Lumia 928 unlocked...Can you help me figure this out?

Mercutio1

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I know that Verizon usually does their 4G phones unlocked and I see that according to the website the 928 is Global Ready.

My brother is going to be signing up for Verizon using his old Droid Razr but he is going to order the 928 for me so I can get it at a discounted price and use it with my T-mobile account.
and then just reactivate his droid razr on the account.

This is possible right?

Also, if he does something screwy with the phone as in doesn't pay his bill on time or something and I am using the 928 on my T-mobile account do you think it would affect me? Would the phone be locked?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I know that Verizon usually does their 4G phones unlocked and I see that according to the website the 928 is Global Ready.

My brother is going to be signing up for Verizon using his old Droid Razr but he is going to order the 928 for me so I can get it at a discounted price and use it with my T-mobile account.
and then just reactivate his droid razr on the account.

This is possible right?

I'm pretty sure it has T-Mobile's frequencies. Not 100% tho

Also, if he does something screwy with the phone as in doesn't pay his bill on time or something and I am using the 928 on my T-mobile account do you think it would affect me? Would the phone be locked?

No, the droid would be locked.

Totalfixation

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The question has anyone tried it? Problem is I went to the Verizon store and tested the demo yesterday and did not see any settings for APN or MMS. which I prefer to have in order for me to really consider buying it. So has anyone tried a different sim in the phone and gotten data/mms to work?

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The question has anyone tried it? Problem is I went to the Verizon store and tested the demo yesterday and did not see any settings for APN or MMS. which I prefer to have in order for me to really consider buying it. So has anyone tried a different sim in the phone and gotten data/mms to work?

You could try downloading Access Point on Verizon's display model. That's Nokia's app for changing apn settings and such.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It should work, however, you may have some problems getting everything to work. I put an AT&T sim card in my 928 last night, and even the access point app wouldn't get the APN settings to stick. Text messages appeared to work fine (when you put it in, under Settings>Messages you get a "SMS Call Center" number that allows texts to work), but I haven't gotten MMS working properly. I think there is a a lot of info on getting MMS to work on the 8x/822 if you search these forums. Also, I don't think you're going to be able to get internet sharing working

Totalfixation

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Not too concern with the internet sharing but would need MMS working properly. Group messaging not very important but will need it in the future, heard it's coming out soon so I can wait.

When you said getting the APN to stick you describe briefly what issue you had?

dta4316

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It should work, however, you may have some problems getting everything to work. I put an AT&T sim card in my 928 last night, and even the access point app wouldn't get the APN settings to stick. Text messages appeared to work fine (when you put it in, under Settings>Messages you get a "SMS Call Center" number that allows texts to work), but I haven't gotten MMS working properly. I think there is a a lot of info on getting MMS to work on the 8x/822 if you search these forums. Also, I don't think you're going to be able to get internet sharing working

Hi AR2186, Is the internet working for you when u use AT&T sim card in the Nokia Lumia 928? Thanks.
I went to Verizon store and they told me that they don't sell unlocked phone, but I saw some post that Verizon phone is all unlocked, this is confusing..

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It is fully unlocked however Apn vpn and mms settings are not available and therefore some functions such as high speed data, picture messaging or even browsing the web may not work properly. I wouldn't recommend it. Droid razr is unlocked as well so you can test drive it with Droid razr first

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was using a prepaid card without internet (I have VZW unlimited, didn't feel like paying for internet on my other phone). Let me look at the data plans to see if i can find one that makes it reasonable to experiment with

dta4316

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, $30 a month with unlimited data. Since I almost never call and only using internet data, there is no reason to sign those 2 years contract. So I just want to make sure I can call, sending sms, and browsing web.

Thanks all for help. :)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm using T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, $30 a month with unlimited data. Since I almost never call and only using internet data, there is no reason to sign those 2 years contract. So I just want to make sure I can call, sending sms, and browsing web.

Thanks all for help. :)

I can't seem to find any cheap (~$30) prepaid plans on AT&T or T-Mobile, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to try it out.

dta4316

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to find any cheap (~$30) prepaid plans on AT&T or T-Mobile, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to try it out.

I guess we need to purchase a sim card from T-Mobile then only we can activate it and choose the plan, it's too much effort. Anyway thanks for your help.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Am happy to try to do it due to my own curiosity, I'm just not $50 curious. If there is a more reasonable plan with data I'd happily check it out

Diego Acosta

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. Phone and sms seems to be working fine, but I'm getting dns issues when browsing even seeing 3G and full bars. Access Point app doesn't seems to activate a custom apn. It sticks to inactive always. Any idea or workaround for this?. Is it possible to flash the phone to bypass this limitation?

dta4316

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I just chat with Verizon representative. Asking if the Lumia 928 can be unlocked. Here is the chat:

Me: Hi, I bought Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon without a plan, and I would like to know how can I unlock it?
VZW: Do you have an account with us now?
Me: no..
Me: but i'm planning to get the prepaid plan
VZW: What do you mean unlock the phone?
Me: I can only use that phone using the Verizon sim card right?
Me: cause the device is exclusive to Verizon..
VZW: correct
Me: So I wonder if I can use other carrier sim card with it..
Me: cause I will need it when I go to Malaysia or Singapore later
Me: which I will use local sim card in those country
VZW: We do not support unlocking phones/
Me: means the phone is useless for me?
Me: if I don't have a Verizon sim card..
VZW: Unless you are on a VZW account. Prepaid or contract
Me: even if I have a VZW account, I still can't unlock it?
VZW: What type of phone is it?
Me: Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 928
Me: just released last week.
VZW: It can be unlocked but we do not support that.
Me: then who support it?
VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.
Me: ok then....
Me: thanks.
Me: Bye.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just chat with Verizon representative. Asking if the Lumia 928 can be unlocked. Here is the chat:

Me: Hi, I bought Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon without a plan, and I would like to know how can I unlock it?
VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.

Well this is very puzzling. How does another carrier unlock a carrier-locked phone? That's like someone asking for the key to my house and I reply that I won't give them a key, but they can feel free to get one from my neighbor... Am I missing something here?

dta4316

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they know anything about it or just don't bother to answer me "correctly" since I'm not their customer...Their answer is funny to me...........

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

They used to have a $3.00 a day unlimited talk, text and some 4 or 3g data included. I believe $10 is the least amount you can upload on the SIM through the T-Mobile store. You can try that out if they still offer it.

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

HA HA HA HA HA WAIT WHATTTTTTT?!?!?!?!!? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!! Maybe I'll see you in Singapore/Malaysia later... I'll be based in Singapore in the Fall until the end of the year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786