The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-20-2014 07:52 AM
222 12345 ...
tools
    I think generally its not a good idea to keep something with a rechargeable battery always plugged in or charging, even though it is Lithium Ion. Ive read its best to completely run the battery down before charging for the first 3 times. Then after that it is best to charge them before they are even close to zero even.
    Keeping it on the charger is ok, it will stop charging once it's full and run off the charger.

On my wireless charger, the charging also stops when it gets full. I am using the Energizer dual.

Fully draining the battery will hurt its longevity no matter when you do it. The benefit of draining the battery is to calibrate the software battery meter so it can read it more accurately. This can lead to better battery life because the phone might not have used the whole battery capacity before the calibration. This is why Apple recommends a drain once a month, enough to calibrate the software but not enough to hurt the battery longevity tremendously.

Source: battery university
    Serious Tone likes this.
    05-20-2013 05:39 PM
    It barely gets me through the day... I am a bit disappointed. I am not even that heavy of a user. If I stream Pandora for an hour it will take up to 25% an hour! The other day I had about half battery life when I started to stream some music, and when I go back to pick up my phone I have the critical battery level warning :/ It's probably just silly LTE.

Also, I think the fact that the OLED screen doesn't use much power for black backgrounds makes up for the fact that the display is humongous. (The display is beautiful by the way!)
    dustindt likes this.
    05-20-2013 09:08 PM
    While I have an 822 at the moment, the internals are pretty much the same and I can tell you that the 822 doesn't suddenly drain a ton when using LTE. I stream Pandora when I drive too and from work and it's on LTE most of the time. The drive is close to 2 hours every day, and I usually use less than 10% of battery and my battery is smaller. Everyone with this problem needs to deep cycle their phone once to recalibrate the battery meter, and make sure you leave your phone on the charger for a while after it says 100%. The phone will trickle charge until the battery stops taking a charge, and meter may say 100% before it is actually there. I've seen this on a number of phones over the years. Let your phone drain down, then let it stay on the charger overnight and then see where your battery life is.

Remember, these meters rely on the voltage of the battery to determine their charge, which can be a bit finicky and takes some level of accuracy when you are dealing with 10ths and hundredths of a volt to make the determination. Recalibration can do wonders.
    05-21-2013 05:03 AM
    2% overnight loss after 7 hours, not bad! :)

wp_20130521.png
    05-21-2013 08:13 AM
    Battery life is fine with me, but wireless charging takes much longer than my 8x did. I thought that was odd.

I do agree standby time is amazing, usage is okay. Good enough to get me by!
    The battery in the 928 is 11% larger than the 8x. It will take longer to charge.
    05-21-2013 09:51 AM
    I'm making no judgements on battery life this early because this is my first WP and I'm playing with it day and night. But my new Dell XPS 10 tablet just came in today so the phone goes back to normal usage now. :) So many new toys all within a couple of weeks of each other.
    05-21-2013 09:55 AM

Was that with everything on overnight? LTE, etc?
    05-21-2013 10:04 AM

Was that with everything on overnight? LTE, etc?
    Yes, LTE on, wifi on and connected, bluetooth on.
    05-21-2013 11:48 AM
    14 days??? WOW! How many full charge cycles have you been through? I noticed on the first couple of days, it read in excess of a day. Now it's down to about 14-17hours.

So far today, I've been off charger for 8+hours and down to 40% charge. (I am on LTE, use the phone almost continuously, and GPS.)
    05-21-2013 01:47 PM
    14 days??? WOW! How many full charge cycles have you been through? I noticed on the first couple of days, it read in excess of a day. Now it's down to about 14-17hours.

So far today, I've been off charger for 8+hours and down to 40% charge. (I am on LTE, use the phone almost continuously, and GPS.)
    I got the phone last Friday, but I don't think I have gone below 50% yet. With actual usage, my battery life seems similar to yours. 40% left after 8 hours of heavy usage sounds really good.
    05-21-2013 02:27 PM
    Battery life is also a function of where you are located in the network. If your signal is weak, your battery drains faster. If you are on a network transition area, your battery life suffers. So, everybody here is speaking the truth, it is just that they are in different locations.
    05-21-2013 08:47 PM
    Well, my phone's been off the charger (after being fully charged) since 5:54 EST, so it's been a little over four hours, and my battery is already down to 64%. For the first two hours, I didn't do much. It was mostly on standby, and drained about 2-3%. So it drained more than 30% in TWO hours. But for the rest of the time, I just listened to music on headphones for about two hours, took a few pics (20 ish), light texting, short phone call, and posted once here via the wpcentral app. I really don't think it should be draining that fast. I have four background tasks: "Amazing Weather HD, Battery, CNN & WPCentral." LTE and wifi both on, Bluetooth off. Also have three email accounts that update hourly. Is there something that I'm missing or that I should be doing?

I just saw HilBillJr's post about battery life being connected to the network, and I have three bars currently, though I did some moving around in the four hours.
    Last edited by baaahthesheep; 05-21-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    05-21-2013 09:09 PM
    Try turning off CNN. When I did that helped my battery a little. Although in not have nearly as bad a time as you are.
    baaahthesheep likes this.
    05-22-2013 04:26 AM
    Try turning off CNN. When I did that helped my battery a little. Although in not have nearly as bad a time as you are.
    Thanks. I uninstalled CNN and reinstalled a new app, Weave. I'll see how it goes in the next few days.
    05-22-2013 10:26 AM
    Thanks. I uninstalled CNN and reinstalled a new app, Weave. I'll see how it goes in the next few days.
    LOL Im trying weave right now also but I only have about 2 programs running in the background. I figure anything I need to get updates on I can just do it at the time I need it. I do have my mail only being pushed to me every hour instead of every half hour.
    05-22-2013 12:23 PM
    LOL Im trying weave right now also but I only have about 2 programs running in the background. I figure anything I need to get updates on I can just do it at the time I need it. I do have my mail only being pushed to me every hour instead of every half hour.
    Correction. You have two apps that use background agents. Big difference between that and "running in the background." On Windows Phone, the only apps that can run in the background constantly are location-aware apps, like Drive+, music streaming apps, like Pandora, and VOIP apps, like Skype - and that last one I'm not sure about, as I haven't looked into it - I could be wrong.

Background agents are allowed to run at intervals determined by the OS, generally roughly about half-hour intervals, but could be longer. They are not allowed to run for more than 15 seconds or the OS will kill them, and IIRC they can't use more than 50 MB of memory. Huge difference between an app that is allowed to run for 15 seconds every half hour and an app that can run rampant in the background. Windows Phone handles "background" FAR differently than Android...
    05-22-2013 12:30 PM
    It's pretty early to tell, but it also depends on what you were used to before. I had a Droid Bionic with extended battery. L928 battery already seems much, much better (it says up to 19 hrs standby, I haven't tested that) and charges a heck of a lot faster. Of course, that's Apatosaurus vs Velociraptor.
    05-22-2013 12:40 PM
    My 8X data sense lists 20 hrs and 30 min with full charge.
    05-22-2013 01:54 PM
    I have been getting about 16 hours of battery life with location services turned off, and bluetooth turned off. I have wifi on when I'm at home or in the office. The iPhone 4 that I traded in would go a lot longer it seemed but then again I don't think I used it as much as what I'm using the Lumia either. Given that, is it better to not do periodic day charges or can you set it on the charger for a bit during the day and it won't affect the battery?
    05-22-2013 02:16 PM
    Have to say that my battery life just shot up over the last day for whatever reason. Didn't even seem like a gradual increase due to more completed charge cycles; it was just normal one day and a lot better the next. I've had this phone since Thursday, so I've probably been through about 6-7 charge cycles so far. I've also been fairly consistent with letting the battery run down to about 15-20% and then charging it back up to 100%.

Here's a screenshot of how it's looking right now: 63% left after 18 hours. Usage has been pretty light since the last charge: took some photos (w/ flash too), browsed the internet, downloaded a few games (NBA Jam!), but that's still very good in my opinion. If it lasts till tomorrow morning, I will be impressed.

wp_ss_20130522_0001.png
    KoukiFC3S and abhirajsoni like this.
    05-22-2013 02:52 PM
    I've got to agree with previous posters, stand by is great, but today I've done a fair amount of browsing the net, and I've burned through 76% of my battery in just under 5hours. Given my usage today, its not the worst battery I've had by any stretch (HTC Thunderbolt), or the best(galaxy s3) , but it is upsetting that if I am away from a charger for more than 7 or 8 hours I better not use my phone much, if at all. The great innovation in cellphone technology has GOT to be battery improvements! For what these phones are capable of, and what we pay for them, its just not acceptable to not be able to get through a day using your phone.
    05-22-2013 04:53 PM
    A little off topic, but thought it was interesting:

Student invents a way to fully charge a phone battery in one minute
    Vallos likes this.
    05-22-2013 05:59 PM
    My battery life is also much better today. 52% left after about 17 hours of light usage.
    I also got mine Thursday, and have charged 6 or 7 times.

1 hr of talk, 3 hrs of Pandora, Bluetooth on for 8 hrs and in use for 3, light web/texting/emails, 20 min video playback, and 10 min or so playing games. Better than my iPhone 4 would do when it was retired.
    05-22-2013 11:26 PM
    Just in case anyone hasn't posted about this in the thread, web browsing will take your battery down.

The 928 has an AMOLED display, which means that you're going to burn through your battery if you display blocks of solid white (or any other particularly light colors, for that matter.) Add to that the refresh rate and you have a recipe for disaster.
    05-22-2013 11:48 PM
    The battery in the 928 is 11% larger than the 8x. It will take longer to charge.
    No, I mean MUCH slower!
    05-23-2013 12:00 AM
222 12345 ...