05-18-2013 04:32 PM
100 1234
tools
    Well if you think that 928 has a bad camera then you need to try HTC 8S, it's the king of the worst cameras.
    05-17-2013 03:30 PM
    It might be a standard for Nokia...but it is a low standard for a current cell phone....I so wanted to like this...I have tried every which way to get a good daylight / normal light shot it just is not happening....with other current cell phones in daylight / normal light you do not have to "try" for a good picture...no adjustments....no being extra steady with the phone, good, clean pictures just happen......I never thought the camera would be the reason for me returning the phone...
    What's OP talking about, expects great pictures with no adjustments, no settings, etc...Thats what photography is! Go grab a DSLR and shoot on just Auto, you'll be underwhelmed as well. For being so well versed in photography you kinda missed the basics here.
    05-17-2013 03:31 PM
    What's OP talking about, expects great pictures with no adjustments, no settings, etc...Thats what photography is! Go grab a DSLR and shoot on just Auto, you'll be underwhelmed as well. For being so well versed in photography you kinda missed the basics here.
    While I agree, I must admit the iPhone is really good at taking consistently good photos.
    icstars989 likes this.
    05-17-2013 03:34 PM
    In the OP he states that he is a cell phone camera geek so I am surprised that he hasn't tried playing around with all of the settings yet. Meanwhile others who own the phone are posting some nice pics, even on auto mode.

Either he got a bad unit or something is wrong with his settings, technique etc.
    05-17-2013 03:34 PM

:O. God that is sexy photos
    05-17-2013 03:44 PM
    Works great for me...love the camera...
    I will say that the pictures looked even better _after_ I took the protective plastic sticker off...
    It's funny - I inherited an iphone4 some time ago and someone had put a screen protector on the back. It took TERRIBLE photos until I realized that the screen protector was over the lens. I felt like an ***** after I realized.
    05-17-2013 03:48 PM
    There is "photography" and there is the need for a quick picture with kids or a spontaneous moment. Those are the times when you do not want a multitude of setting adjustments just to get a decent picture...you just want the phone to be able do that....most smart phones do this well...928 not so much....the good pictures have to be coaxed and coddled out of it. At least that is what I have observed so far.
    05-17-2013 03:54 PM
    Actually, most dSLRs take great pictures on auto.
    05-17-2013 03:59 PM
    Actually, most dSLRs take great pictures on auto.
    Most cell phones also ..at least with the right lighting...
    05-17-2013 04:02 PM
    Given this argument, I went out with my Trophy and my 928. This post will likely be ginormous, which I apologize for, just trying to show all the detail. I'll edit if it's ridiculous.
    First the Trophy, default settings, not saving at full quality.
    Then, a Cinemagraph from the 928. I was playing around.

The two attachments are from the 928 as well. The first, ending in "19," was default settings. The second, ending in "25," is me playing around a bit to get a better shot of the details, though I do not know what settings it was, sadly.

The Trophy looks a bit better on screen, but zoomed in it has purple edges everywhere. The 928 got to the details much, much better.
    But they're all awful, ugly shots I took. The sky was about to open up, so I rushed, yet still got drenched.

trophy.jpg
    wp_20130517_19_34_30_cinemagraph.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20130517_019.jpg   wp_20130517_025.jpg  
    Muessig likes this.
    05-17-2013 04:18 PM
    I'm FAR from a WP/Nokia fanboy. This is my first Nokia and my first Windows phone. That said, I went for this phone for two reasons:

1. Superior low light performance
    2. Superior audio and video recording (I go to a lot of concerts).

That said, for stills the camera on the 928 is AT LEAST as good as my GS3 in regular light, and blows it away in anything less than perfect light....and that's on full auto. I can't wait to see my results once I start tweaking.
    Muessig and berty6294 like this.
    05-17-2013 04:58 PM
    I'm pretty impressed not only with how good the camera is, but all the software that Nokia has with it! Some of these apps and lenses are the coolest thing I've ever played with!
    05-17-2013 05:07 PM
    The few pictures I've taken with my 928 have been fantastic.
    05-17-2013 05:31 PM
    Given this argument, I went out with my Trophy and my 928. This post will likely be ginormous, which I apologize for, just trying to show all the detail. I'll edit if it's ridiculous.
    First the Trophy, default settings, not saving at full quality.
    Then, a Cinemagraph from the 928. I was playing around.

The two attachments are from the 928 as well. The first, ending in "19," was default settings. The second, ending in "25," is me playing around a bit to get a better shot of the details, though I do not know what settings it was, sadly.

The Trophy looks a bit better on screen, but zoomed in it has purple edges everywhere. The 928 got to the details much, much better.
    But they're all awful, ugly shots I took. The sky was about to open up, so I rushed, yet still got drenched.

Your Trophy defaults ti iso100? If you had had it on auto or changed it to a slightly higher ISO the photos would have been better exposed, they are under exposed now and dark. Not sure what the 928 defaulted to as the exif was not in the image for me to read. In overcast conditions you are going to need a higher ISO or flash to get some light on the subject
    05-17-2013 05:36 PM
    Your Trophy defaults ti iso100? If you had had it on auto or changed it to a slightly higher ISO the photos would have been better exposed, they are under exposed now and dark. Not sure what the 928 defaulted to as the exif was not in the image for me to read. In overcast conditions you are going to need a higher ISO or flash to get some light on the subject
    The Trophy doesn't even have manual iso settings.

The file ending in 25 was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/640
    The default was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/600

Attached is one that was iso 800, f/2.0, ss 1/5000

Like I said, I didn't play around much due to the weather. But it gives you an idea of the default shot, which is probably what the vast majority of phone buyers solely care about (I'd wager less than 10% of buyers are knowledgeable - I'm sure not.)wp_20130517_026.jpg
    05-17-2013 05:49 PM
    My experience in general is you get a better picture if you tap the screen to capture instead of using the camera button. The more still you hold the phone the better.
    05-17-2013 06:00 PM
    The Trophy doesn't even have manual iso settings.

The file ending in 25 was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/640
    The default was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/600

Attached is one that was iso 800, f/2.0, ss 1/5000

Like I said, I didn't play around much due to the weather. But it gives you an idea of the default shot, which is probably what the vast majority of phone buyers solely care about (I'd wager less than 10% of buyers are knowledgeable - I'm sure not.)
    yes you are right..the average consumer should be able to point and shoot and get a decent result. In your instance an overcast day with a dark object that is backlit might cause most meters on cameras to do exactly what it did on your shot, and I am not sure the flashes on these little things are powerful enough to help out in that situation.
    05-17-2013 06:57 PM
    My experience in general is you get a better picture if you tap the screen to capture instead of using the camera button. The more still you hold the phone the better.
    this is true that is what I do, much less camera shake
    05-17-2013 06:57 PM
    I just got the 928 and I also have an iPhone 5. The 928 takes at least as good as, if not better photos than the iPhone. Low or mixed light is definitely better than the iPhone.
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    stmav likes this.
    05-17-2013 07:09 PM
    This happened on early software on the Lumia 920 with daytime fuzzy images. But was corrected in an update
    05-17-2013 07:15 PM
    I used my new Nokia 928 today using the Nokia Drive program for a drive up in the mountains taking several different roads and it worked great. I used to phone camera to take pictures of river rafters on the Cache LaPoudre river, still and video and they both came out fantastic. I am not a genius with a camera but I know quality when I see it and these pictures were great, thanks to Nokia.
    05-17-2013 07:21 PM
    While I agree, I must admit the iPhone is really good at taking consistently good photos.
    My iPhone sucks at taking pictures. I tried five times to take a picture of my odometer as it hit 200,000 miles (yeah, yeah, I know) and the POS iPhone always blanked out the last few digits. Every time I am forced to use that hunk of crap I get so pissed I want to chuck it against the wall.
    05-17-2013 09:42 PM
    Ok, 3 more shots as a comparison, of a city I fortunately never have to see again soon.

First a "Night Mode" 928.
    Then, me playing with settings a bit.
    Lastly, an iPhone 4 shot, though it was emailed to me and quality was reduced by the phone before sending.wp_20130517_030.jpgwp_20130517_033.jpgiphone.jpg
    05-17-2013 09:58 PM
    Ok, 3 more shots as a comparison, of a city I fortunately never have to see again soon.

First a "Night Mode" 928.
    Then, me playing with settings a bit.
    Lastly, an iPhone 4 shot, though it was emailed to me and quality was reduced by the phone before sending.
    You dont need night mode in 92X series. Try auto, suppress ISO to 100-200. should give you something like the ip4, natural color but better overall.
    BTW, in the earlier statue picture, try back light option with extra expose, should be fine.
    diego15nets likes this.
    05-17-2013 10:14 PM
    plus taking a picture of a distant object with a bright sky directly behind will give most cameras fits
    05-17-2013 11:36 PM
100 1234