Wow!! This camera is.......bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having taken a bunch of photos with my Lumia 920 I'd say it's every bit as good as anything else on the market in broad daylight, especially post update. In dark settings, there's no contest.

There are two problems I've experienced. One is that the there is too much low light compensation going on in scenes that feature partial darkness. The second, more important problem that has arisen since the update, is occasional problems with focus. I get the issue where, for whatever reason, the camera fails to focus properly. When it's acting up, I have to take several photos to get one that's sharp. Usually what happens, however, is that I'm taking multiple photos of the same subject and while most shots are fine one or two manage to end up unfocused.

Given that the 928 uses the same hardware I expect the experience to be similar. Still, in the scheme of things the annoyances are minor. This is one of the first cameras I've ever used where I can just pick it up, snap a photo, and get good results. The third party photo apps are probably good, but I've found their utility to be largely superfluous with this particular phone.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
"The 8.7-megapixel camera on the Lumia 928 is a mixed bag. In good lighting, I find that photos taken with the 928 aren’t as clear as similar photos captured with the iPhone 5, for example. I also find that colors don’t pop quite as much. In low light, the Lumia 928′s PureView camera really shines (pun intended, sadly) and the visibility in resulting photos is better than any other phone I have tested, including the HTC One, which takes great low-light photos."

Quote from BGR review...they see the same issues I started thread with

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
They said the pictures aren't as clear as photos as the iPhone 5 but didn't say it was bad or terrible.

The pictures posted by lisainsf pretty much show what the camera is capable of.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
"The 8.7-megapixel camera on the Lumia 928 is a mixed bag. In good lighting, I find that photos taken with the 928 aren’t as clear as similar photos captured with the iPhone 5, for example. I also find that colors don’t pop quite as much. In low light, the Lumia 928′s PureView camera really shines (pun intended, sadly) and the visibility in resulting photos is better than any other phone I have tested, including the HTC One, which takes great low-light photos."

Be careful; BGR has A LOT of anti-anything Microsoft. I don't go to their site but a news aggregate that I use does pull articles from them. Just a general thought and observation.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Okay. So what are you going to do - take the advice and tips from current users that will help you achieve better results, surf the web to find others who've encountered the same issue as you, exchange it for a refund, exchange it for another Lumia 928 or another device?

At this point, it seems as though there is enough information in this thread for you to move to the next course of action.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It seems like the issue is with shots taken in Auto mode. I understand why people would be disappointed that Auto mode isn't as good in daylight as it should be, but as with an SLR or advanced compact camera, shooting in Auto takes the lighting and metering choices out of the hands of the photographer, and leaves it to the camera. Most Auto shots are not going to be as good as the same shot taken with the photographer controlling more of the camera's operations. Even with an SLR, shots taken in auto mode can look really bad.

I have yet to pick up the 928, but I am planning on picking it up this weekend. Hopefully, shooting in non-Auto mode will work around any weaknesses in daytime auto shooting. And hopefully, Nokia can put out an update to make the Auto mode better in daylight shooting.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Going to give it a week....use all the excellent suggestions given in this thread...and hopefully next week start a new post..."Wow I am an ***** this phone is....Great!!"...I do hope to do that!

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pureview 808 - i can tell you that auto photos are NO WHERE near the same as when i go into creative mode.
A world of difference...
Now for average joe - they will shoot with Auto - and will expect good photos - and when they post to Instagram or facebook - they'll be happy.
Its people like us that demand more of the camera, but to be honest, i think we need to educate ourselves a little and then we will get more out of the camera too.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pureview 808 - i can tell you that auto photos are NO WHERE near the same as when i go into creative mode.
A world of difference...
Now for average joe - they will shoot with Auto - and will expect good photos - and when they post to Instagram or facebook - they'll be happy.
Its people like us that demand more of the camera, but to be honest, i think we need to educate ourselves a little and then we will get more out of the camera too.

I think this is a good point!

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
It might be a standard for Nokia...but it is a low standard for a current cell phone....I so wanted to like this...I have tried every which way to get a good daylight / normal light shot it just is not happening....with other current cell phones in daylight / normal light you do not have to "try" for a good picture...no adjustments....no being extra steady with the phone, good, clean pictures just happen......I never thought the camera would be the reason for me returning the phone...

What's OP talking about, expects great pictures with no adjustments, no settings, etc...Thats what photography is! Go grab a DSLR and shoot on just Auto, you'll be underwhelmed as well. For being so well versed in photography you kinda missed the basics here.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What's OP talking about, expects great pictures with no adjustments, no settings, etc...Thats what photography is! Go grab a DSLR and shoot on just Auto, you'll be underwhelmed as well. For being so well versed in photography you kinda missed the basics here.

While I agree, I must admit the iPhone is really good at taking consistently good photos.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
In the OP he states that he is a cell phone camera geek so I am surprised that he hasn't tried playing around with all of the settings yet. Meanwhile others who own the phone are posting some nice pics, even on auto mode.

Either he got a bad unit or something is wrong with his settings, technique etc.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Works great for me...love the camera...
I will say that the pictures looked even better _after_ I took the protective plastic sticker off...

It's funny - I inherited an iphone4 some time ago and someone had put a screen protector on the back. It took TERRIBLE photos until I realized that the screen protector was over the lens. I felt like an ***** after I realized.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

There is "photography" and there is the need for a quick picture with kids or a spontaneous moment. Those are the times when you do not want a multitude of setting adjustments just to get a decent picture...you just want the phone to be able do that....most smart phones do this well...928 not so much....the good pictures have to be coaxed and coddled out of it. At least that is what I have observed so far.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Actually, most dSLRs take great pictures on auto.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Given this argument, I went out with my Trophy and my 928. This post will likely be ginormous, which I apologize for, just trying to show all the detail. I'll edit if it's ridiculous.
First the Trophy, default settings, not saving at full quality.
Then, a Cinemagraph from the 928. I was playing around.

The two attachments are from the 928 as well. The first, ending in "19," was default settings. The second, ending in "25," is me playing around a bit to get a better shot of the details, though I do not know what settings it was, sadly.

The Trophy looks a bit better on screen, but zoomed in it has purple edges everywhere. The 928 got to the details much, much better.
But they're all awful, ugly shots I took. The sky was about to open up, so I rushed, yet still got drenched.

trophy.jpg
WP_20130517_19_34_30_Cinemagraph.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130517_019.jpg
    WP_20130517_019.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_20130517_025.jpg
    WP_20130517_025.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online