928 vs 822 from an 822 Owner (Not making upgrade)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
As a very happy black 822 owner since launch, I was very excited to hear about the 928 launch this week and just stepped into my local Verizon store to check it out and mess around with it.

Its all personal preference, but the only advantages I felt, for myself were the camera in that it was much faster than the 822. My 822 still is super slow, mostly when taking the first pic... others are a bit more timely. The pic quality was a little better on the 928 of course, Im sure low-light it blows the 822 out of the water.

Outside of that, the 928 was too big and square for me. After holding the phone (as if in a phone call) the square edges were already uncomfortable in my palm after only 20 seconds. For my smaller hands the 822 is a much more comfortable phone to hold, especially with the curvier design.

The screens seemed on par with the AMOLED, in fact I almost preferred the contrast brightness on the 822 over the 928. The 928 was of course crisper on text with higher resolution.

Overall, the 928 is a nice phone, but to me, the upgraded camera (Ill just carry a point and shoot with me if I even think I need low-light) and larger screen weren't that much of an upgrade to sell my 822 and jump on the 928. Ill wait until the next gen (aka EOS) to make any upgrades.

With my 64GB of SD Card Memory plus 16GB on board, plus removable battery functionality (which I use) the 822 just seems like a more "flexible" and comfortable all-around performer for Windows Phone options at the moment.

(As a side note, I did check out the ATIV for the first time, and to be honest, if it wasnt for the crappy screen, and lack of cool Nokia Apps, I liked that it was lighter, more compact, the buttons were more responsive and the camera was also faster vs the 822)

Anyways, In general Im happy Verizon got the 928... just means Windows Phone is making in roads and if this sells well, we can expect even more options down the road!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Someone happy with the phone they have, not a thing wrong with that. It would get boring and leave the design boys getting lazy if we all liked the same thing.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm also very happy with my 822. My wife wanted to look at the 928 so went this morning. Boy is that massive or what? Don't get me wrong, it is nice but for most people it just seems too big. She now is down to either the 822 or the Galaxy S3. Hopefully she goes WP or we're looking at divorce real soon! LOL

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I had almost the same exact experience. I found it to be way too big. I also played with the Odyssey for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised with it. Perfect size, I thought the screen actually looked alright, but the fact that it was a Samsung was the biggest turn off. I can't believe people want phones even bigger than the 928. Unless you're 7 feet tall it just doesn't make sense.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I had almost the same exact experience. I found it to be way too big. I also played with the Odyssey for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised with it. Perfect size, I thought the screen actually looked alright, but the fact that it was a Samsung was the biggest turn off. I can't believe people want phones even bigger than the 928. Unless you're 7 feet tall it just doesn't make sense.
Funny you say that. I did played with that one while we were waiting and kinda liked it too. When I put the 928 and the Galaxy face to face, they're exactly the same size. The square corners on the 928 just make it seem bigger.

bwhite757

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Personally I won't ever go back to a screen smaller than the 928's. However I did have the Samsung Note 2 for about a month, and that phone is a monster. I ended up giving my mom the Note 2 for Mothers Day and got the 928. She loves the size of the Note 2 because its easier to read on her older eyes.

The 928 is my 1st Windows phone, and as of now I am very impressed. The form factor is perfect for me, however I am 6' 5" and my hands are proportional to my body. Other than a couple of apps I am going to miss, this phone won me over to the Windows OS, where no other Windows phone on VZW's network could.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
i'm also very happy with my 822. My wife wanted to look at the 928 so went this morning. Boy is that massive or what? Don't get me wrong, it is nice but for most people it just seems too big. She now is down to either the 822 or the galaxy s3. Hopefully she goes wp or we're looking at divorce real soon! Lol

!! Lol =)

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
funny I am the exact opposite. I found that the shape and thickness of the 822 made the damn thing slip out of my hand all the time, the 928 is easier to grasp and hold onto..and I have small hands..I guess that is why there are so many shapes, sizes and weights of phones with similar specs really

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
My SO has the 822 and its a great phone but I and many others have problems with the SD card after its got a lot of stuff on it - duplicate pics,Xbox music failing to load all the mp3s, slowness in browsing music when SD card inserted, occasional video stuttering when saving to SD card - and this is with a UHS1 SanDisk 64gb. Tried 2 other SD cards and same result. So until SD bugs are fixed I consider the 822 a max 16gb phone.

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
My SO has the 822 and its a great phone but I and many others have problems with the SD card after its got a lot of stuff on it - duplicate pics,Xbox music failing to load all the mp3s, slowness in browsing music when SD card inserted, occasional video stuttering when saving to SD card - and this is with a UHS1 SanDisk 64gb. Tried 2 other SD cards and same result. So until SD bugs are fixed I consider the 822 a max 16gb phone.

This scenario is not the norm... I have had a 64GB Sandisk Class 10 in my phone since I got it and have had zero issues. No lag stuttering during videos.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When I saw the 928 in person I was surprised that it seemed thinner than I expected. The phone felt great in hand but I am over six feet tall. This is the phone I was waiting for, cant wait till my black 928 gets here on wed.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
This scenario is not the norm... I have had a 64GB Sandisk Class 10 in my phone since I got it and have had zero issues. No lag stuttering during videos.
I wouldnt say that there are several threads on the 822 forum involving a host of problems with all different SD cards...

Pelle Lbergh

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I went from 820 to 920, the 8gb of internal storage just doesn't cut it. If they let us install apps on SD it would be a whole different story.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Sandisk 64GB SD card works great in my 16GB Nokia Lumia 822. The duplicate Xbox Music and syncing problem is a MS WP8 Operating System issue since MS eliminated the great and wonderful Zune Music Player sync. Yes, this issue exists on my phone and is annoying, but it works and I have space left on my 64GB chip. I'm hoping one of the GDRs fix Xbox Music syncing. (Zune sync!)

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you are getting duplicate or missing music or duplicate photos like many are with SD cards on the 822, I would say an SD card doesn't work great with this phone. Not to mention when you have a 64gb SD card full of music the XBOX music app is much slower and more laggy than when using storage onboard or streaming. Clearly the SD support is half baked at this point.

I am not sure if it is a device firmware or app issue, but until it is fixed using a SD card on the 822 is annoying with these problems...

SD card will function "great" when all the bugs and slowdowns etc that currently exist no longer occur.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My experience is that I haven't seen any duplicate photos and haven't lost any music on my Lumia 822. My Xbox Music App doesn't slow or become laggy when playing content stored on the SD chip, nor when streaming. I do experience laggy video when streaming YouTube.

My issues are with Xbox Music showing duplicate songs and not handling play lists well. This issue, from what I've read, is not solely on phones with SD cards. The forums are starting to include this issue showing up on the new Lumia phones and they don't have an SD card, for whatever that is worth? Otherwise, I honestly see no issue with the advantage of having 64GB SD card. Plus 16GB internal.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just purchased the 822 and the only thing I don't like about it is how small it is. I am coming from a Note 2, so it seems tiny. The screen seems bigger than my Galaxy Nexus because the Nexus has onscreen buttons, which make the screen real estate smaller. I like the 928 but the lack of a Micro SD Card slot and removable battery are a deal breaker for me. I will stick with the 822 until they produce something I want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon