Man, the Nokia 928 is one physically ugly phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I went to one of the nearby Verizon Wireless corporate stores on my way home from work last night to check out the Lumia 928. When I looked at it, my first thought was "wow, this is one ugly-looking phone"! I'm sure some people feel differently, but the squarish design with fairly sharp corners just doesn't do it for me. The lack of some sort of accent color or lining, like the silver accent line around the outer edge of the HTC Trophy, doesn't help matters either.

Frankly, IMO someone needs to go to Finland and sit down and talk with the guys from Nokia. Pretty much ALL of the Nokia Windows Phones I've seen - the Lumia 900 and 920, the Lumia 822, and now the Lumia 928 - are physically unattractive to my eyes. When you're trying to recapture market share, it helps to build aesthetically-attractive devices. I think Nokia is falling short on that part.

I'll still probably buy a Nokia Lumia 928 in a couple months, but that purchase would be much more of a no-brainer if the Lumia 928 had a look more similar to (or more accurately, as attractive as) say the HTC Windows Phone 8X.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I also stopped by my local Verizon store and the 928 is easily the BEST looking phone in the store. The only phone that was close was the sleek razr maxx HD. The 928 not only looks better than the 8x but to me feels much better in my hand. I guess taste is subjective. The thing I hate most about my trophy is the cheap looking silver trim!

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am of the opposite opinion. I can't stand the looks, or the feel, of the 8X.

Guess it is a good thing they make different phones for different folks.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I also stopped by my local Verizon store and the 928 is easily the BEST looking phone in the store. The only phone that was close was the sleek razr maxx HD. The 928 not only looks better than the 8x but to me feels much better in my hand. I guess taste is subjective. The thing I hate most about my trophy is the cheap looking silver trim!

The funny thing is I think the Droid Razr Maxx also looks ugly, though not as ugly as the original Droid Razr. :smile:

I guess I just don't like squarish-looking smartphones.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure that I can take you seriously when you give the edge *in anything* to the Trophy when compared to the 928 (my Trophy was replaced by a 928 yesterday).

scallywag6

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Certainly entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree. I think the 928 is beautiful, and easily the slickest phone in the Verizon store. I'm glad Nokia's style/design differs from yours.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, can't agree at all. Clean lines, nice edge-to-edge glass on front, good combination of curves and angles...all the things that punch this professional artist/designer of 16 years' buttons...hehehe, just playing, but it is a nice looking device. Not the prettiest but pretty well done.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that I can take you seriously when you give the edge *in anything* to the Trophy when compared to the 928 (my Trophy was replaced by a 928 yesterday).

Hey, Dont pick on the Trophy, it's the only phone who gave all Verizon Customers Windows Phone while everyone else had cooler phones. It still was a great phone for it's time and was pretty bullet proof (dropped mine a ton of times, never an issue)

Still, the 928 is worlds better than the Trophy was...

Serious Tone

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I love nice square sharp edged phones. I will agree the 822 was ugly though, why I waited for something else before upgrading. Those super curved edges just look childish to me.

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the 928 yesterday from VZW and to my surprise there was small gathering around the 928/WP display - I had to wait for my turn to check it out!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was pretty nice. It's certainly nicer than the HTC One everyone was gushing over. Now there's an overrated design if I've ever seen one with it's busy and inconsistent design language.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Back in 1991, Chevrolet transformed the long-lived Caprice, giving it curves where it once had lines and angles. I must have been ahead of my time back then, because it was the ugliest car on the road in my book. Give me clean lines! Give me right angles! And then put me in the disagree column on this thread! :wink:

Yeah, my Camry has curves, but it's nothing like that Caprice. It has angles as well. And I love it. I've changed some since '91, but man, I still like me some lines.

And yeah, I have to agree with WhyFiNYC - I can't take seriously anyone who puts Trophy above 928. Yeah, it served us well, but it really was a mediocre phone compared to most others.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a matter of taste. I don't care for the look of the 8x at all. That ended it for me before I even looked at the specs. One man's treasure is another man's trash.

13guppies

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the microphone and larger flash on the backside give it a less-than-sleek look compared to the 920, although I suppose those appeal more to the camera/video crowd. Overall I feel like Nokia did a great job and the phone is still very tasteful.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Back in 1991, Chevrolet transformed the long-lived Caprice, giving it curves where it once had lines and angles. I must have been ahead of my time back then, because it was the ugliest car on the road in my book. Give me clean lines! Give me right angles! And then put me in the disagree column on this thread! :wink:

Yeah, my Camry has curves, but it's nothing like that Caprice. It has angles as well. And I love it. I've changed some since '91, but man, I still like me some lines.

And yeah, I have to agree with WhyFiNYC - I can't take seriously anyone who puts Trophy above 928. Yeah, it served us well, but it really was a mediocre phone compared to most others.
I thought the Chevy Caprice looked like an upside down bathtub on wheels! That thing was ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb