Considering Switching from Android

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
All, I am considering joining the Windows Phone world, but have a few questions coming from an Android environment:

1. How is podcast support within the system? I ask because I like to listen to podcast and another feature I enjoy is listening to them at 1.5x times to speed up the time involved to listen. Is this built in or is there an app that will allow something like this?
2. I cannot find it definitively, but is there an FM Radio in the Lumia 928 that is just not turned on at this point? I actually miss FM radio ability from a previous phone I owned.
3. I do group message with family and understand this is currently not done like other OSes. Is it the understanding that this will be addressed in a future update?
4. If I were to outright buy the phone to keep my unlimited data, do I just need to remove the sim from my current Android (rezound) and place it in the Lumia?

Thanks for the replies; I am sure I will have others.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
1. How is podcast support within the system? I ask because I like to listen to podcast and another feature I enjoy is listening to them at 1.5x times to speed up the time involved to listen. Is this built in or is there an app that will allow something like this?

That is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I'm sure others will all chime in about how they do it, but that just seems so silly, haha.

I do not do many pod casts, but in the States they work really well for me (I've heard some features are turned off overseas for whatever reason.)

2. I cannot find it definitively, but is there an FM Radio in the Lumia 928 that is just not turned on at this point? I actually miss FM radio ability from a previous phone I owned.

It is coming with the next update. We had radio on WP7 but lost it for WP8. The only one not getting it was the Lumia 620 because of how it's hardware is set up.

FM Radio to return to Windows Phone 8, Nokia to continue improving their Lumias with new features | Windows Phone Central

3. I do group message with family and understand this is currently not done like other OSes. Is it the understanding that this will be addressed in a future update?

Not sure what you think happens...are you just talking about group texting or IM clients like WhatsApp? Windows Phone actually has a GREAT group messaging feature IF all your friends are also on WP, it's called "Rooms".

EDIT: Didn't know "group texting" is apparently Verizon's blackberry messenger or something, haha.

4. If I were to outright buy the phone to keep my unlimited data, do I just need to remove the sim from my current Android (rezound) and place it in the Lumia?

From what I found the HTC Rezound is a Mini-SIM and the Lumia 928 is a Micro-SIM. You will have to either get a card cutter, download a card cutting template and do it with scissors, or get a new SIM.

Micro-SIM-vs-Mini-Sim.png

Last edited:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
All, I am considering joining the Windows Phone world, but have a few questions coming from an Android environment:

Thanks for the replies; I am sure I will have others.

Podcast support is fine, but not amazing. In saying that, it's only just gotten decent on the iPhone in the last 6 months. There are several third-party apps that each have their own strengths. Cloud Pod is my favorite so far, but I am sure other people feel differently.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought group texting was simply not supported on WP on VZW, but is supported on WP on all other carriers. Isn't that right?

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Group texting is available for other carriers but it's been rumored strongly, but not confirmed, to be added by Verizon with the gdr2 update

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro