to like the phone thats why I kept at trying to get it fixed.

I'm curious if anyone else had a battery or heat issue like I did?

Anyways, the phone feels solid, the camera is insane and my girlfriend and her friends all want my phone, and I love the interface. There's a lot I feel is missing, small things, that android and iOS have but I'm not to worried because they are small things that have to do with WP8, not the phone.

Call quality is better than my iphone 5. I'm on the phone a lot for my business and it really helps to understand people because most of them are elderly and can't speak clear to begin with.

The phone is great and I'm definitely gona stick with WP8.

Only thing I'm worries about is if they come out with a better and upgraded WP8 phone before next year....

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Here is a rather long winded review?.

I?ve had my 928 for about a month and came from an iphone 4. The only other smart phone I?ve had was a Sprint/Nextel Blackberry Curve that was work provided a couple years ago. I?m neither a power user nor a gamer. I use my phone as a tool and I?m not as much as an ?enthusiast? as most people on this forum. I do like having information via the internet on the go and I while it?s my personal phone, I do use it to keep up with my job. I?ve never had an android phone and my only experience with them is through friends and my girlfriend. My girlfriends android phone is the biggest piece of junk I?ve ever seen and while I had thoughts of going to a GS3?her issues steered me to WP8. And? I?m not a google fan. The only reason I didn?t do another iOS device was cost and I didn?t think the IP5 was a big enough leap to justify the expense. I paid $60 for a 928, 32g LTE device vs $660 for an IP5 (32g) with a smaller screen. For that price difference I was willing to take a chance. Below are a few of my thoughts?

Apps ?

I have found most of the apps I use are available in WP8 so I don?t feel a ?lack of? apps is an issue. What I have found is that the apps don?t have the same functionality and that is another disappointment. It feels I went backwards in time. Facebook would be a prime example of this as the WP8 app is frankly garbage (I?m using the Beta version) compared to iOS. Nokia Here maps are marginal at best and are not as intuitive as I hoped. I wish I would have tested out how the Navigation worked before going on a trip. Lesson learned and why I?ll continue to use a garmin GPS.

Music -

Coming from iPhone/itunes I was pleasantly surprised that getting the WP8 to talk to itunes with the desk top app was flawless. The down side is the stock music player apps suck. I need to look for a better player if there is one. For example, you can pause a song in playlist on an iphone and come back to it later and pick up where you left off. You can?t do that on WP8 as it seems like after a few hours the song and playlist is gone and you have to start over. Not real convenient if you?re on a long road trip or traveling.
Bluetooth connection to my kenwood head unit was easy and works ok although the few times I?ve done it, I have to restart the phone about half the time to get it to connect. The music sounds better through BT than using the headphone jack. I was surprised to find out when connected to BT, the phone will read text messages and allow you to respond all via voice command. I would say voice commands and speech to text is about 75% reliable. Not bad and pretty handy.

Camera ?

The camera is pretty good and I would say it?s probably the best phone camera out there. One issue I have found is that it appears that even with the flash turned ?on? it will not flash unless the phone thinks it needs it. This happened in both the stock camera app and proshot. The location of the lens does make is susceptible to getting smudges on the lens which will affect photo quality. On a recent trip, I took over 200 photos with it and most are decent although the sky can get pretty noisy. For sunset photos, you can turn up the saturation and get some great shots which we joked about a lot as the photo came out far better looking than real life. The camera is probably the best feature about the 928 in my opinion. I did use the Panorama app but only got one decent pano shoot. The camera seemed to get confused sometimes when taking the multiple shots.

Battery life ?

The battery seems to be on par with LTE phones. I get a full day out of it, sometimes, I can get 1.5 days. I usually unplug at 0530 and plug back in at 1000 with about 20 to 25 left according to the meter. With the mini usb plug it?s cheap and easy to have cords and chargers around for recharging. I haven?t splurged for wireless charging and will likely pass on it.

Calls ?

The call quality is great and as good or better than any other phones I?ve had. I still use a phone to talk on so this was a big deal to me and have been very happy with this aspect of the device.

Overall ?

I feel the phone is of high quality. While it?s mostly plastic, it feels solid. Mine has the funky/gunky home key back light issue but that doesn?t bother me. The screen is bright and crisp. I put a screen protector on it and even with the sensitivity turned up I sometimes have to tap something twice to get it to work. I may take the protector off to see if that helps. It?s taken me a little to get used to the larger screen or maybe it?s just the sheer size of the phone but I do like the extra real estate. It?s good for eyes that are getting older.

It took a little bit to warm up to the tiles and the vertical nature of the screens also. Once I got a ?header? app, I started to feel better about how things were organized. I do like the ability to customize the screens more than iOS.

It would be nice to have a better selection of cases for protection as even after one month, the selection is terrible. It?s another reminder of how WP8 is a step backwards and that the 928 isn?t really that much of a ?flagship? device.

The WP8 OS appears to be smooth and fast. I don?t think the OS is as stable as iOS however, and that is a disappointment. I?ve already had to restart the 928 more times in a month then I had to restart my iphone 4 in 28 months.

I?d have to give the 928 a 7/10 rating based on my experience. It?s not perfect but none of them are. It?s not a reliable as I hoped and the functionality is lacking in apps that I use. These two thing alone is what I?m really disappointed in the most. I very much want to like and use this OS. I had hopes of also going to a surface pro so everything to integrate easily. Now, I?m not so sure what I?ll do. I did renew my contract so I will stick with it in hopes the upcoming update and time will resolve some of the issues.

sign0134.gif

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I posted above about my new 928 compared to my 8X. This evening, I listened to music on my 928 and then listened again to my 8X. Man, I'll tell you, the Beats Audio really sounds good. For sure, better than the 928 and louder. I was playing the same album on the 8X at 15 and it was louder than the 928 at 24.

I don't want to talk bad about the 928 because it is a very nice phone and the camera is the best. But it seems that people dismiss the 8X as a lesser phone because Nokia is "all in" with Windows Phone. For me though, I prefer the 8X and will switch back to it tomorrow.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
A little bit unrelated, but I was talking with a friend, and we talked a bit about phones. She commented that she really liked the Windows Phone OS, and thought my 928 was, in her own words, "really gorgeous." I asked if she would ever consider switching to WP, but she said not a chance, because no one uses it. I asked if it was the smaller app store, but she didn't say so, just that no one uses it. I'm sure there's an underlying reason behind the fact that "no one uses it," but I didn't want to sound pushy. Just thought it was interesting, though i'm still a bit curious as to why.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
'no one uses it'. It is literally about mindshare. When people like almost every aspect of a platform including OS, and hardware but don't want to adopt it because 'no one else uses it' you have a very large group of people locked in and ingrained with platforms that aren't necessarily better, but just have been around longer that's a very difficult metric to attack.

Its going to take time (still), and aggressive marketing and pricing to gain market share. Microsoft is a little late to the game in comparison. But they have a GREAT platform to work with. It will sell itself as long as MS doesn't screw it up.

devspeed

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
That is why it is important to do product placement and endorsements. When the populace see well known people in the media using a windows phone it adds credibility to the platform.

yancyv8

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Anybody have issues with battery life?

Not so much issues, but the battery isn't as good as you hoped? I DL'ed the app "battery" and lets say i go on facebook for a min, answer a txt, then check my email and then go back to the home screen, the phone gets a little hot. Then turn the screen off and come back in like 10 min and the app is reminding me that the battery drained by 10% in the last 20 min. I'm coming from an iPhone 5 and the phone wouldn't get hot after using those three apps, nor would it drain the battery that much either.

I know in WP8, you don't have to close the apps but it's a habit and to ME, I feel like it conserves battery better and cools the phone down faster if I manually hit back on all my open apps, even though....in theory, I don't have to close them.

Another example would be: I'm playing Jetpack Joyride for maybe 10-20 min and I get the battery notification saying I lost 11% in the last 20 min. I know playing a game is a little bit more needy on the phone but is that normal? I feel that the iPhone 5 never got hot like this phone nor did it drain battery that quickly while in the middle of 3 or 4 apps or a game.

ONE more thing I'm noticing. I do a lot of driving for my work and using the Maps app gets the phone REAL hot and the battery drains quickly using ONLY maps too.

Maybe it's just me? Maybe I'm spoiled from using an iPhone? Anyone wana elaborate and maybe gimme an explanation? Or maybe I'm just overreacting. XD

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my black 928 for a little while after having been with Android since the Original Droid. Here are some thoughts.

Apps- This was one of the biggest reasons the VZ reps were trying to talk me out of this phone. I was told the app selection was very poor, even worse than BlackBerry. After having shopped around, I have yet to not find an app that I want or need. Plenty of games for me and anything else I would want. When the app selection gets bigger I'm sure I'll enjoy that, but I definitely have no issues with apps right now.

Camera- Love the camera and photo editors that are on the phone. Takes solid pictures and any adjustments that are needed are easy to make. I do find that some pictures taken outside in daylight sometimes look soft or oversaturated, but overall I am really digging the camera. Took some pics of the kids in the pool, couldn't have come out any better on phone.

WP8- Much different coming from Android, but I must say I'm loving it. As much as I loved Android,I would be lying if I said that it wasn't buggy. Whether things were force closing or what, I was always changing Roms, looking for that One. Never did find it. With the live tiles and the way things are setup, I don't feel that urge to changing things up. I don't have issues with thing closing. The keyboard is smooth as hell. The browser is smooth. As I'm typing this the screen is automatically moving to adjust to where I'm typing is is cool. I thought I would miss the notification light, but I really don't. Now that I think about, it would annoy the hell out of me to see that thing constantly blinking because I didn't feel like looking at it. I know

I looked at the Nokia 928 as a chance to get away from the hacking, rooting and all that and just enjoy the way the phone was made. I have with this phone. I'm sure as I continue with this I will probably find something missing or that irritating but for now I wouldn't not trade this phone for another out right now. Maybe for an upgraded version of this, but not for a Droid, an iPhone or a Blackberry. This is a keeper.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99