Man, the Nokia 928 is one physically ugly phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 34851

Well, I made some trials. Upper one is fishing picture middle of a night and below is X5 for drive :)

Look into skinery app -thread. There are many problems with this, but for example URL -tiles works perfectly.

Skinery tiles are gross. I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with having a "background" image for all their tiles. It completely ruins the point of the Metro UI design language.

I look at that screenshot and immediately see usability issues and clutter. How is that at all good or "better" than the standard UI?

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well its an option, what can be bad about that?

For example If you use direct links to web pages, you "normally" have them in on row or one group. If you want to change the backround for that group, how does it diminish the UI itself or as you say, ruins it?

Can't understand.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 34851

Well, I made some trials. Upper one is fishing picture middle of a night and below is X5 for drive :)

Look into skinery app -thread. There are many problems with this, but for example URL -tiles works perfectly.

That looks great! I like the design.

If you are feeling for a bit more standard background tile, you can always use Wiztiles. Wiztiles is everyone's favourite customization app here, followed by Skinery.

Here's my current home screen. I changed it back it black background, because the white background exposes a lot of negative spaces, and it looked so atrocious.

wp_ss_20130525_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20130529_0003.jpg

wp_ss_20130529_0004.png

It's not the best, but Wiztiles has some issues and I can't use it efficiently. I'm waiting for their next update because these issues are going to be addressed.
You should see WavingRed's homescreen, it's amazing.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Skinery tiles are gross. I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with having a "background" image for all their tiles. It completely ruins the point of the Metro UI design language.

I look at that screenshot and immediately see usability issues and clutter. How is that at all good or "better" than the standard UI?

I think that it has potential, but I think that the odds of someone tastefully taking advantage of it, without going overboard and creating more clutter, are pretty, preeeetty, pretty slim.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think that it has potential, but I think that the odds of someone tastefully taking advantage of it, without going overboard and creating more clutter, are pretty, preeeetty, pretty slim.

That's exactly the point. Limiting control the users have can actually be a good thing. One of my coworkers has an S3 with a busy background image. It is literally damn near impossible to decipher what the app icons or text are.

The .001% chance that someone will modify it tastefully does not warrant the option to allow for it.

IMO, if you want to make your phone ugly till your hearts content, stick with Android ;)

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Sighs, narrow minded people are the reason why we have 3.0% market share.

But never change, never change... Keep being narrow minded, we clearly don't want 3.1% market share.
849cfcb6.gif

I'm just happy that the 928 is finally getting some recognition. The more features, the better.
075ee6d1.gif
Am I the only one who thinks the 928 looks like a tasty chocolate bar from behind? It looks so tasty..

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Sighs, narrow minded people are the reason why we have 3.0% market share.

But never change, never change... Keep being narrow minded, we clearly don't want 3.1% market share. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/849cfcb6.gif

I'm just happy that the 928 is finally getting some recognition. The more features, the better. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/075ee6d1.gif Am I the only one who thinks the 928 looks like a tasty chocolate bar from behind? It looks so tasty..

No, I was hungry earlier today and took it out of the refrigerator thinking it was a chocolate bar.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
You mean it's not because of being late to the game, poor marketing, indifferent vendors, etc, etc?
You're right about all that. All mismanagement coming along that really held us back. But the real reason why we're not doing well is because of the negative stigma surrounding, from software, to features, to apps.

Incorrect.

1. How do you explain Itsdagram having 12,000 downloads in one night. Obviously more features is the better.
f58a8b71.gif
. 90% Android phone users use Android phones because of the openness of their OS, the freedom to customize, the freedom to choose whatever they want, they're not going to switch to WP8 just so they can resize tiles. iPhone users use iPhones because of their apps, they're not switching to WP8 just so they could whine about the lack of apps.
2. 99% of the user base including me is whining and complaining about basic features that are missing, like individual tones for different profiles.
3. 99% of the user base is disappointed because of the lack of notification feature. Live tiles? They don't even work 50% of the time, and even if they do, the notifications are late.
4. No important games, of course hard core gamers will stick to their free games in Android - they have to deal with so much lag. Imagine all the hardcore games in WP8? No.. the WP8 fluidity is smooth is a myth. How could you play games in WP8 if so many games are unplayable because of bad coding? Let alone not available in the market? You call it smooth when the live tiles are updating poorly? Nope.
5. We have to go deep deep deep down into setting just to change screen brightness, but for what? 3 levels of brightness? Enough said.
6. More, those are just on top of my head. There are MORE FEATURES that are way more important that are missing in WP8, and no one is switching to us because we lack them.

Now, if you have anything to say or argue to this, they you're clearly trolling or just don't have anything else to do. You know what, here: What WP needs to succeed. Nope marketing is not in the minds of most users. #1 Feature is Notification hub.

It just annoys, ANNOYS me so much when people say they want to keep Windows Phone 8 in its "minimalistic UI", or that more features will ruin "minimalistic UI". That's like saying we don't want to progress as an OS. This whole narrow-mindedness and pretentiousness is really annoying. No I'm not switching to Android because I want Windows Phone. But the truth is, Windows Phone is not going anywhere without these basic features. I love Windows Phone, and I want us to succeed but we NEED MORE FEATURES, WE DON"T WANT DULL LIFELESS TILES, WE WANT MORE APPS, WE WANT MORE. Don't you get it? I didn't pay A TON of money for this flagship phone. I want a REAL smartphone packing with a lot of features. And no, I'm not switching to iPhone or Android.

/RANT and /STEAMING OFF ANNOYED MODE

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Obviously more features is the better.

That's only an obvious conclusion if you can't harness rational thought for the 60 seconds that it takes to realize that more is not always better. A "feature" for one person is a detriment to another. Do you think that the battery life afforded by a 6000 mah battery would be a great feature? Absolutely! Unfortunately, it would also turn any phone in to a brick. NOTHING can be everything to everyone - it's about balance, not "more is better."

90% Android phone users use Android phones because of the openness of their OS, the freedom to customize, the freedom to choose whatever they want,

You're out of touch with reality if you think that 90% of the people that own an android phone do anything more than download apps and make some minor cosmetic changes. What you see on message boards and tech sites does not reflect the average user.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't get how a nearly perfect rectangle doesn't look good to you. Do the design of books bother you?

It's almost like the signature look for Windows Phone to me where you'll recognize it when you see it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
1. How do you explain Itsdagram having 12,000 downloads in one night. Obviously more features is the better. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/f58a8b71.gif. 90% Android phone users use Android phones because of the openness of their OS, the freedom to customize, the freedom to choose whatever they want, they're not going to switch to WP8 just so they can resize tiles. iPhone users use iPhones because of their apps, they're not switching to WP8 just so they could whine about the lack of apps.

Where are you getting this 90% of Android users number? I think if you asked most people outside of XDA, Android Central and any other Android they probably don't even change their background.

2. 99% of the user base including me is whining and complaining about basic features that are missing, like individual tones for different profiles.

Funny I don't see 99% of the user base complaining or whining about much aside from a select few. Stop making up random numbers to prove your point.

3. 99% of the user base is disappointed because of the lack of notification feature. Live tiles? They don't even work 50% of the time, and even if they do, the notifications are late.

Again with this 99% number. Not everyone is obsessed with a notification centre.

4. No important games, of course hard core gamers will stick to their free games in Android - they have to deal with so much lag. Imagine all the hardcore games in WP8? No.. the WP8 fluidity is smooth is a myth. How could you play games in WP8 if so many games are unplayable because of bad coding? Let alone not available in the market? You call it smooth when the live tiles are updating poorly? Nope.

If you haven't noticed the good games are strarting to roll in now. Considering when the SDK for WP8 was released it was bound to take a while considering the fact that games are probably the hardest thing to code for. Calling WP8's smoothness a "myth" and then championing Android is a reach. Funny how Android phones rely on so many cores and RAM to churn out games yet they still tend to have frame rate issues at times. Which platform is known for bad coding and laggy performance again?

5. We have to go deep deep deep down into setting just to change screen brightness, but for what? 3 levels of brightness? Enough said.

Yes because screen brightness is a setting that should be right on the start screen...

6. More, those are just on top of my head. There are MORE FEATURES that are way more important that are missing in WP8, and no one is switching to us because we lack them.

No one is saying that WP8 is missing features but a lot of what you said are overreactions and hyperbole

Now, if you have anything to say or argue to this, they you're clearly trolling or just don't have anything else to do. You know what, here: What WP needs to succeed. Nope marketing is not in the minds of most users. #1 Feature is Notification hub.

Great way to make sure no one counters such a baseless post: call anyone who responds a troll.

It just annoys, ANNOYS me so much when people say they want to keep Windows Phone 8 in its "minimalistic UI", or that more features will ruin "minimalistic UI". That's like saying we don't want to progress as an OS. This whole narrow-mindedness and pretentiousness is really annoying. No I'm not switching to Android because I want Windows Phone. But the truth is, Windows Phone is not going anywhere without these basic features. I love Windows Phone, and I want us to succeed but we NEED MORE FEATURES, WE DON"T WANT DULL LIFELESS TILES, WE WANT MORE APPS, WE WANT MORE. Don't you get it? I didn't pay A TON of money for this flagship phone. I want a REAL smartphone packing with a lot of features. And no, I'm not switching to iPhone or Android.

What annoys me are people who impose their own preferences onto others. Sure you might find tiles to be "dull" and "lifeless" but not all of us feel that way. A screen with a grid of icons looks pretty damn boring to me but I'm not going to go on Android Central and start moaning about how Android needs live tiles. Some of us do like the look of live tiles, and the efficiency in which I can check things just with a quick glance of my start screen.

Anyway I think you have your wires crossed a bit. You are going on against the minimalistic UI but also want more features. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. More apps and features can be added without going away from the look of live tiles and such. Apps are starting to roll in but the availability of more apps rest on the shoulders of developers.

You keep saying you won't go to iPhone or Android but then why would you pay a lot of money for a phone knowing it lacks features that you want? Kind of silly to aggravate yourself to such a degree.

john_blaze

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it matters whether the OP was trolling or not, because there are going to be people who genuinely dislike the 928 for whatever reason. So, my original post (#46) was not just in reply to the OP, but also to those who happen to agree with the OP.

As far as the OS being more customizable, I'm all for it. I don't think there's anything wrong with having more options. The great thing about options are that you can choose to ignore them.

I don't know about Skinery and Wiztiles tho, mainly because the apps that support them seem to be fairly limited, and I don't like the idea of unnecessarily pinning stuff to my Start Screen just to get a certain look.

I would prefer it if Microsoft allowed the users to add a background image (possibly coming with Blue update), along with an opacity/transparency slider so the image could show through the tiles. Also it would be nice if they gave us a color rectangle (not sure of the term; black on one side, white on the other, and the various colors and shades that come in between) to choose tile colors from instead of limiting us to however many colors it's at right now.

I love the OS, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical and should ignore it's deficiencies.

abel920, might be wrong in the statistics he cited, but I don't think he's wrong in his general sentiment. That being the OS is not gonna get the adoption it needs and wants, until it starts addressing some of it's deficiencies, like not having a notification center. Some people seem to be defending the lack of a need for one, while I'm indifferent on the issue, I don't see why it shouldn't exist. And depending on how it's implemented, I might or might not use it, but at least I would have that option.

Let's say if 5% of the total smartphone user base were otherwise willing to switch to Windows Phone except for the lack of a notification center, wouldn't it be better to have one. Now let's say the same were true about being able to customize the Start Screen, now that would be 10% (hypothetical) of the total user base unwilling to switch for one reason or another.

We don't need to have a hive mentality and call everyone a troll that speaks against it. That's not gonna get us anywhere.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This thread has ran it's course and is no longer contributing anything of value to Mobile Nations or Windows Phone Central. I thank all that contributed. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss