Nokia 925 getting more attention than 928

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else a little miffed that yet again a WP released on Verizon doesn't get that much press? I had hope but its like the 925 has taken all the attention.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's because the 928 is only for VZW, which only exists in the US.

Although T-Mobile US is getting the 925, so are multiple carriers overseas. People in countries other than US are not going to pay attention to a device that is only for one carrier in a country other than where they reside.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to have faith. Honest Abe has said more than once that they are going to push this phone. I'm going to take him at his word. Let it at least get launched before we organize the lynch mob (not for Abe, but for VZW). :wink:

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That's because the 928 is only for VZW, which only exists in the US.

Although T-Mobile US is getting the 925, so are multiple carriers overseas. People in countries other than US are not going to pay attention to a device that is only for one carrier in a country other than where they reside.

I understand this but the US is the market WP still really needs to gain traction in. Verizon is our biggest carrier and they never push the product.

Hop I hope that is true.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I understand this but the US is the market WP still really needs to gain traction in. Verizon is our biggest carrier and they never push the product.

Hop I hope that is true.
That's true. However, many of the reviews and media coverage are from non-US sources. For example, BBC and Telegraph UK both covered the 925. I doubt if those UK sources would give anything more than a passing glance at the 928, since it won't be sold in UK.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Id like to add also, the 925 is the one that Nokia built up much of the hype for. It is also much MUCH more different from any other Nokia device with new materials, camera, and overall just a different design language.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Id like to add also, the 925 is the one that Nokia built up much of the hype for. It is also much MUCH more different from any other Nokia device with new materials, camera, and overall just a different design language.

i totally agree with you.
And the fact that 925 is a global version so its much hyped.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Hop I hope that is true.

Honestabebread noted that it costs VZW about $100-150 less, per phone, in support costs for WP over Android. If that is true, then you can bet the farm that VZW is going to push this phone. They aren't exactly thrilled with Samsung's position anymore than Apple's. They want a wide array of successful products so that they can keep their overall costs low, via competition, and have numerous options to fit all of their customer's needs, thereby giving them no reason to leave, while attracting others.

Put simply, it's in VZW's best interest for WP to succeed.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The device has to sell itself first then the carrier will push the sales. At the $99.00 price point and the quality and features this phone will sell. With the downturn in apple sales Verizon has turned to blackberry and windows to help keep customers and gain sales.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The device has to sell itself first then the carrier will push the sales. At the $99.00 price point and the quality and features this phone will sell. With the downturn in apple sales Verizon has turned to blackberry and windows to help keep customers and gain sales.

Apparently the Lumias are significantly cheaper for VZW to purchase as well. tcman88 showed a conversation from work where they are talking about the ROS (return on sale) being so high for this device. Believe me, when VZW sees a phone with much lower support costs, and the phones are so much cheaper than other high end phones for them to buy and sell, these will be getting the corporate directive to sell. VZW isn't stupid. If they can get someone into a 2 year contract on a high end phone that costs $150 less for them to offer and has lower support costs, they are going to do what they can to make it a top seller. They'll obviously hedge their bets, but the 822 already proved itself with them.

McSlappy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
This phone has gotten tons of attention for the past year. This is basically a Verizon version of the 920 from last year. So consider the 920 press to be your coverage as well. Verizon as usual is 4-6 months behind the industry.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, the 928 was leaked some time before the official announcement. The 925 was more rumors than leaks. The point is that all new phones get the attention...because its new! Lol! The 925 is a first for Nokia. First phone with built in Smart Camera, first WP with 6 lenses, first WP with aluminum, first WP that is significantly thinner, etc. It has the attention of both techies and consumers, because of its innovation and uniqueness. The tech world had tons of complaints when the 920 arrived. They complained it was too bulky, too heavy, not enough apps, etc. Now there's nothing to complain about, and they're finally giving the Lumia brand what it deserves- recognition! It doesn't matter if its the 920, 928, or 925...they are the same family.

This is beginning to sound like a soap opera talk show...why are people trying to split up the family? Lol!

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to do with splitting up the family. Just feels like Verizon will never have the phone that everyone is talking about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss