Battery Life Thread

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is also a function of where you are located in the network. If your signal is weak, your battery drains faster. If you are on a network transition area, your battery life suffers. So, everybody here is speaking the truth, it is just that they are in different locations.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, my phone's been off the charger (after being fully charged) since 5:54 EST, so it's been a little over four hours, and my battery is already down to 64%. For the first two hours, I didn't do much. It was mostly on standby, and drained about 2-3%. So it drained more than 30% in TWO hours. But for the rest of the time, I just listened to music on headphones for about two hours, took a few pics (20 ish), light texting, short phone call, and posted once here via the wpcentral app. I really don't think it should be draining that fast. I have four background tasks: "Amazing Weather HD, Battery, CNN & WPCentral." LTE and wifi both on, Bluetooth off. Also have three email accounts that update hourly. Is there something that I'm missing or that I should be doing?

I just saw HilBillJr's post about battery life being connected to the network, and I have three bars currently, though I did some moving around in the four hours.

Last edited:

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I uninstalled CNN and reinstalled a new app, Weave. I'll see how it goes in the next few days.

LOL Im trying weave right now also but I only have about 2 programs running in the background. I figure anything I need to get updates on I can just do it at the time I need it. I do have my mail only being pushed to me every hour instead of every half hour.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL Im trying weave right now also but I only have about 2 programs running in the background. I figure anything I need to get updates on I can just do it at the time I need it. I do have my mail only being pushed to me every hour instead of every half hour.

Correction. You have two apps that use background agents. Big difference between that and "running in the background." On Windows Phone, the only apps that can run in the background constantly are location-aware apps, like Drive+, music streaming apps, like Pandora, and VOIP apps, like Skype - and that last one I'm not sure about, as I haven't looked into it - I could be wrong.

Background agents are allowed to run at intervals determined by the OS, generally roughly about half-hour intervals, but could be longer. They are not allowed to run for more than 15 seconds or the OS will kill them, and IIRC they can't use more than 50 MB of memory. Huge difference between an app that is allowed to run for 15 seconds every half hour and an app that can run rampant in the background. Windows Phone handles "background" FAR differently than Android... :wink:

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty early to tell, but it also depends on what you were used to before. I had a Droid Bionic with extended battery. L928 battery already seems much, much better (it says up to 19 hrs standby, I haven't tested that) and charges a heck of a lot faster. Of course, that's Apatosaurus vs Velociraptor.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been getting about 16 hours of battery life with location services turned off, and bluetooth turned off. I have wifi on when I'm at home or in the office. The iPhone 4 that I traded in would go a lot longer it seemed but then again I don't think I used it as much as what I'm using the Lumia either. Given that, is it better to not do periodic day charges or can you set it on the charger for a bit during the day and it won't affect the battery?

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Have to say that my battery life just shot up over the last day for whatever reason. Didn't even seem like a gradual increase due to more completed charge cycles; it was just normal one day and a lot better the next. I've had this phone since Thursday, so I've probably been through about 6-7 charge cycles so far. I've also been fairly consistent with letting the battery run down to about 15-20% and then charging it back up to 100%.

Here's a screenshot of how it's looking right now: 63% left after 18 hours. Usage has been pretty light since the last charge: took some photos (w/ flash too), browsed the internet, downloaded a few games (NBA Jam!), but that's still very good in my opinion. If it lasts till tomorrow morning, I will be impressed.

wp_ss_20130522_0001.png

Ryano89

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got to agree with previous posters, stand by is great, but today I've done a fair amount of browsing the net, and I've burned through 76% of my battery in just under 5hours. Given my usage today, its not the worst battery I've had by any stretch (HTC Thunderbolt), or the best(galaxy s3) , but it is upsetting that if I am away from a charger for more than 7 or 8 hours I better not use my phone much, if at all. The great innovation in cellphone technology has GOT to be battery improvements! For what these phones are capable of, and what we pay for them, its just not acceptable to not be able to get through a day using your phone.

merplerps

May 17, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is also much better today. 52% left after about 17 hours of light usage.
I also got mine Thursday, and have charged 6 or 7 times.

1 hr of talk, 3 hrs of Pandora, Bluetooth on for 8 hrs and in use for 3, light web/texting/emails, 20 min video playback, and 10 min or so playing games. Better than my iPhone 4 would do when it was retired.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just in case anyone hasn't posted about this in the thread, web browsing will take your battery down.

The 928 has an AMOLED display, which means that you're going to burn through your battery if you display blocks of solid white (or any other particularly light colors, for that matter.) Add to that the refresh rate and you have a recipe for disaster.

bwhite757

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Coming from Android I've been unimpressed with the battery life of this phone. I've gone through about 10 charge cycles with it so far since Thursday and if I can squeeze 10 hours out of it I'm doing good. Granted I got spoiled with the Note 2's awesome battery life, but I am having to remember to throw it on the charger as soon as I get to work (2nd Shifter). I take it off the charger at 8am, back on the charger at 4pm for an hour or two, and then that will get me through the rest of the day 11pm. I have a portable battery charger to take with me for travelling, so it will be ok, but there's no way unless something changes drastically that I'll make it through a whole day. For the record my home and work both have 3-4 bars of LTE, and I'm on WiFi 75% of the day.

Serious Tone

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah will light to medium use I'm finding I get about 10 hours. I don't know why everybody keeps bragging about how long it lasts in standby mode. Isn't the whole idea of a smartphone to use it?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Have to say that my battery life just shot up over the last day for whatever reason. Didn't even seem like a gradual increase due to more completed charge cycles; it was just normal one day and a lot better the next. I've had this phone since Thursday, so I've probably been through about 6-7 charge cycles so far. I've also been fairly consistent with letting the battery run down to about 15-20% and then charging it back up to 100%.

Here's a screenshot of how it's looking right now: 63% left after 18 hours. Usage has been pretty light since the last charge: took some photos (w/ flash too), browsed the internet, downloaded a few games (NBA Jam!), but that's still very good in my opinion. If it lasts till tomorrow morning, I will be impressed.

View attachment 34495

How do you take a screenshot of your phone?

wpbrian

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty damn good. Took it off the charger at 7:00am yesterday morning and forgot to put it back on last night. 7:00am this morning I had about 60% charge left. Not bad after 24 hours (although my use was light to moderate yesterday).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss