How to switch from 8X

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be getting the 928, and my wife will be taking my 8X. How does MS back up app lists, account settings, and so on? Anyone have any pointers?

Once I have mine set up, do I just do a reset on my phone from settings to set it to factory default?

Thanks in advance!

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be getting the 928, and my wife will be taking my 8X. How does MS back up app lists, account settings, and so on? Anyone have any pointers?

Once I have mine set up, do I just do a reset on my phone from settings to set it to factory default?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan, thanks for posting this! I would also like to know as I will be selling my 8X after I get my 928. I just want to make sure I remember all of the apps that I currently have installed, etc.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Your contacts, music, documents, photos, accounts, email, and all that should automatically load up when you type in your live account. Apps and games will not. You need to reinstall them. If they were purchased, you will be able to reinstall them free.

To answer your question about app lists, I've found nothing, but it sounds like a really good app idea!

I think that hits it all. Feel free to ask about something specific, I've reset my phone numerous times.

Yes, reset your phone from settings will put it back to factory.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Your contacts, music, documents, photos, accounts, email, and all that should automatically load up when you type in your live account. Apps and games will not. You need to reinstall them. If they were purchased, you will be able to reinstall them free.

To answer your question about app lists, I've found nothing, but it sounds like a really good app idea!

I think that hits it all. Feel free to ask about something specific, I've reset my phone numerous times.

Yes, reset your phone from settings will put it back to factory.

Thanks for the response! So you basically have to write down each app you have installed to remember which ones to install after you do a factory reset, get a new phone, etc?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response! So you basically have to write down each app you have installed to remember which ones to install after you do a factory reset, get a new phone, etc?

Afaik yes. I'm going to look further into this, cause I really think there should be a better way. If not, sounds like a cool app idea I'll develop once final exams are over

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No actually, once you activate your new phone it will ask you to sign in to your Microsoft account, then it says something like "we detected a backup for your old device, would you like to restore now?" if you tap yes, it will download all your texts, pictures from SkyDrive, music, ALL APPS (if you backed them up). My 920 broke and I got a new one. When I first restored it, I had like 130 apps pending in the marketplace

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You can go to WindowsPhone.com and go to your purchase history and click Reinstall to have your registered phone automatically reinstall the app or game. Actually works pretty well! Hope that helps!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
No actually, once you activate your new phone it will ask you to sign in to your Microsoft account, then it says something like "we detected a backup for your old device, would you like to restore now?" if you tap yes, it will download all your texts, pictures from SkyDrive, music, ALL APPS (if you backed them up). My 920 broke and I got a new one. When I first restored it, I had like 130 apps pending in the marketplace

Are you sure? Mine has never reinstalled my apps. How do you "backup" apps?

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Afaik yes. I'm going to look further into this, cause I really think there should be a better way. If not, sounds like a cool app idea I'll develop once final exams are over

Dude, coming from Android you should REALLY develop this app if there isn't one already. There are multiple ones on Android and they are an absolute lifesaver. I used them all the time since I would always factory reset, flash new ROM's, etc. Even though I'm glad I'm on the WP side now, that will be an app and function that I will sorely miss!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure? Mine has never reinstalled my apps. How do you "backup" apps?

Even though I did not want to help you in anyway due to comments in the past you said. It will backup your installed app list as well, it does not backup any app setting, after restore, connect your phone to wi-fi and let the hours of app downloads (depending on how many apps you have).

I had to do this with my 8X when it went to a "sleep of death" and got a replacement, it setup all accounts, texts and apps. It just sucks that game saves dont get backed up. I miss having a fully unlocked phone for this, as 7.X with a full unlocked there was a app on XDA to back everything up and after reset you could restore everything, including game saves :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999