Battery Life Thread

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I read the link. I think I'm just going to keep my WiFi on all the time and not worry about it. My battery life is OUTSTANDING and I see no reason to mess with it. ;-)

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
So today for some reason. I took my phone off charge at 4:12am because the full battery notification woke me. I went back to sleep. Woke up at 6:30 my battery is down to 25%. 😠

This is new and up until today my battery has been great.

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I went back and read the updated thread since the I first posted. It seems that it is recommended to keep wifi on? I did not have wifi on when my battery drained super fast. I dont have wifi at work so I am so use to keeping it off thinking it will drain battery just searching. Also there is a issue with having wifi on when it is unable to connect with spotify.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I see alot of similarities in how you charge your phone Hop and myself. I have a wireless charger on my desk at work, but usually only put it there when it NEEDS a charge. I tyically leave it off the charger since I am still paranoid about the "memory affect". I know my phone isn't supposed to get the memory effect, but I'm still paranoid about it.
I charge mine up in the car as well since I have an hour commute each way. It is nice though NOT to have to charge it if I don't want to. I now have options and am not tied to a charger. I think I will be doing more "lving" with the phone than always stressing over it's charge levels.
I leave mine sit on the desk if I'm at my desk, since the vibrator doesn't vibrate enough for me to feel it in my belt case. It would be nice if someone would invent a belt case with its own vibrator, since phone vibrators seem to be getting weaker (or my sensory nerves are getting less sensitive with the years :wink:). Anyway, since I have it sitting on the desk, why not on the charger, right?

I have a shelf on my desk that I made using 2x4s on edge for the stand, and 1X6s for the shelf, to raise my monitors up, so my chiropractor would be happy. I keep meaning to take it home so I can route out the bottom and put the charger underneath. That'll make the shelf look even cleaner, while still charging my phone. :wink:

Ok so I went back and read the updated thread since the I first posted. It seems that it is recommended to keep wifi on? I did not have wifi on when my battery drained super fast. I dont have wifi at work so I am so use to keeping it off thinking it will drain battery just searching. Also there is a issue with having wifi on when it is unable to connect with spotify.
If you're in an area where you can connect to wifi, it is recommended to leave wifi on as it uses less power than cellular data, so yes, this will give you longer battery life.

As for when you're away from wifi, I'm not sure how it works. Of course, having it on will use more power, but how much is the question? Does it stay searching? I doubt that. Does it poll now and then? This would be my guess. I leave mine on all the time, even with no wifi at work, but as noted above, I'm charging more than the average person, so I really can't tell you how much of a difference it makes to leave wifi on. But like I said, if you're in a place where you can use wifi, you'll definitely get better battery life by leaving wifi on.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little worried.. I just got a new 928 a day ago.. first thing out of the box, I ran it til the battery was goners. Then I charged it to 100% for its very 1st charge.. took about 2hrs give or take, don't recall exactly.. Unplugged it, then I spent some time loading apps over WiFi. I put on about 8 apps and got lazy so I stopped. The battery claimed 92% full at that time so I went to sleep.
I woke up the next morning and the phone was off. I thought, hmm.. crash maybe, lol? No way is the battery completely sapped?! Yep, sure enough the battery was zero. I couldn't even turn on the phone. I had slept at about 1130p (batt @92%), woke up around 630a.. battery 0%. Who knows what time last night it actually went dead.

So see how I'm worried.. granted, I don't know what happened, but it worries me that the batt went kaput in about ~7 hours of standby..

I'm hoping a few more charge cycles opens up the battery, and that last night was a fluke, but we shall see..

Who told you to run the battery flat when you 1st got it?? Li ion batteries don't have a "memory" like Cadmium but they can get confused about how much juice they can take on or rather the sensor in the battery gets confused. If you run the battery flat the sensor thinks that zero is full. You should NEVER run the battery to the point of switching off!!! My advice would be to get a battery discharging app, discharge it all the way from full to say 5% and your battery should be recalibrated. You should discharge your battery every now and then to get the most life out of the battery. Because the discharge gets done at a steady rate, the batteries sensor is better able to determine when its full or empty or anywhere in between. I was told this by a rep from Energizer and it apparently holds true for any rechargeable battery.

Sent from my {Lumia 820} using Board Express

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Probably the authoratative source:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
(This is a long article and full of charts and graphs, but can be summarized by this one paragraph...
"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while. Read more about Battery Calibration.)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I fell asleep last night and forgot to put he 928 on its charger. Wifi, Cellular, BT, GPS all on all night. I made sure that I backed out of all apps so that when I hit the back button, no apps came up. I have 7 email accounts all set to notify as soon as I get an email. FB and Twitter apps installed. I only have a few apps allowed to run as a Background Task.

Only lost 2% over the course of 5+ hours sleeping.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I fell asleep last night and forgot to put he 928 on its charger. Wifi, Cellular, BT, GPS all on all night. I made sure that I backed out of all apps so that when I hit the back button, no apps came up. I have 7 email accounts all set to notify as soon as I get an email. FB and Twitter apps installed. I only have a few apps allowed to run as a Background Task.

Only lost 2% over the course of 5+ hours sleeping.

yeah it's mainly tha screen that chews juice but in sleep mode they will last heaps:wink:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the vibe on phones is getting weaker, I can definitely miss my Trophy buzzing at times (especially for email/text etc).

Just bring in a drill and a paddle bit for your desk. Co-workers should love the rain of splinters.

I leave wifi on and bluetooth on when using it (still stuck on my Trophy). I don't miss the fun daily games on Android of hitting toggles and tweaking constantly to get a few more minutes out of my phone.

I leave mine sit on the desk if I'm at my desk, since the vibrator doesn't vibrate enough for me to feel it in my belt case. It would be nice if someone would invent a belt case with its own vibrator, since phone vibrators seem to be getting weaker (or my sensory nerves are getting less sensitive with the years :wink:). Anyway, since I have it sitting on the desk, why not on the charger, right?

I have a shelf on my desk that I made using 2x4s on edge for the stand, and 1X6s for the shelf, to raise my monitors up, so my chiropractor would be happy. I keep meaning to take it home so I can route out the bottom and put the charger underneath. That'll make the shelf look even cleaner, while still charging my phone. :wink:

If you're in an area where you can connect to wifi, it is recommended to leave wifi on as it uses less power than cellular data, so yes, this will give you longer battery life.

As for when you're away from wifi, I'm not sure how it works. Of course, having it on will use more power, but how much is the question? Does it stay searching? I doubt that. Does it poll now and then? This would be my guess. I leave mine on all the time, even with no wifi at work, but as noted above, I'm charging more than the average person, so I really can't tell you how much of a difference it makes to leave wifi on. But like I said, if you're in a place where you can use wifi, you'll definitely get better battery life by leaving wifi on.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I took mine off the charger at 6 this morning. Haven't touched it since and I'm down to 95% an hour later. Not good.
1) A 5% drop in an hour isnt that bad. That's still 20 hours to complete discharge.
2) What all were you doing with it at the time? What were your cell signal strength levels? Did you have all the other antennas on?

There are alot of variables when it comes to battery life. Everyone is going to be different.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago, I got a massive increase in battery life (got it on launch day, so a little over 3 weeks). Today, I still have 73% left after 12 hours. It was mostly on standby with some light texting and browsing, an hour and a half of listening to music through headphones, and an hour of listening paired to Bluetooth speakers. Had Wifi, Location-tracking, and NFC on. Background tasks: CNN, Amazing Weather, Battery Sense, and WPCentral.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb