Wow!! This camera is.......bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I am a camera cell phone geek stuck on Verizon. I always want to have the best cell phone camera, kind of a hobby. Cell phone is always with we and today's cell phone take good to great pictures. I was sooo excited for this phone with all the camera hype. May 16 could not come fast enough. First the good. Video is amazing second to none. Now the bad...the rest of the camera quality. The photo quality is terrible in standard light and daytime conditions. Anything more than 20 feet is out of focus and a smear. I ONLY use cell phone cameras and know how to take a photo with them. I had a droid the much camera criticized razr hd for a while and could get much better photos with that. I so wanted to love the camera on this. I was excited to try a windows phone. I will try any phone that has a great camera (again stuck on Verizon). But this, unfortunately except for video...is not it. Really disappointed.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am a camera cell phone geek stuck on Verizon. I always want to have the best cell phone camera, kind of a hobby. Cell phone is always with we and today's cell phone take good to great pictures. I was sooo excited for this phone with all the camera hype. May 16 could not come fast enough. First the good. Video is amazing second to none. Now the bad...the rest of the camera quality. The photo quality is terrible in standard light and daytime conditions. Anything more than 20 feet is out of focus and a smear. I ONLY use cell phone cameras and know how to take a photo with them. I had a droid the much camera criticized razr hd for a while and could get much better photos with that. I so wanted to love the camera on this. I was excited to try a windows phone. I will try any phone that has a great camera (again stuck on Verizon). But this, unfortunately except for video...is not it. Really disappointed.
920 is fine, and I presume 928 remains the standard.

Try to get another demo unit, play with the setting and see how it turns out. Seems like you are stuck with portrait mode or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
...the rest of the camera quality. The photo quality is terrible in standard light and daytime conditions. Anything more than 20 feet is out of focus and a smear. I ONLY use cell phone cameras and know how to take a photo with them.

I concur...for now. I took some shots (indoors, ample lighting - natural) this morning but was incredibly disappointed. I think I need some more examples taken varying degrees of light, but initially I thought to myself that my pics from the Trophy were better...this just can not be the case.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok. ammarmalik, there is no need to remind every new comer you got a sour 920 couple months ago.

920 is fine, and I presume 928 remains the standard.

Try to get another demo unit, play with the setting and see how it turns out. Seems like you are stuck with portrait mode or something.

It might be a standard for Nokia...but it is a low standard for a current cell phone....I so wanted to like this...I have tried every which way to get a good daylight / normal light shot it just is not happening....with other current cell phones in daylight / normal light you do not have to "try" for a good picture...no adjustments....no being extra steady with the phone, good, clean pictures just happen......I never thought the camera would be the reason for me returning the phone...

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the same thing. I'm actually disappointed with the performance in normal light. The white balance/color correction is all over the place. Now the nighttime performance is out of this world.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I concur...for now. I took some shots (indoors, ample lighting - natural) this morning but was incredibly disappointed. I think I need some more examples taken varying degrees of light, but initially I thought to myself that my pics from the Trophy were better...this just can not be the case.

Thanks...I thought I was losing my mind....daytime / normal lighting really bad...actually looks embarrassing......I am a bit depressed over this....I was so looking forward to an awesome camera on a new platform....

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 928 yet, but I do have an 822, and can tell you that the standard Auto mode of the 822 gives so-so results as well. Get the Proshot camera and use that app, or use it from the lens selection in the main camera app, and you should see a huge difference. There will still be some softening from the camera due to the post-processing that Nokia is using in this version of the software. The Amber update, which will apparently ship with GDR2 (and reportedly coming on shipping 925's) is supposed to fix this.

Try Proshot for now and see if the results you get are acceptable until the Amber update hits.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It might be a standard for Nokia...but it is a low standard for a current cell phone....I so wanted to like this...I have tried every which way to get a good daylight / normal light shot it just is not happening....with other current cell phones in daylight / normal light you do not have to "try" for a good picture...no adjustments....no being extra steady with the phone, good, clean pictures just happen......I never thought the camera would be the reason for me returning the phone...
920 is fine against anything come to the market so far, which is what I mean when I say 928 is fine too if it retain the same standard.

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh and mine were not post processed and single shots btw, perhaps you got abad camera or lens in your phone and should exchange it if they look that bad. Post some so we can see what is going on

Justin429

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I am a camera cell phone geek stuck on Verizon. I always want to have the best cell phone camera, kind of a hobby. .... I was excited to try a windows phone. I will try any phone that has a great camera (again stuck on Verizon). But this, unfortunately except for video...is not it. Really disappointed.

I've found that with my 920 in daylight, often the best camera performance is found when I switch the setting to 'Backlight' from 'Auto.' I'll post an example in a few minutes.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The problem here is sometimes you don't want to mess around with the settings - you just want to grab your phone, take a decent picture, and move on.

Proshot integrates as a lens. You can quickly get to it from the main camera app by simply tapping the lens button. The Auto mode in Proshot does a better job than the Nokia Auto mode in daytime photos. Remember...this is all software controlling the camera and making decisions based on metering. Nokia's daytime "decision making" isn't as good and leads to photos that can, under certain situations, be underwhelming. The actual camera hardware itself is not the issue here. If you haven't tried this app...try it! Open the main camera app and take a picture, under the same lighting, and compare between the two. As I mentioned, the upcoming Amber update is supposed to fix the algorithms used by Nokia.

egret85

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am having quality issues as well. Daytime photos are very soft and have horrible color balance. At night, its good as long there is not a light in the image (street lights, stop lights, etc.). If a light exists, it results in a giant blob of light that takes over half the image, kinda like taking a picture through fog. I have cleaned the lens and still have issues.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i am by no means claiming my outdoor daylight pictures to be outstanding...im not a photographer. I can say that my Nokia 920 takes MUCH BETTER daylight pics than my GS3 did...not even a question. Again, i wouldnt consider myself an expert but i myself consider these very good quality. you are open to rip them apart lol.

WP_20130514_007.jpg

WP_20130514_00320130514211556.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077