I was really looking forward to this phone, but I need an SD Card slot

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The lack of a SD Card slot pretty much sealed the deal on me not buying one. I currently have 23 GB of music on my Note 2 and that does not include the several GBs of podcasts that I have downloaded as well. Am I the only one who does not care how thin a phone is? I prefer functionality over appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: I was really looking forward to this phone, but............

Phone is def. not for you then! That said, why do you keep that many podcasts on your phone? I would delete them after listening to them.

I am assuming you have your heart set on the 928 and wouldn't consider the 822...

wesporma

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

The lack of a SD Card slot pretty much sealed the deal on me not buying one. I currently have 23 GB of music on my Note 2 and that does not include the several GBs of podcasts that I have downloaded as well. Am I the only one who does not care how thin a phone is? I prefer functionality over appearance.

That was something that bugged me about the 928 too. But I still went ahead and picked one up yesterday. And when I checked to see how much available space I have, I was disappointed to find only 23gb's left. Hmmm? It looks like I'll have to decide what to keep on the phone and what to upload to the Sky drive. Lets see how long I can tolerate this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

That was something that bugged me about the 928 too. But I still went ahead and picked one up yesterday. And when I checked to see how much available space I have, I was disappointed to find only 23gb's left. Hmmm? It looks like I'll have to decide what to keep on the phone and what to upload to the Sky drive. Lets see how long I can tolerate this.

On another thread, it was thought that there was only that much space left partly because a lot of the maps was predownloaded. Is that the case? If so, you could delete some of the maps.

BTW, I just checked my 920 and the maps for the whole US take up 2.5 gigs roughly.

Last edited:

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Phone is def. not for you then! That said, why do you keep that many podcasts on your phone? I would delete them after listening to them.

I am assuming you have your heart set on the 928 and wouldn't consider the 822...

I actually bought the 822 before the Note 2. I kept it for 10 days and just didn't care for it. Battery life was great but I just felt like I had a mid-range phone the whole time.

On the subject of the podcasts, I do delete them after I am finished but I have a ton loaded on my phone. I listen to them a lot when I am doing cardio, biking or doing homework. So I really need the space. I could buy an iPod for this use case but I do not want to carry around 2 devices.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Is that 23gb available when new ? Or after you installed a bunch of things ? I guess it's better than the 11.5gb that my 8X has but, 32gb down to 23gb ? That's nuts... So, all am paying another $400 for is 10gb ? Hmmmmm

Yea, if you follow my posts you would know the MicroSD thing was huge for me and that really sucks (Nokia said it was a design choice, I think it's BS, as no high end phones have expandable storage, I'm thinking MS set that, so when 8.5 devices hit, the high end models will all have MicroSD forcing you to get a new phone).

The only thing is, If you want a high end WP8 phone on Verizon, this is your only choice AND, if you decide to skip it, with Verizon's track record with WP, you wont see another higher end option till this time next year.

Anyway about it, if you want more space, get a 822 but, if you want a high end option with expandable storage on Verizon, you can't have it because it does not exist.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I actually bought the 822 before the Note 2. I kept it for 10 days and just didn't care for it. Battery life was great but I just felt like I had a mid-range phone the whole time.

On the subject of the podcasts, I do delete them after I am finished but I have a ton loaded on my phone. I listen to them a lot when I am doing cardio, biking or doing homework. So I really need the space. I could buy an iPod for this use case but I do not want to carry around 2 devices.

Fair enough! If the SD card thing is a must, nothing you can do about it.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, the cloud storage option would be great if I had unlimited data...but since I do not, then cloud storage is not an option. I find it kind of appalling when you see unlimited data plans disappearing with SD card slots. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy by any means, but neither the phone manufacturer or the wireless provider are making it easier for the customer.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, the cloud storage option would be great if I had unlimited data...but since I do not, then cloud storage is not an option. I find it kind of appalling when you see unlimited data plans disappearing with SD card slots. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy by any means, but neither the phone manufacturer or the wireless provider are making it easier for the customer.

When you are the biggest US provider, you don't have to offer the best! Just thinking, you could have something like 15 gigs of music and still have plenty of space. Possible store some of your lesser used music in the cloud?

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

When you are the biggest US provider, you don't have to offer the best! Just thinking, you could have something like 15 gigs of music and still have plenty of space. Possible store some of your lesser used music in the cloud?

Has the Amazon MP3 app arrived on WP8? That is the cloud service I use for music.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No, though if you use google's version, there is a third party app for that.

I am not a fan of the Google Music Service. I have about 20 GB loaded into my Amazon MP3 cloud, I do not want to go through the hassle of doing it over again lol

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I am not a fan of the Google Music Service. I have about 20 GB loaded into my Amazon MP3 cloud, I do not want to go through the hassle of doing it over again lol

I hear ya! Uploading that much data is a giant pain!

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I just don't put my entire music library on my phone. I put certain playlists, that have a variety of the music I like most. When specific holidays and such come around I will change a few around. It only takes a couple of minutes to change out playlists. I don't see the need to keep all of my music on a phone.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I'm the same way I have like 10-15 albums on my phone and its not even taking up 6GB of space. I don't keep movies on my phone because i have never once needed to watch a movie on there.

Why anyone would ever need thousands of songs on their mobile is beyond me.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm the same way I have like 10-15 albums on my phone and its not even taking up 6GB of space. I don't keep movies on my phone because i have never once needed to watch a movie on there.

Why anyone would ever need thousands of songs on their mobile is beyond me.

Probably for the same reason people (including myself) pay for Xbox Music subscription: For the ability to listen to what they want, when they want. This uses the same principle except with his own music collection.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Only 23? On my 920 when its wiped clean I have about 28 free. I find that 23 quite surprising. What have Verizon put on that thing?!?

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site

Im wondering if people that needs all that music wouldnt be happy with like spotify and pandora? I dont even own any music any more I just use those two apps. Yeah the SD card was a bummer but I looked at my old one I only had a couple pics on it.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Im wondering if people that needs all that music wouldnt be happy with like spotify and pandora? I dont even own any music any more I just use those two apps. Yeah the SD card was a bummer but I looked at my old one I only had a couple pics on it.

Like I said above, streaming becomes an issues when there is not an unlimited data plan. This is why there should be the option of an SD Card. Also, Pandora does not offer choice of a specific song. Also why pay for a service like Spotify when I already own the music? Why raise my data usage and pay a monthly fee for something I already own? Not everyone needs an SD Card, but I do for my phone. One of the purposes of a smartphone is to eliminate the need for an iPod. Eliminating the SD Card makes it more difficult for customers like myself.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Like I said above, streaming becomes an issues when there is not an unlimited data plan. This is why there should be the option of an SD Card. Also, Pandora does not offer choice of a specific song. Also why pay for a service like Spotify when I already own the music? Why raise my data usage and pay a monthly fee for something I already own? Not everyone needs an SD Card, but I do for my phone. One of the purposes of a smartphone is to eliminate the need for an iPod. Eliminating the SD Card makes it more difficult for customers like myself.

I feel the same way. It seems like people don't like to use logic or they use their own closed-minded view when coming up with solutions for this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven