Battery Life Thread

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am reserving judgment until I've used the phone for a week or so but so far not bad. First day I started using the phone around 7 am and was on battery saver by about 9 pm. Being a new phone I was downloading apps and doing a lot of setup. Second day I started at 7 am and at 12 am I was close to battery saver but not there yet. So far I like the way its trending.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been very happy with my battery life, overall, but I did wake up to a dead phone today. I had been playing a little bit of Cut the Rope immediately before going to sleep, so I wonder if some related process continued and drained it. I didn't make specific note of how much charge was remaining, but it should have been over half.

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hapy to report, better battery than my GS4 that I had, at 6 hours on and 86%. Wifi/bluetooth on most of the background tasks denied but a couple on, screen brightness auto and my signal most of the day was 1 or 2 bars. Not bad in the slightest.

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
My 928 is getting great battery performance! I'm definitely not a power user but the battery performance has been better than my 8X and way better than my wife's 822.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Got mine on release day. Been through numerous complete discharge and complete charge cycles. Today, I've been using it a bit more realistically. Only streamed music a little on my way to work. WiFi on and connected all day. BT on all day. I will admit, I showed it off a little today and did an impromptu demo of how I can remotely install apps to it, find it and lock it. Actually, prob used it still a bit more than I normally will once the "newness" wears off. Got home checked the phone and WOW! Still at 57% charge and 2+ days estimated!!! WOW! Last time it was charged was 7 hours prior. Definitely seem like the stats are getting better! (Attaching screenshots)
wp_ss_20130528_0005.pngwp_ss_20130528_0004.png

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Depending on my usage I see a good 24-36 hours on my phone. I continuously get e-mail pushing through to my phone though through the day with 6 different e-mail accounts and one of them I can get well over 100+ e-mails in any given day, on top of that add in the regular usage between phone calls, texting, surfing the web periodically, checking facebook and any other use on it, I'm extremely satisfied. I've had mine since day one and have yet to restrict anything on the device for battery limitations. I still have Nokia Drive enabled as well even though I haven't used it yet.

ontapbjt

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I must have a dud because my battery life is horrible at least compared to my 822 or my Trophy. I've had it for about a week and drained it to 0% three times already not once getting a full day out of it. That's without any major use. I basically just do email, surf a bit, check facebook, or basically just mess with the phone. Typically I listen to 1 or 2 hours of podcasts each day but haven't tried that yet with the 922. I haven't done any gaming. This morning I took the phone off charge at around 8:00 am, did some light surfing and reading of emails at the doctors office and I am at 65% battery at 11:00 am. I am not impressed so far.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done empirical testing, but from what I've seen of my phone, it charges quicker on the wireless charger. Also, it will take longer than most phones to charge - at least most of the phones that most of us are coming from - because the battery is 2000 mAh, compared to 1800 mAh for the 822, for instance. It takes more time to pack that extra 200 mAh worth of electrons into it.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I found that my phone is charging faster after each charge. It first started charging at a slow rate of 10% hour, but yesterday I found it charging at 45% an hour. Took about an hour 45 to charge 75%. This is with the wired charger.

I also think my battery keeps on draining rapidly after doing intensive tasks, even after I've closed the apps and locked the phone. Is this normal? Can I fix this?

Last edited:

cmwys

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
So it's been a few days and my battery life is interesting. Definitely better than the first day but the cycles are longer than a full day now so the time when I need to plug back in is constantly changing. Yesterday I had to charge while at work (via USB port on PC - it may have charged only slightly slower than on the wall) and today I won't have to charge until late this evening apparently.

I'm still losing a good bit of my charge while sleeping though. I can only assume it's due to everything being turned on. But even with that I'm still getting well over a day's use before I need to plug in. I do have battery saver turned on which I prefer as it makes my phone seem more reliable in that I know I'll still have enough of a charge to make calls or text until I need to recharge.

Of course, I plan on adding at least a few wireless chargers here and there so that charging is no longer a thing to think about. It just has power. All the time. I have 2 Lumia 928's in my house so I have twice the reasons to buy more wireless plates! :D

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Of course, I plan on adding at least a few wireless chargers here and there so that charging is no longer a thing to think about. It just has power. All the time. I have 2 Lumia 928's in my house so I have twice the reasons to buy more wireless plates! :D

Those charging plates are the BEST! I have one on m nightstand that I put it on when I finally go to bed and I have one at my office. Between the two, I never have to "plug in" any more. Just set it down on the charging plate WHEN it needs it. I'm finding that I never need to charge at the office anymore so I might just move that home.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have one at work on my desk, and my wife just stole the one from my desk at home to use in the living room, which also has a JBL Power Up Speaker. I'll keep plugging in at night, but just because it's not a bother. Once that wireless car charger comes out, night time will be the only time my phone plugs in, other to manage pictures using the computer.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the 928 since launch and can easily get 10 hours of heavy use with battery life to spare.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the 928 since launch and can easily get 10 hours of heavy use with battery life to spare.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

similar to you. Battery life was short after first charge. After 3 full cycles I am getting 12 to 14 hours of heavy use. For example this past Sunday went for a hike and here is the breakdown:

5 hours playing music in car
4 hours running GPS program and using screen a lot
1 hour total taking video screen on full to see in sun

When I got home battery was still at 40%. With light to medium use the next day I didn't plug back in until noon

With my galaxy nexus it would have died after 3 hours of streaming music and would never had made it through the hike.

Maybe a got an unusually stellar battery in my 928. Whatever it is, this phone is a keeper.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
This and the Bugs/Issues thread has me waiting to buy a 928. I loved it and the Z10 at the VZW store, but I have not made a decision yet. I am using a 9930 and I get 48 hours of usage, including 12-14 hours of streaming audio, all antennae on except WiFi (3G, BT, GPS, NFC), with tons of BBM, SMS/MMS, Email, etc. I am looking to get no less battery life from my next phone. Am I being unrealistic?

~Ex

Probably unrealistic. I think the closest you will come is something like an iPhone with their tightly integrated platform (and even then, no guarantee) or one of the Android devices with a monster battery. The Blackberries have always had extreme battery life on their side as an advantage -- but the tiny screen plays a huge part in that as well.

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
This and the Bugs/Issues thread has me waiting to buy a 928. I loved it and the Z10 at the VZW store, but I have not made a decision yet. I am using a 9930 and I get 48 hours of usage, including 12-14 hours of streaming audio, all antennae on except WiFi (3G, BT, GPS, NFC), with tons of BBM, SMS/MMS, Email, etc. I am looking to get no less battery life from my next phone. Am I being unrealistic?

~Ex
You may be unrealistic. I had a Razr Maxx HD for 13 days and returned it waiting for the 928 to come out. None of my androids (i have had 4) got more than 8 hours of heavy use and then only 12 with a large extended battery. The Razr was touted as the longest battery life but I only got 10 hours. The larger screens take more battery. As far as bugs and such, I have had very few and not enough to make me not love this phone. When I can go out on a hike and not worry about battery, then I have found my phone. Its is the 928.

BTW: My mom has her iphone 5 connected to power all the time. So that is no good either. With Android, battery performance can be wildly different from day to day depending on what apps you have on it as some apps are battery hogs and then you have to go find which one by using another app :( I am finding the WP8 apps to be better written as far as resource use or reviewed by MS for conformance.

Daniel Sanchez3

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read through the whole thread, i'm a Android guy here switching over to windows phone for the first time (928).
Are there any tips on how to conserve battery life? I have yet to go below 50%, but that's because I keep plugging it in everywhere I go. I downloaded a battery app titled "Battery" and occasionally I'll get a warning that my phone has lost X charge in the last 19 minutes (draining quickly) when I do extensive stuff like watch non-stop youtube videos... So I ask you guys - what are some tips? Any Apps that I should download? Is it bad to keep my phone plugged in over night? Should I let my phone run its battery cycle instead of popping it on the charger non stop? I'm getting a wireless charging pad soon, will it hurt if I have my phone all day on this while I work?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read through the whole thread, i'm a Android guy here switching over to windows phone for the first time (928).
Are there any tips on how to conserve battery life? I have yet to go below 50%, but that's because I keep plugging it in everywhere I go. I downloaded a battery app titled "Battery" and occasionally I'll get a warning that my phone has lost X charge in the last 19 minutes (draining quickly) when I do extensive stuff like watch non-stop youtube videos... So I ask you guys - what are some tips? Any Apps that I should download? Is it bad to keep my phone plugged in over night? Should I let my phone run its battery cycle instead of popping it on the charger non stop? I'm getting a wireless charging pad soon, will it hurt if I have my phone all day on this while I work?

The battery is the same as any Li-ion battery. There's nothing different in how you should take care of it.

Here's one article:
Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery? | Ars Technica

Here's another:
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/we...ocuments/Battery Best Practices 2012_0229.pdf

Probably the authoratative source though:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
(This is a long article and full of charts and graphs, but can be summarized by this one paragraph...
"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while. Read more about Battery Calibration.)

So with that in mind... Don't discharge completely to zero. Charge often. Don't worry about a memory effect. Don't get it too hot.
Other than that, USE it like you would normally and charge it when you want. Don't stress over it. You will most likely replace the phone before the life of the battery is up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb