Anyone Else Underwhelmed With The Nokia Lumia 928 & 925?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Likewise, the 925 is an upgrade for the TMO users.

As far as unlocked, if you look at 47 CFR 27.16 (e) you will see that for phones on Block C of the 700 MHz band (Verizon's LTE), carrier locking is prohibited. If you want to be sure to get one unlocked, buy it from Verizon.
47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute

Yeah, but couldn't someone have bought an unlocked Lumia 920?

And I am aware that because the bid price went high enough (thanks to Google), it triggered the above requirement. However, Verizon seems to modify the firmware in some way so that you can't change MMS settings of their 8X and 822, and I don't expect the 928 to be any different.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but couldn't someone have bought an unlocked Lumia 920?

And I am aware that because the bid price went high enough (thanks to Google), it triggered the above requirement. However, Verizon seems to modify the firmware in some way so that you can't change MMS settings of their 8X and 822, and I don't expect the 928 to be any different.
No, you couldn't buy an unlocked 920. Not in America. But now, six months later, we are hearing the first utterances of ATT giving out unlock codes.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh right, I forgot this thread was also about the 928. 928 would be an upgrade over the 822, since there was no CDMA flagship device from Nokia (except for whatever special version China got). But the 925 I don't really think is meant to be an upgrade. Am I interested in it? Maybe if I switch to T-Mobile, or if I could get an unlocked one with North American bands for cheap.
The 925 is not even for T-Mo. Its the carrier variant for Vodafone. T-mo is just got a free ride.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am another thrilled Verizon user. For six months I have lived with 920 envy. This week I finally get my 928 with a few small upgrades and a super sexy body. For once Verizon hasn't let me down. As for the 925... Im glad that I am not on T-mo... Its rare that I hate a Nokia design but that one does nothing for me.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
No not really underwhelmed, they were mid cycle releases if that even. MS and OEMS need to flood the market in order to gain market share like Android did and it's now coming to life and its great.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
You guys mite be underwhelmed with Nokia, as you were hoping for more from them.

What I feel is that they have coped up for the exclusive AT&T 920, by releasing two upgraded models of the successful 920.
Now no1 would want the same 920 released after 6-7 months on a different carrier,instead they tried to add some Spice,
-Gave Lumia 928 a Xenon Flash a New Look
-Gave Lumia 925 6 physical Lens which filled in for xenon flash on 928, but to keep prices low opted out he wireless charging as it does add bulk and weight to the device.

Also, common Guys..... Nokia will keep their best for Nokia World in September.... as in June-July new iPhone is launching if i'm not wrong. Can take Ques from them too.
Eos is expected then and the Lumia Phablet followed by Large screen low cost phones...

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How so? Nokia was already developing it before that guy from Vodafone even knew about it.
It was said in the press conference yesterday. Nokia first approach Vodafone with the 920. Like most of the critics Vodafone thinks it is too bulky. So couple months later Nokia came back with that gray prototype we saw earlier and seal the deal with Vodafone. Also since Vodafone got the 32G model as exclusive, you can piece the rest of the story.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So now every carrier has a top lumia line, you're underwhelmed. Not surprised. This forum is always moaning

6 month old hardware that will be surpassed when they unveil the eos in a couple months who wouldn't be underwhelmed when they just bought these phones?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
6 month old hardware that will be surpassed when they unveil the eos in a couple months who wouldn't be underwhelmed when they just bought these phones?

Windows Phone, just like iPhone, will NEVER be known for it's specs. NEVER. It will ALWAYS be known for it's looks and simplicity. What y'all don't seem to get is that 6 months ago, this very forum was PISSED because AT&T was the ONLY carrier to have the 920 and everyone else had a midrange Nokia offering. Before that, people were pissed because AT&T was the only company to have any Nokia products (aside from T-Mobile with one low-end phone). Now we're underwhelmed because Nokia stuck with something that works and didn't do a complete overhaul for their device that is only 6 months old. Just like the Bold phones, the Galaxies, and all the other lines that have a signature name, they will always have a signature look. To completely change any variant of a 900 will make it no longer a 900. If you aren't ecstatic about it because it's been done or you already own some form of that phone, then it wasn't intended for you. Every phone that comes out is NOT made for you to like. It's made for those that haven't had a chance to own that particular model

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I think the reason people are underwhelmed is because the 920 has been out for so long. I understand that AT&T had a six month exclusive, but if the 928 and 925 would have been launched within a month or two of the 920 the strategy would have been more effective. People are naturally comparing the 928 and 925 to the latest and greatest from other manufacturers such as the GS4 and HTC One and they see these big 1080 screens and updated specs with essentially the same Nokia product from last year.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I would still take the 928 over the one or gs4 any day of the week. Unfortunately the uninformed are easily swayed with gaudy stats. I still say that my Trophy stands up well to the iPhone 4 and I like using it much more than my wife's iPhone 5. We just need to keep building market share and educate people about what makes WP great.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've just come from an Ativ S and 8X back to a 920 which I had the beginning of this year, which got sent back to Amazon due to some faults. I was sceptical about going to a phone that is now 7 months old know that both of these new phone would be coming out soon but I'm not fussed or nor do I feel eager to get the 925 or 928. Personally I think they have ruined the design of it just a little, they have shifted the speaker to the back and reduced the on-board capacity by 50% ! ? What is this about !? They have gone backwards in many aspects.

An interview with one of Nokia's designers in London a couple of days ago he says quite clearly "There is reduced function on this device but we are aiming at a different market". Yes, the display may be better and possibly the speaker, but the build quality, and specs are exactly identical (other than the aluminium.) And there is no wireless charging out of the box???

To put it short I am also disappointed, and I will be waiting until blue comes out along with 1080p support and a few other things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077