Battery Life Thread

cmwys

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
How do you take a screenshot of your phone?

Press the Start and Power/Lock buttons at the same time. Your screen will flash to indicate the screenshot was saved. Images will be saved into a newly created Screenshots folder in your photo albums.

--

I'm hoping my battery life improves. Just got my 4th replacement yesterday, charged it fully and left it overnight. Woke up to about 57% battery this morning. :/

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Something is terribly wrong with some peoples phones in this thread. My battery life has been really good lately and not just on standby. Yes of course it starts to decline at a much faster rate when I'm using it, but nothing that has been different than other phones I've had.

But while on the topic of standby, cmwys, you have something going wrong with your phone. You either have a defective unit or there is an app eating you alive. I've never heard of any phone dropping 43% overnight on standby. My 928 drops not even 1% per hour while I sleep. As a matter of fact, my phone has been off the charger for 5 hours and 12 minutes and I am sitting at 95%. And I've been texting while at work, etc.

I'm really curious to see how this thread progresses because there is such a wild variety of battery life results. All I can say is that I'm quite pleased and have nothing to complain about.

cmwys

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
You're scaring me! lol I don't want to get yet another replacement!!!

From 3am (unplugged from charged) to 10am it drained to 57% (I was rather disgruntled waking up to see that) with Wifi, LTE, Bluetooth, etc all on but no use. From 10am to 5pm it drained to 4% and shut down with no wifi connection (wifi still on though) and light to moderate use.

As of a few hours ago I did turn off many of the background tasks for apps that I don't care to see the live tile update for and right now I've plugged it back in to charge.

My initial experience isn't as extreme as wtf808's was (92% to dead in ~7 hours while sleeping) but sounds similar enough so I'm hoping that with another one or two full charge-drain cycles I'll be seeing the same performance wtf808 has achieved (36 hours without recharging with decent use).

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This and the Bugs/Issues thread has me waiting to buy a 928. I loved it and the Z10 at the VZW store, but I have not made a decision yet. I am using a 9930 and I get 48 hours of usage, including 12-14 hours of streaming audio, all antennae on except WiFi (3G, BT, GPS, NFC), with tons of BBM, SMS/MMS, Email, etc. I am looking to get no less battery life from my next phone. Am I being unrealistic?

~Ex

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Cmyws, having owned this phone for a week now, I can definitely say that my battery life now is quite a bit better than when I first bought it. If battery life is the reason you keep having to get your phone replaced, I would say to stick it out for about 6 days and see if it's better. Just try to make sure that you let the battery drain to about 15% each time, and try to take it off the charger soon after it hits 100% (don't leave it plugged in over night). These precautions are usually most necessary in the first couple of weeks, so it's not something you will have to be AS careful about down the road.

On the other side of things, turning off unnecessary background tasks should obviously help a little. I suspect the problem you're having with battery drain may be more related to LTE however. LTE eats up the most battery when you're not getting the strongest of signals, so you're phone keeps getting disconnected from it and keeps trying to reconnect to it. If I were you, I'd try turning off LTE for a day and see how the battery life is then (not quite sure how to turn off only LTE, but you may be able to figure that out).

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You're scaring me! lol I don't want to get yet another replacement!!!

From 3am (unplugged from charged) to 10am it drained to 57% (I was rather disgruntled waking up to see that) with Wifi, LTE, Bluetooth, etc all on but no use. From 10am to 5pm it drained to 4% and shut down with no wifi connection (wifi still on though) and light to moderate use.

As of a few hours ago I did turn off many of the background tasks for apps that I don't care to see the live tile update for and right now I've plugged it back in to charge.

My initial experience isn't as extreme as wtf808's was (92% to dead in ~7 hours while sleeping) but sounds similar enough so I'm hoping that with another one or two full charge-drain cycles I'll be seeing the same performance wtf808 has achieved (36 hours without recharging with decent use).

Do you have NFC on? Or tap+send as WP8 calls it.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Press the Start and Power/Lock buttons at the same time. Your screen will flash to indicate the screenshot was saved. Images will be saved into a newly created Screenshots folder in your photo albums.

Ok, I must be some sort of moron. When I press the Start (Windows) button and the Power button, all I get is the voice recognition that asks what I would like to do. (It's been one of those days...)

--

I'm hoping my battery life improves. Just got my 4th replacement yesterday, charged it fully and left it overnight. Woke up to about 57% battery this morning. :/

cmwys

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Ha no it's actually a little tough to get the timing right when hitting the two keys at the same time because one is physical so you have to start pressing it an instant before you also tap the start button. Don't hold either button - just a quick press and tap at the same time.

And thanks for the advice Penny_1! I'm gonna stick with this one. I replaced the other 3 not because of battery issues but because of each having a totally different defect lol. 1)malfunctioning start/back/search keys, 2) volume up key didn't work, and 3) vibrate motor sounded like it was going to break inside the phone.

I do have tap+send on but so does the other Lumia 928 I bought at the same time. I'll have to ask him how his battery holds up to see if maybe that is an issue.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ha no it's actually a little tough to get the timing right when hitting the two keys at the same time because one is physical so you have to start pressing it an instant before you also tap the start button. Don't hold either button - just a quick press and tap at the same time.

And thanks for the advice Penny_1! I'm gonna stick with this one. I replaced the other 3 not because of battery issues but because of each having a totally different defect lol. 1)malfunctioning start/back/search keys, 2) volume up key didn't work, and 3) vibrate motor sounded like it was going to break inside the phone.

I do have tap+send on but so does the other Lumia 928 I bought at the same time. I'll have to ask him how his battery holds up to see if maybe that is an issue.

Thanks both of you! That did it! This just made my day!

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
It seems like when I'm just browsing an app (looking through artists, reading the news on an app, nothing really intensive at all) for an extended period of time (meaning anything more than a quick text), the battery starts draining really quickly (~15% an hour). For the past few hours, I've been doing several things, checking to see how the battery would drain. When streaming music paired with a Bluetooth speaker, the discharge speed would vary between 10-12% an hour. If I streamed music & did some browsing, it would rise to 18-24% an hour. I am a new smartphone user so I'm not sure what to expect when it comes to battery life, but I really don't think it should be draining this quickly. I've had the phone for a week now, so I'd think it should be up to speed by now.

How is the discharge rate for everyone else when doing similar tasks?

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It seems like when I'm just browsing an app (looking through artists, reading the news on an app, nothing really intensive at all) for an extended period of time (meaning anything more than a quick text), the battery starts draining really quickly (~15% an hour). For the past few hours, I've been doing several things, checking to see how the battery would drain. When streaming music paired with a Bluetooth speaker, the discharge speed would vary between 10-12% an hour. If I streamed music & did some browsing, it would rise to 18-24% an hour. I am a new smartphone user so I'm not sure what to expect when it comes to battery life, but I really don't think it should be draining this quickly. I've had the phone for a week now, so I'd think it should be up to speed by now.

How is the discharge rate for everyone else when doing similar tasks?

I've had my Lumia 920 for a month and its still improving...although slightly. Every device reacts differently, yours may take longer than someone else's to get it up to what you consider sufficient.

cmwys

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday at around this time I reported 4% battery life. Today I'm at 26% [51% normalized] after a charging cycle last night similar to the day before.

The difference this time was that after I took it off charging I played some games for around 2 hours before bed [thus the normalized value above] which took my battery to 75%. Woke up around 10am to 58% life. So about a 17% drain while sleeping compared to 43% drain the night before. Everything still on (Tap+Send, Wifi (connected), Bluetooth, etc).

In the battery app screenshot below you can see the difference in the rate of discharge is definitely noticeable and improved. You can even see where I played games for 2 hours. :D

Posting a link instead of the actual image due to the size.
http://i.imgur.com/oj1nsab.png

Looks like it's just an issue of calibrating the battery so hopefully this trend continues. I'll report again to offer some numbers for others to be able to compare to.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if using the "light" background uses any more power than the "dark"? I just flipped to that and I LIKE it. Curious how it affects battery life though.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if using the "light" background uses any more power than the "dark"? I just flipped to that and I LIKE it. Curious how it affects battery life though.
If you use the light background on an OLED screen, it will be best if you spend less time on the Start Screen, or any other app that uses white as a background.

If you want to save battery on an OLED screen, display as much black is possible. (Lesson learned from various other Nokia phones)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wandering Traveler is correct, but in addition to that, on an LED screen (928 is AMOLED, 920 is LCD), it won't make any difference. LCD uses the same power regardless of color.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss