Ask me about the Lumia 928

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Only reason WP doesn't have them really yet is because it's not big enough to be worth a hackers time.
If you had an understanding of the security model of Windows Phone, you would understand why this is a false statement.

Am...no! The only reason WP doesn't have viruses, and may never have a large percentage of viruses occupying the store, is because all apps have to pass through Microsoft's QA first, and be tested, before they can be published to the store. I think you're confusing Windows, with Windows Phone. Windows has a woe of viruses because it is the most popular professional OS. Android isn't riddled with viruses because it's the most popular. It's riddled with viruses because anyone can publish anything to the store without worry, because Google has no approval process for their store. And I'm sure it's one of the reasons their app numbers climbed so fast.
There's that, but there's also the security model that WP employs. With apps sandboxed, one app cannot grab another app's data without that data being explicitly published for access by the app that owns the data. Additionally, you can't do much of anything in the OS itself without explicit permission of the user. For instance, you can't write an app that sends endless premium text messages, because each time an app tries to send a text message, the user gets a messagebox asking whether to allow the app to send a message. Same with phone calls.....

Can you hear the speaker clearly if it's sat on a table?
I read somewhere else that it was on the rounded part of the phone and sounded very good on a table. If you think about it, setting it on the table could actually improve the sound by using the table to redirect or spread that sound.

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Is the display RGB or Pentie? (if its pentile you should be able to tell by switching the theme between green and red and looking at the edges of the live tiles, there will be a checkerboard effect on the edges in red that isn't there in green due to pentile having 1/2 red and blue resolution)

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
if the issue of dust collection on the front facing camera is resolved, can i exchange my phone if i am still in warranty ? is this issue resolved in newer 920?
thanks in advance.

I don't have the refresh rate information for you, but I can confirm it is an AMOLED not LCD display.

I believe there was a fix to the 920 to solve this issue a while back. I will say that this was on our radar during development of the 928.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you hear the speaker clearly if it's sat on a table?
The speaker is designed so that when placed flat on a table it enhances the bass. In theory it should sound even better when sat on a table.
Odin is right on with this. The sound comes out on the curved surface and is not blocked by the table. The speaker is one of the features I have grown to love about this phone. With previous phones I always looked for an aux cable if I wanted to play music, now I can just crank the volume :)

What do you think is it's retail value?
I do not know but some people are reporting ~$500

This. They added an extra lens to increase sharpness and clarity in the 925, but not the 928? What could possibly be the reason for that?
Schedule would be my guess, not worth the delay. Sorry I don't have special insight on this so I am speculating.

Is the display RGB or Pentie? (if its pentile you should be able to tell by switching the theme between green and red and looking at the edges of the live tiles, there will be a checkerboard effect on the edges in red that isn't there in green due to pentile having 1/2 red and blue resolution)
I am pretty sure it is pentile but when performing your test above I don't see a checkerboard pattern, I think this is much more evident in the 800x480 resolution OLED windows phones. You should get a 928 in your hands and take a look, the display is really nice. Also want to add that if you have not gotten a chance to try a Nokia display with ClearBlack out in the sun you need to do that as well; I was blown away when I switched from my iPhone and could actually use the phone outdoors (not to mention Windows Phone 8's Sunlight Readability Enhancement option you can turn on!)

if the issue of dust collection on the front facing camera is resolved, can i exchange my phone if i am still in warranty ? is this issue resolved in newer 920?
thanks in advance.
This is a question for the 920 forum but I am pretty sure the answer is yes. If you have dust under your FFC and are under warranty I imagine you should be able to get your phone repaired/replaced under warranty through your carrier or Nokia Care. The newer 920 do indeed have a fix for the dust issue.

7 KDZ

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought there was Swype for WP 7 ? I am a die hard Swype fan and can't imagine having to actually type a text.
I used swype for two years on my windows mobile omnia II and was dissapointed when It wasn't available on WP7, but I quickly adapted with the Trophy. With predictive typing you rarely have to finish a word and it seems to have improved with WP8 (based on my wife & kids 822's). I'm as fast or faster than I was with swype. Looking forward to getting the 928.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Does the Video camera use the rear microphone? I'm tired of taking videos of my kids and just hearing me laughing at them, it would be nice if it did.

ether813

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if this was asked, but is there any shutter lag when taking a photo, I am ready to ditch my Galaxy Note 2, but I want to made sure I can get pictures snapped as soon as I hit the shutter...hated the 8x for that reason....

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
How is durability? Have you dropped yours on a hard surface yet? :)
I've dropped mine a number of times (luckily not a face drop on concrete yet) and haven't had any functional issues, I am happy with the way it is holding up.

Don't know if this was asked, but is there any shutter lag when taking a photo, I am ready to ditch my Galaxy Note 2, but I want to made sure I can get pictures snapped as soon as I hit the shutter...hated the 8x for that reason....
I have not taken pictures with the 8X so I can't compare the two, but it seems to capture quickly when using the shutter button. When tapping the screen to capture it takes a bit longer because it auto-focuses then takes the picture.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know if Verizon made the max screen standby time in settings 5 minutes like they did on the 8x? This would be a deal breaker for me. Just wanted to know if you can verify that. Thanks.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know if Verizon made the max screen standby time in settings 5 minutes like they did on the 8x? This would be a deal breaker for me. Just wanted to know if you can verify that. Thanks.

If you mean the max time until standby, then yes it is 5min. Is this different on ATT phones? I thought this was the same across WP8.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I own a verizon 8x and in one of the updates (perhaps it was portico) this issue was fixed. Now it can be set to 15, 30 mins and never. I would assume the lumia 928 has the same ability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion