WP8 Newbies Q&A

nooaah

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Figured I'd start a thread for this since a lot of us may be switching over from other OS's.

Here goes my first: I can't type anything in website forms in IE or UC Browser. e.g. I can't post on this forum. The keyboard comes up then immediately goes down again. Any solutions?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That shouldn't be happening. Any and all forums work for me. I suggest you try resetting the phone and have it replaced if the problem persists.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got this device and im impressed and overwhelmed. Im at work and cant get it setup like I want. One thing I will miss now that I think about it is google talk. Oh well though.

wpbrian

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got this device too. What are some must have Nokia or Windows 8 apps that I wouldn't have previously had access to with a Samsung Focus S (Windows 7.5)? Thanks!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just got this device and im impressed and overwhelmed. Im at work and cant get it setup like I want. One thing I will miss now that I think about it is google talk. Oh well though.
Search results for "google talk" | Windows Phone (United States)

i'm hoping a gtalk solution comes out, I use it a bit with my wife, that and yahoo chat.
See above.

For all who are coming from Android, check out Nokia's Transfer my Data app, and I'm thinking I'd read recently that there was a google app by Microsoft or Nokia (probably Nokia) that you run and it evaluates your apps (on android), and tells you what apps or alternative apps are on Windows Phone. Forgive me, but I tried searching for them in the Play store and came up with nothing. Google must not want me to find them. If you find them, post links for others.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey heres a question how do I get pics to show when certain people call?

This is done automatically. If there is a picture associated with the contact, it will happen. To add a picture to a contact, click on their name in the people hub, tap the pencil, and you should see the box that says add photo at the top. Also, if you link a contact with their facebook account, it will just use their facebook profile picture.

jhnybgood47

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple questions:

1) When I go into the phone the wifi, bluetooth, battery, and signal bar goes away. The only way to get them back is to swipe my finger down and then they only appear for a second. Is there a way to permanently show them at the top?

2) Is there a way to get weather information from any app that still lets me keep my own photo on the lock screen?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple questions:

1) When I go into the phone the wifi, bluetooth, battery, and signal bar goes away. The only way to get them back is to swipe my finger down and then they only appear for a second. Is there a way to permanently show them at the top?

2) Is there a way to get weather information from any app that still lets me keep my own photo on the lock screen?

1. You actually just have to tap at the top, not swipe. That said, there isn't any way to keep it up all the time. I actually prefer this because I used to look at signal strength all the time (as if it mattered every five seconds).

2. Not that I know though I haven't tried them all!

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of other newbie questions for someone potentially switching:

1. Can voice commands work without an internet connection? (ie "Call X")
2. With #1, can you voice dictate without an internet connection?
3. While playing with a demo, I could not find a way to search locally (meaning contents of a note, song, etc). Every time I hit search, it would just take me to bing. Am I missing something obvious?
4. While local music is playing, can WP display lyrics?

Thanks.

merplerps

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Many websites (e.g. wpcentral.com and slashdot.org) will only show in Full Desktop view in the browsers - both IE and UC Browser. I've tried switching the modes from mobile to desktop and back without any change. These would always show in mobile view on my iPhone. For wpcentral, I just grabbed the app, so it's not a concern. I miss having the mobile view on Slashdot though. Anyone know of a setting that I'm missing?

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Many websites (e.g. wpcentral.com and slashdot.org) will only show in Full Desktop view in the browsers - both IE and UC Browser. I've tried switching the modes from mobile to desktop and back without any change. These would always show in mobile view on my iPhone. For wpcentral, I just grabbed the app, so it's not a concern. I miss having the mobile view on Slashdot though. Anyone know of a setting that I'm missing?
Try m.wpcentral.com , Slashdot's mobile site OTOH, appears to be broken badly enough on mobile IE that Slashdot automatically reverts to classic.slashdot.com
I have a couple of other newbie questions for someone potentially switching:

1. Can voice commands work without an internet connection? (ie "Call X")
2. With #1, can you voice dictate without an internet connection?
3. While playing with a demo, I could not find a way to search locally (meaning contents of a note, song, etc). Every time I hit search, it would just take me to bing. Am I missing something obvious?
4. While local music is playing, can WP display lyrics?

Thanks.
1. the Tellme feature does not require internet AFAIK.
2. Voice dictate? like text messages and One notes? yes. I don't think you can type out office documents or post to facebook though, Tellme isn't that advanced, OTOH, Indigo looks pretty interesting.
3. Right now, each app has their own search function, the hardware button only brings up the Bing page.
4. Xbox music, not that I know of. Nokia Music, yes if you subscribe to Nokia Music+

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss