Will Verizon or Nokia really back this device?

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
We've all heard this device will have hero status on Verizon and will be backed with a giant add campaign. I really want to believe this and I will be getting the device regardless, but I worry that because of the delays this phone is more likely going to be tucked away in the familiar unmanned corners of Verizon stores where most Windows Phones reside.

A lot of people have said that their Verizon reps have never heard of the phone and it launches in two days. This actually happened to my fianc?e today. The rep said "the 920 what?" when she asked about it. Then when she told him about the device he was impressed by how much more she knew about the device than he did. He also told her the big launch was the Galaxy S4. Verizon recently moved that from a May 30th release to a May 24th release giving their new Windows Phone hero device, which is still to turn up on their webpage with two days to launch, one week to sell before releasing the new Samsung.

Then there's Nokia, who will likely back this device but have been doing it no favors lately. Nokia couldn't secure a better announcement than to quietly put it up on their own webpage so that only tech bloggers and windows phone fanatics know of its existence. On top of that they announce the 925 two days before the 928 comes out so all the news shifts away from the device that's launching now to a device that's launching in a month. I still prefer the 928, but instead of working on reviews and stories for the 928 they're all busy discussing the first aluminum Windows Phone.

I'm still going to buy the device and I'm positive I'm going to love it. I'll tell all my friends about it, but I'm just hoping that crazy expensive marketing campaign isn't going to be word of mouth. So far beyond a few billboards and a magazine advertisement it looks like that's going to be the case.

I'm sorry this was so negative. I'm just worried that the 928 will end up a blown chance to build Windows Phone marketshare and viability here in the states. I really love Windows Phone and want to see it take off but between the reps, delays, and announcements of other devices I'm just a little worried that this will be like when I got funny looks for asking about the Trophy and decided to buy it online.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same concerns. I found the Trophy by reading reviews on vzw not from any promotion whatsoever. I fear that the 928 will become the best device on Verizon but that no one will know about it.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I walked into a Verizon store in midtown Manhattan today, and asked the staff about Lumia 928 - he smiled and said "no, it's not out yet. Next week"

davros1179

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I also found windows phone by chance. The woman that sold the phone to me at the Verizon store didn't even know that WP was a smart phone. I hope they get on the ball now that WP is becoming a major smart phone competitor!

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I walked into a Verizon store in midtown Manhattan today, and asked the staff about Lumia 928 - he smiled and said "no, it's not out yet. Next week"

That's encouraging. I kind of expect them to train their employees about a wider range of devices in places like the city though where there are more people. I know the phone isn't out yet and so that's part of why we haven't seen a lot of marketing yet. Hopefully they'll do some informative but attention grabbing commercials that will spark some interest. I've seen a video from Verizon explaining why people should buy the 928 and it was horrible. It hits the right notes it's just completely uninteresting. I'm not sure if it was meant for internal training of Verizon employees or not, but if it was I can tell why the reps have a lack of interest. To me the video is dry and plays out like a late 90s power point presentation. I included a link.

Hear Verizon’s Nokia Lumia 928 sales pitch (video) | WMPoweruser

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy launch is kind of what scares me. I knew about Windows Phone long before it came to Verizon. I heard about it because I play a lot of Xbox and it was said Microsoft was planning to position Windows Phone as it's handheld console instead of using a dedicated piece of hardware. I really liked the idea of achievements on the go and such. So did one of my closest friends and he was really excited about Windows Phone too. However, Verizon was unable to be part of the launch due to a lack of CDMA phones and by the time the Trophy came out the iPhone had finally come to Verizon and Microsoft had missed a sea of potential buyers including my friend who no longer gives Windows Phone a second thought. I waited for the Trophy, but I can't help but wonder how it would have done if it had some time as the sole competitor to Android on Verizon. Now I hope I won't be left wondering how the Lumia 928 would have done if it didn't launch so close to the S4.

P.S. At that point Blackberry no longer seemed to count as a competitor to Android on Verizon.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Every employee has an online, interactive training for the 928, so they better be learning about it!

I'm kind of concerned too though, because there's only a black and blue gel case and screen protectors available for it. Same story as the Odyssey.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Which store did you go to and did you speak to the manager? I visited two stores - 34th Herald Square and 42nd Bryant Park. Both had sales associates that had no clue, but both managers knew about the phone and said they will have both colors in stock at launch. The only difference between the two is one will not sell the phone at retail (34th) and the other will.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Although the 925 does nothing for me I am jealous that it got a huge launch. The 928 was the top dog for about a week before being pushed aside. I still think the phone will sell. The 822 is strong selling windows phone. The low profile launch, lack of interesting colors and seemingly few accessories gives me doubt. I really believe that this could be a game changer for windows phone due to how big Verizon is but instead I fear that it will be just an anonymous phone in the showroom.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
928 is clearly a low-key product for both Verizon and Nokia, an interim release at best. I would not expect either one to spend any serious money on advertising it. Add to that US consumers' disdain for WP, and the situation is quite obvious.

Verizon wants to become another Apple or Samsung dependent operator for what ever reason, while in Europe operators are now talking that they want to loosen the bond with iPhone owing to Apple's growing hold of their business, which has started to affect margins. Indeed, iPhone's market share has since began to decline in Europe. In the US, things seem to be going the other way round.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Which store did you go to and did you speak to the manager? I visited two stores - 34th Herald Square and 42nd Bryant Park. Both had sales associates that had no clue, but both managers knew about the phone and said they will have both colors in stock at launch. The only difference between the two is one will not sell the phone at retail (34th) and the other will.
40s Madison avenue.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
When the Blackberry Q10 is getting a small front-page spot on Verizon and T-MO and the Lumia's are not - that's a concern.

It's possible they are not going to start promoting until launch, let's hope so.

easyrun99

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that there is an info signup page for the BB Q10 on VZW's homepage, but still nothing about the 928 which launches tomorrow...

Dogfish beat me to it...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's interesting that there is an info signup page for the BB Q10 on VZW's homepage, but still nothing about the 928 which launches tomorrow...

Dogfish beat me to it...

So basically the same old story with WP and US carriers, no promotion then there will be complaints later that WP doesn't sell. Was anyone really expecting any different?

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Dogfish beat me to it...

Great minds :)

Nokia do things a little differently as well. I think they know that some big press event in NYC costs a lot and really only buys them the same amount of coverage they got anyway.

I am hoping they have SOMETHING up their sleeve, because right now my perception is that the device shipped late, it's now too close to the Galaxy launch and Nokia missed their opportunity. Hopefully the Lumia ads (wedding fight) for the 920 are driving some in-store traffic at Verizon and they will push this device.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Every employee has an online, interactive training for the 928, so they better be learning about it!

I'm kind of concerned too though, because there's only a black and blue gel case and screen protectors available for it. Same story as the Odyssey.
I'm encouraging everyone to contact the case-supplier of their choice and express their desires. I've contacted both Speck and PhantomSkinz. Speck told me to submit my request by pressing the suggestions button on the left side of the screen, and PhantomSkins sent me the following response:
Hi Rich!

Thanks for the note. We are hopeful that someone will give us the phone
upon release so we can get the design done. It takes about 8-10 hours. If
you are near us, we would be happy to use yours and give you a free kit of
your choice installed.

Thank you for choosing PhantomSkinz!

CustomerService@PhantomSkinz.com
PhantomSkinz Customer Service Team
Office: (480) 497-2965
www.PhantomSkinz.com

Check out this thread and add your own desires to it, to encourage others to contact these suppliers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077