Anyone Else Underwhelmed With The Nokia Lumia 928 & 925?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Now that both phones have been unveiled im a bit disappointed with the both of them. Not saying im not getting the 928 but I am but after 6 months they couldn't add more megapixels to the camera or 2gb of ram?

I mean im definitely getting the 928 but I feel skeptical because the new phones with the launch of the blue update are probably right around the corner. They are great phones don't get me wrong but the differences from the 920 are so minor that neither phone makes it worth using an upgrade to get or paying $500 imo.

Im one of the vzw customers that has to go the full retail route to keep my unlimited data and im thinking about just waiting and going the ebay route for probably 300-400 bucks.

Now that both phones have been fully unveiled what are your thoughts on them? Which do u think is the better phone? I think the 928 > 925 I like the body style of the 925 more but I like the back and the xenon flash more on the 928. With the 925 being shown off and the Smart Camera app I am a bit confused, I thought those features where already on the 920 at launch?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed as well. But it seems they want to give users options. So it's the same phone, but it's a variant.

You won't get the 920 because its too heavy? Here, get the 925. Want better flash pictures? Get the 928. Want colours? Get the 920. Instead

Options are what we have.

Hopefully, summer will be a better announcement.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
underwhelmed by 925, but then I thought I would be, didn't understand why everyone was so excited about a metal phone.
Disappointed that we didn't see the 41 MP camera, ala 808, or any real big leap in camera technology. And the 925 is only half the memory at 16MP. Too soon to tell if slimming down a few grams of weight will please the critics.
I really do like the look and form factor of the 928 though over the 920. That'll be my next phone.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You guys have it all wrong, AT&T had the 920 exclusive for 6 months, Verizon & TMO didn't just want the same looking 6 month old phone. Just like the 820, 810 & 822. The 920 family will be replaced in 6 months or one year after the 920 was released with the updated OS allowing better hardware specs. GS3 to GS4 took 1 year.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Based on the name along, you should have known they weren't going to be anything real unique. How much different did you expect a variant to be? Nokia isn't going to kill off their flagship 6 months into it.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
i am getting the 928. im pretty excited and thursday cannot come soon enough. i am coning from an hd7 on tmo, and refuse to wait until after june. besides, i think the 928 is better looking and has more memory.....and i can get it this week!

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You guys have it all wrong, AT&T had the 920 exclusive for 6 months, Verizon & TMO didn't just want the same looking 6 month old phone. Just like the 820, 810 & 822. The 920 family will be replaced in 6 months or one year after the 920 was released with the updated OS allowing better hardware specs. GS3 to GS4 took 1 year.

Sorry, I just don't get that logic. I think Nokia would be in a stronger market position if they developed one really good phone for all carriers instead of a new design for each. iphone and samsung gs3 didn't give each carrier a completely different model, even the ones that got the phones later. Make improvements to the Lumia every six months sure, but the amount of resources spent on developing all new phones is just unbelievable. It just seems like Nokia's competing against themselves and watering down the brand.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I just don't get that logic. I think Nokia would be in a stronger market position if they developed one really good phone for all carriers instead of a new design for each. iphone and samsung gs3 didn't give each carrier a completely different model, even the ones that got the phones later. Make improvements to the Lumia every six months sure, but the amount of resources spent on developing all new phones is just unbelievable. It just seems like Nokia's competing against themselves and watering down the brand.
Nokia has no clout against the (rather greedy) American carriers. And, thanks to the carriers' greed, they're stuck with exclusives.
There you have it folks, if you want Nokia to stop getting backed into a corner, do them a favor and switch to T-Mo and buy WPs every chance you get (presuming you want to)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Make improvements to the Lumia every six months sure, but the amount of resources spent on developing all new phones is just unbelievable. It just seems like Nokia's competing against themselves and watering down the brand.

These aren't all new phones. The cost to bring them to market and more importantly, the cost to maintain them, are shared between all 92x variants.

As such, this isn't at all Nokia competing against itself. This is just a reflection of the competition between U.S. carriers. From Nokia's point of view, this is all the same device in different packaging.

As long as the consumer ends up buying a Lumia device, Nokia doesn't care which U.S. carrier competed more successfully by making the better sales pitch.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dont really understand how did you put 928 in front of 925. 925 has mSD, better camera and an early taste of the smart cam...

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Underwhelmed or disapointed kind of fits a little, yea but, what did everyone really expect ? We all know I was hoping for expandable storage but, all in all, what did everyone expect with Windows Phone 8???

This is not a 8.5 device, the hardware standards have not changed yet. So you get the same hardware as the 920. The 928 and 925 are just re-hashes of the 920 with some minor upgrades. If you wanted a 920 and could not get it on your carrier, then this is awsome. If you were expecting for a brand new, better, newer phone, this is not it.

I too really wanted to see a higer end phone with some major changes but, deep down I knew that this is Not a new WIndows Phone, it's the same software so the hardware could not change too much. What did people expect ? 1080p ? 2mb ram ? 64gb option ? MicroSD? 5" display ?

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia gave us what I expected. These phones were not meant to be upgrades over the 920, just variations like the 820/821/822. They came out 6 months later because AT&T must have thrown Nokia a fair bit of money at them for exclusivity, otherwise we probably would have seen all 3 6 months ago. There's nothing more to it, the major upgrades will come at the end of the year and for those who can't wait now have 3 great options to choose from.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Dont really understand how did you put 928 in front of 925. 925 has mSD, better camera and an early taste of the smart cam...
Is it really a better camera? It's not the 808 that everyone wanted (41mp). Some improved software but not big changes. And the 928 has that Xenon flash! Also the 925 seems a downgrade in that it has half the memory at only 16gb.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Nokia probably had no choice in developing slightly different variants for each carrier. US carriers, especially Verizon, have a lot of power when it comes to influencing design by manufacturers. Samsung and Apple are the only manufacturers with the clout to demand that the same variant of phone run unchanged on each carrier. Nokia just doesn't have that clout.

The internals of these phones (920, 925, 928) are largely the same, and most of the technology is the same. The amount of resources used to design the 925 and 928 is probably pretty minimal, compared to what they used for the original 900. No doubt, most of their resources are currently being used to build up their Nokia software, and on the next generation of devices running the next version of Windows Phone.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia gave us what I expected. These phones were not meant to be upgrades over the 920, just variations like the 820/821/822. They came out 6 months later because AT&T must have thrown Nokia a fair bit of money at them for exclusivity, otherwise we probably would have seen all 3 6 months ago. There's nothing more to it, the major upgrades will come at the end of the year and for those who can't wait now have 3 great options to choose from.

Exactly. This is great news for Nokia and Windows Phone. Verizon and T-Mobile users now get access to flagship Nokia Windows Phone devices that they didn't previously have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs