05-15-2013 11:18 PM
73 123
tools
    The phone is fine, but what I don't understand is why Nokia would bother with a press event for a tweak of an existing phone...
    Nor do I. I'm glad I didn't get up at 4am to watch it.

I'm thrilled. All I wanted was a high end Nokia phone on Verizon.
    THIS!
    DavidinCT likes this.
    05-14-2013 09:41 AM
    i'm not underwhelmed bc i never hyped it up to be anything more than it was intended. none of these phones were meant to be the next gen lumia. they were meant to be 920 offerings unique to different carriers. the next gen stuff will come at the end of the year. 6 months after the 920 is way too early to drastically revamp their flagship. a year+ is acceptable/expected for a next gen phone.
    05-14-2013 10:14 AM
    I'm hearing alot of conflicting reports here! Which is it? 16 or 32 gigs, SD or no SD, does 928 have Smart Cam or not??
    Sent from my {Lumia 820} using Board Express
    Julaayi likes this.
    05-14-2013 10:25 AM
    And increasing power consumption or making the device run hotter!
    You say that, but when you experience heavier apps and sites loading almost instantaneously, you won't want to go back. Android manufacturers are shipping larger batteries and more powerful processors in more compact frames, I don't see why Nokia can't solve such a problem similarly.
    05-14-2013 10:28 AM
    Yes, 2year contact with either of those two. This time next year what will be out? Nokia Lumia xxx
    05-14-2013 10:33 AM
    Considering the fact that WP8 runs so smoothly on the 920, I don't really see the need for a huge bump in specs and since WP8 doesn't currently support 1080p displays, the current processors are more than capable of giving the user an excellent experience. I can see specs being bumped once the maximum resolution is increased. I'm in a great position though because I'll be using my dad's upgrade to get the 928 and then my line will be eligible in October. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking to come out quite so quickly, but it'll be nice to have the chance to upgrade if I choose to do so.
    05-14-2013 10:42 AM
    925 was overhyped by the press. 928 is exactly what I thought it would be. I'm very happy with my 8x but I will be getting the 928 because I want a great video recording device and more storage!
    Laura Knotek and Mandos like this.
    05-14-2013 10:48 AM
    I want to see a camera comparison between the 920/928/925.
    05-14-2013 10:53 AM
    From one perspective it makes total sense that Nokia would introduce the 925. Many complained that the 920 was bulky and heavy. The phone might be totally fine once you're used to it, but first impressions matter. Secondly, it's entirely possible that Nokia is privy to data that shows consumers dislike colorful phones. I can see it being quite polarizing, especially since Apple continues to define the aesthetic. Black, white and aluminum for everybody. Some day Apple will introduce colorful phones and everyone will soil their pants in excitement. Suddenly a yellow phone will be every bit as professional as as black one.

Another problem for Nokia is that they aren't in a leadership position. Samsung and Apple are the default brands so things are a lot easier for them. Everyone else has to work a lot harder. Nokia in particular was put in a difficult situation in that they introduced their device early in this wave of phones, their thunder being stolen by the advent of the Blackberry Z10, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. So the Lumia 928 and 925 revitalizes the line.

Now with that in mind, there's something to be said for instilling good will in the minds of owners of existing devices. People don't like to feel like they're being left behind for the next big thing, especially while they're in possession of a device that still feels new. I think that one of Apple's strong points is that they've got a very stable update cycle. They don't start teasing new devices on a few months in to the current life cycle. You can't control the press, but at least there's the confidence that Apple isn't going to leave you high and dry. Granted, the 925/928 seem to be functionality identical to the 920, but perception is what counts.

Part of that perception goes back to brand image. The 920 was visually distinctive. The 925, while attractive, is not. Whether the 925 ever ends up on store shelves remains to be seen. I'm convinced that one of the big problems with the 920 was that stores put no effort into marketing them, assuming they even carried the phones at all, which many retailers did not. I'm not sure the 925 will change that, and it's certainly not going to jump off the display like the 920 would have.
    05-14-2013 10:54 AM
    925 was overhyped by the press. 928 is exactly what I thought it would be. I'm very happy with my 8x but I will be getting the 928 because I want a great video recording device and more storage!
    Exactly. Kind of reminds me of when the I phone 4s was announced...everyone was like wait a minute...this is what I've been waiting for? Lol! But, I knew the 928/925 were just an extension of the Lumia 920 family, so I'm fine with the announcements.

On another note, pls don't change your profile picture. Its a constant reminder that I need to keep planning my next vacation! :)
    berty6294 likes this.
    05-14-2013 10:56 AM
    I think that the folks who are disappointed were the ones who were expecting to see the next generation of Lumia devices. It's only been 6 months since the 920 came out. Releasing a completely new, next-gen Lumia right now would **** off a fair bit of folks who just plunked down their money on the 920.

I suspect that we'll see the true next-gen devices later this year.
    05-14-2013 12:26 PM
    I think that the folks who are disappointed were the ones who were expecting to see the next generation of Lumia devices. It's only been 6 months since the 920 came out. Releasing a completely new, next-gen Lumia right now would **** off a fair bit of folks who just plunked down their money on the 920.

I suspect that we'll see the true next-gen devices later this year.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what people were expecting. The next flagship? Remember what happened with the Lumia 900 and Lumia 920? There was so much complaining about that. A big part of it was the lack of an upgrade to WP8, but many people seemed to be angry that their phone became "outdated" in only six months.

Android used to have this problem too, where HTC and Samsung kept updating their phone with minor changes seemingly every three months. People complained about that, and now their flagships usually are released once a year.

But now that this isn't really an "upgrade" people are making fun of it? What do you guys want?! Make up your minds!
    05-14-2013 01:35 PM
    But it is an upgrade for those of us on Verizon for our various reasons. Personally, I don't see where anyone has a right to complain about the 928, and by extension the 925, because ATT had their flagship, now this is our flagship. The 920 is not outdated, since it is still the flagship ATT phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-14-2013 01:48 PM
    But it is an upgrade for those of us on Verizon for our various reasons. Personally, I don't see where anyone has a right to complain about the 928, and by extension the 925, because ATT had their flagship, now this is our flagship. The 920 is not outdated, since it is still the flagship ATT phone.
    Oh right, I forgot this thread was also about the 928. 928 would be an upgrade over the 822, since there was no CDMA flagship device from Nokia (except for whatever special version China got). But the 925 I don't really think is meant to be an upgrade. Am I interested in it? Maybe if I switch to T-Mobile, or if I could get an unlocked one with North American bands for cheap.
    05-14-2013 01:58 PM
    Oh right, I forgot this thread was also about the 928. 928 would be an upgrade over the 822, since there was no CDMA flagship device from Nokia (except for whatever special version China got). But the 925 I don't really think is meant to be an upgrade. Am I interested in it? Maybe if I switch to T-Mobile, or if I could get an unlocked one with North American bands for cheap.
    Likewise, the 925 is an upgrade for the TMO users.

As far as unlocked, if you look at 47 CFR 27.16 (e) you will see that for phones on Block C of the 700 MHz band (Verizon's LTE), carrier locking is prohibited. If you want to be sure to get one unlocked, buy it from Verizon.
    47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute
    05-14-2013 02:15 PM
    Likewise, the 925 is an upgrade for the TMO users.

As far as unlocked, if you look at 47 CFR 27.16 (e) you will see that for phones on Block C of the 700 MHz band (Verizon's LTE), carrier locking is prohibited. If you want to be sure to get one unlocked, buy it from Verizon.
    47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Yeah, but couldn't someone have bought an unlocked Lumia 920?

And I am aware that because the bid price went high enough (thanks to Google), it triggered the above requirement. However, Verizon seems to modify the firmware in some way so that you can't change MMS settings of their 8X and 822, and I don't expect the 928 to be any different.
    05-14-2013 02:44 PM
    Yeah, but couldn't someone have bought an unlocked Lumia 920?

And I am aware that because the bid price went high enough (thanks to Google), it triggered the above requirement. However, Verizon seems to modify the firmware in some way so that you can't change MMS settings of their 8X and 822, and I don't expect the 928 to be any different.
    No, you couldn't buy an unlocked 920. Not in America. But now, six months later, we are hearing the first utterances of ATT giving out unlock codes.
    05-14-2013 03:18 PM
    No, you couldn't buy an unlocked 920. Not in America. But now, six months later, we are hearing the first utterances of ATT giving out unlock codes.
    Not in America, but you could get a Rogers unlocked 920, or one of the developer 920's from BUILD.
    05-14-2013 03:24 PM
    Not in America, but you could get a Rogers unlocked 920, or one of the developer 920's from BUILD.
    You couldn't (and still can't legally) buy the BUILD devices. They are not for resale.
    05-14-2013 03:25 PM
    You couldn't (and still can't legally) buy the BUILD devices. They are not for resale.
    Then get the Rogers version?
    05-14-2013 06:39 PM
    The 925 is not even for T-Mo. Its the carrier variant for Vodafone. T-mo is just got a free ride.
    05-14-2013 06:50 PM
    I am another thrilled Verizon user. For six months I have lived with 920 envy. This week I finally get my 928 with a few small upgrades and a super sexy body. For once Verizon hasn't let me down. As for the 925... Im glad that I am not on T-mo... Its rare that I hate a Nokia design but that one does nothing for me.
    Jakoh likes this.
    05-14-2013 07:00 PM
    No not really underwhelmed, they were mid cycle releases if that even. MS and OEMS need to flood the market in order to gain market share like Android did and it's now coming to life and its great.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-14-2013 07:51 PM
    Why do you need 2GB of ram when you can only run one thing at a time?
    ... they couldn't add more megapixels to the camera or 2gb of ram?
    05-15-2013 12:22 AM
    You guys mite be underwhelmed with Nokia, as you were hoping for more from them.

What I feel is that they have coped up for the exclusive AT&T 920, by releasing two upgraded models of the successful 920.
    Now no1 would want the same 920 released after 6-7 months on a different carrier,instead they tried to add some Spice,
    -Gave Lumia 928 a Xenon Flash a New Look
    -Gave Lumia 925 6 physical Lens which filled in for xenon flash on 928, but to keep prices low opted out he wireless charging as it does add bulk and weight to the device.

Also, common Guys..... Nokia will keep their best for Nokia World in September.... as in June-July new iPhone is launching if i'm not wrong. Can take Ques from them too.
    Eos is expected then and the Lumia Phablet followed by Large screen low cost phones...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-15-2013 12:40 AM
73 123