Battery Life Thread

Serious Tone

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm spoiled but I'm disappointed with this battery just a little. I have my Transformer Prime on WIFI 24/7, streaming siriusXM 4-5 hours a day, surf the web and game and the battery has never ran out on me before I plugged it in before bed. With this phone, I'd probably have to charge it midday if I was doing all that.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had it for two days and when sitting idle, not bad at all. But it seems to chew through battery quickly (14-15% hour) using non gaming apps. I've already tuned it for battery life and I'll give it a few charging cycles before I place my verdict.
Sent from my Nokia 928 using Board Express

How do you "tune" it?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually VERY happy. Of course I was coming from a 2 year old Trophy that I would have to charge after 3 hours.

My question is, and I think it's been discussed before, what's the best way to keep the battery at max life? I have the wireless charger and whenever I'm not using it, I try to keep it on the charger. Is that a good idea? Shouldn't I let it run down fully and then let it charge?

Right now, I'm getting a good 12 hours between charges, but I'm hammering it pretty hard with LTE and GPS and video. I figure once I calm down a bit and use it "normally" it will last longer.

Serious Tone

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think generally its not a good idea to keep something with a rechargeable battery always plugged in or charging, even though it is Lithium Ion. Ive read its best to completely run the battery down before charging for the first 3 times. Then after that it is best to charge them before they are even close to zero even.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Guys, we might want to hold on before jumping to conclusions about battery life. For some reason my battery life has gotten MUCH better since last night. I'm wondering if it needed a few charge cycles. I know on Android that usually was the case.

For example, I didn't even put it on the charger last night and I'm still sitting at 62 and it's been off the charger for 17 hours. Of course about 6 hours of it was sleeping, but before and after that I have used it pretty normally. Some facebook, surfing this forum, texts, emails, etc.

So far I have been really happy with the battery life. Anyone else notice an increase all of a sudden?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually wanted to note that today, my battery life went down significantly. I think it's just a fluke, but I wll be watching it carefully the next few days.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What wizeguy said. Each day my battery life is getting exponentially better and better! (I know this always happens with new devices, but it seems to be much more dramatic with the 928)

I liked my battery life Saturday. Sunday it got even better and today it is quite superb! I'm going to hold off a week or two before I make any battery life claims...

rdavenp3

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Unplugged my phone at 7am this morning. Light usage and ar 4:30 was at 89%. This phone is a champ on standby. I'll be using it more tonight to surf the web and do email. Hopefully the battery is starting to calibrate.
Sent from my Nokia 928 using Board Express

wtf808

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
update:

so after another charge cycle (full drain, then charge to 100%), the phone went for about 36 hours before I had to recharge.. I used it rather decently, but not heavy.. this was pretty amazing, compared to my 8x. I will monitor it over a few more cycles to see if this is the norm.. but I must say, big difference from my late night scare of barely handling 8 hours..

thanks!

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think generally its not a good idea to keep something with a rechargeable battery always plugged in or charging, even though it is Lithium Ion. Ive read its best to completely run the battery down before charging for the first 3 times. Then after that it is best to charge them before they are even close to zero even.

Keeping it on the charger is ok, it will stop charging once it's full and run off the charger.

On my wireless charger, the charging also stops when it gets full. I am using the Energizer dual.

Fully draining the battery will hurt its longevity no matter when you do it. The benefit of draining the battery is to calibrate the software battery meter so it can read it more accurately. This can lead to better battery life because the phone might not have used the whole battery capacity before the calibration. This is why Apple recommends a drain once a month, enough to calibrate the software but not enough to hurt the battery longevity tremendously.

Source: battery university

nadoj

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It barely gets me through the day... I am a bit disappointed. I am not even that heavy of a user. If I stream Pandora for an hour it will take up to 25% an hour! The other day I had about half battery life when I started to stream some music, and when I go back to pick up my phone I have the critical battery level warning :/ It's probably just silly LTE.

Also, I think the fact that the OLED screen doesn't use much power for black backgrounds makes up for the fact that the display is humongous. (The display is beautiful by the way!)

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
While I have an 822 at the moment, the internals are pretty much the same and I can tell you that the 822 doesn't suddenly drain a ton when using LTE. I stream Pandora when I drive too and from work and it's on LTE most of the time. The drive is close to 2 hours every day, and I usually use less than 10% of battery and my battery is smaller. Everyone with this problem needs to deep cycle their phone once to recalibrate the battery meter, and make sure you leave your phone on the charger for a while after it says 100%. The phone will trickle charge until the battery stops taking a charge, and meter may say 100% before it is actually there. I've seen this on a number of phones over the years. Let your phone drain down, then let it stay on the charger overnight and then see where your battery life is.

Remember, these meters rely on the voltage of the battery to determine their charge, which can be a bit finicky and takes some level of accuracy when you are dealing with 10ths and hundredths of a volt to make the determination. Recalibration can do wonders.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is fine with me, but wireless charging takes much longer than my 8x did. I thought that was odd.

I do agree standby time is amazing, usage is okay. Good enough to get me by!

The battery in the 928 is 11% larger than the 8x. It will take longer to charge.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm making no judgements on battery life this early because this is my first WP and I'm playing with it day and night. But my new Dell XPS 10 tablet just came in today so the phone goes back to normal usage now. :) So many new toys all within a couple of weeks of each other.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
14 days??? WOW! How many full charge cycles have you been through? I noticed on the first couple of days, it read in excess of a day. Now it's down to about 14-17hours.

So far today, I've been off charger for 8+hours and down to 40% charge. (I am on LTE, use the phone almost continuously, and GPS.)

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
14 days??? WOW! How many full charge cycles have you been through? I noticed on the first couple of days, it read in excess of a day. Now it's down to about 14-17hours.

So far today, I've been off charger for 8+hours and down to 40% charge. (I am on LTE, use the phone almost continuously, and GPS.)

I got the phone last Friday, but I don't think I have gone below 50% yet. With actual usage, my battery life seems similar to yours. 40% left after 8 hours of heavy usage sounds really good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire