09-18-2013 06:07 PM
85 1234
tools
    @Wacft if it was confirmed I didn't see it, would love to know where.
    05-13-2013 08:42 AM
    @EDMmmmmmm: which colors have you been playing with/ using?
    05-13-2013 08:44 AM
    You cant talk about software versions, I know but, can you confirm it has a FM radio on it ? This was something that Microsoft has claimed "it's coming in the next update" and that is was software, not hardware needed to enable this feature on ALL WP8 devices.
    05-13-2013 08:52 AM
    Is the black a Matte finish?
    Have you had any reboot issues?
    Is the screen a good as the 920 in daylight?
    The white is high gloss, does it feel slippery at all?
    Yes, No, Yes, this is subjective...I don't think it is slippery but it is gloss so it won't be like a soft-touch paint that is rubbery.

Any issues with the phone heating up?
    No

Is it worth the price. I've found the Windows Phone system doesn't have a lot of the features I use daily on my Galaxy Nexus. The camera looks awesome little hesitant to buy a Windows Phone especially at full release prices for last years model which this seems to basically be a 920 released last year with a new case.
    What are the features you use on the Nexus that are not available?

Is it possible to tell if the phone is SIM unlocked, and what bands are listed on the box?
    No bands listed on the box, but Nokia site says: CDMA bands 2, 5; GSM 1800, 850, 900, 1900MHz; WCDMA 900, 1700-2100, 2100, 1900, 850MHz (and Verizon LTE)
    I'm not sure about SIM, I assume Verizon would do the same thing as the 822 but I am not sure.

how is the front camera compared to the 8x? its to my understanding the 8x took better pics and had better video quality with the front cam on the 8x vs the 920
    Same front camera as the 920
    05-13-2013 09:16 AM
    As for the phone being carrier unlocked, part of the agreement that Verizon agreed to when they purchased Band C of the 700 MHz band for LTE was that the phones using that band cannot be locked to the carrier, or that they can be unlocked from the carrier. If you look at the terms of the Verizon user agreement, it tells you the code to unlock it if it is not a device that uses a SIM:
    My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless
    squire777 likes this.
    05-13-2013 09:23 AM
    What are the features you use on the Nexus that are not available?
    I used the convert app and it said 89% of my apps are available but wouldn't tell me which ones are not. I would like to have chrome on there for the sync between desktop and phone like I currently have but that's not huge. Ustream and Twitch streaming video are not there. I have recently seen that they have a Youtube app which is okay now. I don't know about Netflix. I haven't been able to find authentication apps. I use Google Authentication to authenticate to several different accounts. TeamSpeak and Ventrilo I use a lot on the phone. I need to have Gchat period. That is a deal breaker but correct me if I'm wrong IM+ is an app that can do that? Finally a Swipe style keyboard with voice recognition. When I was trying it in the store voice recognition would only work in the email app. The Microsoft rep said windows phone doesn't allow 3rd party keyboards.
    05-13-2013 11:59 AM
    You're not going to see swype. Period. The rest of what you're asking is possible, but depends on development by those other companies. IM+ I can't speak to, as I don't use it. Oh - Netflix is there, and is good (it was good the last time I used it, which was before the big broo-ha-ha when they raised the price and I fired them). Other than that, I'd go to www.windowsphone.com and search for the apps you want, to see what's available.
    05-13-2013 12:54 PM
    You're not going to see swype. Period. The rest of what you're asking is possible, but depends on development by those other companies. IM+ I can't speak to, as I don't use it. Oh - Netflix is there, and is good (it was good the last time I used it, which was before the big broo-ha-ha when they raised the price and I fired them). Other than that, I'd go to www.windowsphone.com and search for the apps you want, to see what's available.
    Curious about why no Swype... even Nokia Belle (formerly Symbian) has it...
    Dont Nokia/Samsung own 50% each or something? (or did...)
    05-13-2013 12:57 PM
    It's just one of the decisions Microsoft made, to not allow the keyboard to be accessed/substituted by API for third party developers, which I assume is most likely part of their security strategy. It's been asked for since day one, but it's not going to come. I think if you take a bit of time to get to know the keyboard, though, you'll be impressed. It's better than ANY of the stock keyboards. (I've never used Swype).
    jmajid likes this.
    05-13-2013 12:59 PM
    I've used swipe and Swiftkey and I really like the MS keyboard. Very accurate. Get's easier the more you use it.
    phirefly, jmajid and Rickste like this.
    05-13-2013 01:05 PM
    long time lurker who couldn't pass up the chance to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the GPU still Adreno 225 or upgraded to 320?
    2) Is the screen pentile or RGB (I imagine a lot of people interested in this one)?

Thanks EDM!
    Not sure if you missed my questions earlier (or maybe you saw it and can't answer them at this time) but I'd figure I'd give them a bump in case you simply missed them.
    05-13-2013 01:53 PM
    I haven't seen answers to those questions yet.
    05-13-2013 02:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies. As long as the CardDAV and CalDAV is still coming then that should be good. Was there an app for Gtalk? I can do without the Swipe.

Also I heard there there was some issue with whenever the phone would go to sleep it would loose Wi-Fi till you woke it up again? How is battery drain with Skype running?
    05-13-2013 02:55 PM
    Portico solves the WiFi problem, and sorry, I don't use Skype.
    05-13-2013 02:57 PM
    You mentioned something about the back being scratch proof -- just wanted to confirm this was true and that you weren't just referring to the camera lens components??? Thanks!
    05-13-2013 03:38 PM
    FM radio ?
    05-13-2013 04:18 PM
    @EDMmmmmmm: which colors have you been playing with/ using?
    We have played around with a few colors but I have been using white almost exclusively.

You cant talk about software versions, I know but, can you confirm it has a FM radio on it ? This was something that Microsoft has claimed "it's coming in the next update" and that is was software, not hardware needed to enable this feature on ALL WP8 devices.
    Microsoft's next software release and its features is something I am not involved with. I imagine when it comes for the 920 it will also come for the 928.

Not sure if you missed my questions earlier (or maybe you saw it and can't answer them at this time) but I'd figure I'd give them a bump in case you simply missed them.
    For the first question, I dont know. For the second question, I believe it is pentile. I have compared to the 900s display and with the increased resolution the screen looks much better. With the pixel density this high is this a big deal?
    05-13-2013 04:22 PM
    You mentioned something about the back being scratch proof -- just wanted to confirm this was true and that you weren't just referring to the camera lens components??? Thanks!
    I was referring to the black strip in the center being very scratch resistant ceramic, sorry if I said something different.
    05-13-2013 04:25 PM
    Thanks for the replies. As long as the CardDAV and CalDAV is still coming then that should be good. Was there an app for Gtalk? I can do without the Swipe.

Also I heard there there was some issue with whenever the phone would go to sleep it would loose Wi-Fi till you woke it up again? How is battery drain with Skype running?
    I haven't noticed any change in battery life since I've installed Skype and I get notifications/calls just fine. Big difference from Android IMO is the OS is very efficient about managing tasks so I don't have to. Dunno about GChat. Sorry
    05-13-2013 05:16 PM
    Verizon's 822(my current phone) has a irritatingly long delay between pressing the camera button and actually taking the first picture. Does the 928 also do this?
    05-13-2013 07:42 PM
    I thought there was Swype for WP 7 ? I am a die hard Swype fan and can't imagine having to actually type a text.

It's just one of the decisions Microsoft made, to not allow the keyboard to be accessed/substituted by API for third party developers, which I assume is most likely part of their security strategy. It's been asked for since day one, but it's not going to come. I think if you take a bit of time to get to know the keyboard, though, you'll be impressed. It's better than ANY of the stock keyboards. (I've never used Swype).
    05-13-2013 07:51 PM
    I thought there was Swype for WP 7 ? I am a die hard Swype fan and can't imagine having to actually type a text.
    Nope. If the keyboard is that important to you, you're going to have to stick with VirusPhone.
    05-13-2013 08:37 PM
    Nope. If the keyboard is that important to you, you're going to have to stick with VirusPhone.
    no need to be antagonistic
    Rick2340 likes this.
    05-13-2013 08:49 PM
    Oh come on. This is the type of fanboyism I am trying to escape by leaving Android for this device.
    05-13-2013 09:01 PM
    I call it like I see it. 96% of mobile malware in the last quarter of 2012 was on Android devices.
    05-13-2013 09:07 PM
85 1234