Is this phone worth the upgrade from an 8X?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Why:
-Camera
-Flash
-Microphones
-Speaker
-Display
-Nokia Apps
-Nokia Quality/Support

It is worth it if these things are important to you.

Id take Display and Support off that list. HTC support is just as good as Nokia's idk how this whole Nokia > HTC with support thing started. And Display can go either way, the 8x has greater ppi and 720p widescreen where the 928 is amoled and slightly bigger. Could go either way, wouldn't make that a deciding factor. I agree with everything else though!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Id take Display and Support off that list. HTC support is just as good as Nokia's idk how this whole Nokia > HTC with support thing started. And Display can go either way, the 8x has greater ppi and 720p widescreen where the 928 is amoled and slightly bigger. Could go either way, wouldn't make that a deciding factor. I agree with everything else though!

As a former HTC Titan owner, myself and many others were burned by HTC's lack of support. Even now, while the Lumia 900 recently gets the 7.8 update on AT&T, HTC have given Titan I and II owners absolutely nothing. Furthermore, HTC has done little to support their own devices. Nokia has released several updates for their Lumia line since WP8 hit. HTC has released far fewer. Nokia has given owners far more exclusive content. HTC has given owners almost nothing. It's not even a contest as to which company supports their devices more. It's Nokia in a landslide victory.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
As a former HTC Titan owner, myself and many others were burned by HTC's lack of support. Even now, while the Lumia 900 recently gets the 7.8 update on AT&T, HTC have given Titan I and II owners absolutely nothing. Furthermore, HTC has done little to support their own devices. Nokia has released several updates for their Lumia line since WP8 hit. HTC has released far fewer. Nokia has given owners far more exclusive content. HTC has given owners almost nothing. It's not even a contest as to which company supports their devices more. It's Nokia in a landslide victory.

I suppose with the 7 series models you may be right, but the 8x has gotten every update very quickly and their support has been very helpful, and since we are talking about the 8x. I think maybe something has changed for them when Microsoft gave them the "signature" branding. Plus I'm sure the 8x has sold more than all their other windows phone devices combined!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I suppose with the 7 series models you may be right, but the 8x has gotten every update very quickly and their support has been very helpful, and since we are talking about the 8x. I think maybe something has changed for them when Microsoft gave them the "signature" branding. Plus I'm sure the 8x has sold more than all their other windows phone devices combined!

Well there's the Microsoft specific updates that the 8X have definitely received (though I think some carriers are still holding the update back). But Nokia Nokia goes a step further with more firmware updates and software improvements.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with owning an 8X. It's a fine phone. Plus it's guaranteed to get major updates thanks to Microsoft's promised 18-month commitment. But if someone wanted just a liiiitle bit extra, then Nokia's exclusive content is hard to beat.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Yep, agree. I'd say Nokia has repeatedly proven that they offer superior support. Their initiative to solve the storage problem are just the latest example.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well there's the Microsoft specific updates that the 8X have definitely received (though I think some carriers are still holding the update back). But Nokia Nokia goes a step further with more firmware updates and software improvements.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with owning an 8X. It's a fine phone. Plus it's guaranteed to get major updates thanks to Microsoft's promised 18-month commitment. But if someone wanted just a liiiitle bit extra, then Nokia's exclusive content is hard to beat.

But the 8x HAS received HTC specific updates for firmware updates and improvements. Heck, I just got one last week!

Now looking into the future, yes Nokia has all it's eggs in one basket so they really have no option to short the WP users, but that doesn't mean HTC will. They certainly haven't been anything but great to us.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not an HTC fan boy, I actually don't care for them. But credit is due where credit is earned and with the 8x and their support for it I'm thoroughly surprised!

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't upgrade right now. While the 928 is technically superior to the 8X in a couple of key areas (camera, apps) it is still from the same generation as the 8x. I would hold off for the true next generation of Lumia's to come out later this fall before I'd plunk down any cash on something new.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on Tmobile and I dint know if your using an 8X or not, but the only things that will make me DEFINITELY get a international 928 or the recent 925 would be a storage upgrade. The camera isn't that big of a need for me. My 8X has been receiving regular updates quickly and HTC has been answering me support tickets REALLY fast and in a very caring manner. The storage though man ): I need SD Card or 32GB.

I'm now using an unlocked Rogers 920. Was using the 810 before, so you can imagine how I'm feeling in that regard (EOL and lack of Storage Check). Good to hear you've been getting good support from HTC. I've read so many stories about the opposite from other HTC owners.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone is saying HTC isn't holding their own. HTC actually does offer much better support for the 8x than they typically do. It's just that Nokia does even better.

Better enough to justify $499? That's the point I'm getting at. They do something's better, but definitely not better enough to make it a $499 decision! Sorry, I should have just said that from the start.. lol

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
But the 8x HAS received HTC specific updates for firmware updates and improvements. Heck, I just got one last week!

Now looking into the future, yes Nokia has all it's eggs in one basket so they really have no option to short the WP users, but that doesn't mean HTC will. They certainly haven't been anything but great to us.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not an HTC fan boy, I actually don't care for them. But credit is due where credit is earned and with the 8x and their support for it I'm thoroughly surprised!

Oh no, I'm not saying that HTC hasn't released firmware updates too. I do read the first page every once in a while, lol. Only that Nokia has released more. Maybe that's because there was more to fix, maybe not, but then there's stuff like the "Other Storage" fix that Nokia released and several exlusive apps like their camera lenses.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Better enough to justify $499? That's the point I'm getting at. They do something's better, but definitely not better enough to make it a $499 decision! Sorry, I should have just said that from the start.. lol

If someone already owns an 8X/9XX, I would recommend they stick with what they have. The 928/925 isn't enough to warrant another $500 dollar purchase.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, I'm not saying that HTC hasn't released firmware updates too. I do read the first page every once in a while, lol. Only that Nokia has released more. Maybe that's because there was more to fix, maybe not, but then there's stuff like the "Other Storage" fix that Nokia released and several exlusive apps like their camera lenses.

That I 100% agree with. Nokia walks on HTC with the exclusive apps!

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Well, I'm sort of in a unique situation which is why I still think I will pick up a 928. I've had a Droid DNA for a little while and I just sold it on Swappa for $420 last night. A couple weeks ago I bought a brand new 8X off a Verizon employee for $150. It was silly the price I got it at. It was literally brand new.

What's funny about the whole story is that I was originally buying the 8X to play with and possibly flip as I had been with Android for around 4 years. But I fell so much in love with it that I put my DNA on Swappa. Fast forward to last week and the 928 was announced. I told myself if a good Lumia comes out that's really what I want to have on WP8. So now I'm in a situation where 8X's are going for around $300 on Swappa.

So I will throw this on there and probably come out ahead even after buying the 928. Sound good or is my logic flawed?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm sort of in a unique situation which is why I still think I will pick up a 928. I've had a Droid DNA for a little while and I just sold it on Swappa for $420 last night. A couple weeks ago I bought a brand new 8X off a Verizon employee for $150. It was silly the price I got it at. It was literally brand new.

What's funny about the whole story is that I was originally buying the 8X to play with and possibly flip as I had been with Android for around 4 years. But I fell so much in love with it that I put my DNA on Swappa. Fast forward to last week and the 928 was announced. I told myself if a good Lumia comes out that's really what I want to have on WP8. So now I'm in a situation where 8X's are going for around $300 on Swappa.

So I will throw this on there and probably come out ahead even after buying the 928. Sound good or is my logic flawed?

Sounds like what I'm doing. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)