One day later - scratch in screen (from nothing I can think of) - options?

DGalt11

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Bought the 928 Thursday morning, was super excited since I've been waiting on a Windows Phone on Verizon that I felt was worth getting for what seems like forever now.

I have been as gentle / thoughtful with it over the last day as humanly possible since I was waiting on the case that I ordered to arrive. Despite this, though, I somehow got a small scratch in the middle of the screen. Absolutely no idea where it came from. It's not terrible, but it creates some minor rain-bowing along the actual scratch under certain screen conditions (bright backlighting on a white background, for example).

Do I have any options here or do I just have to live with it? Never really had any issues with scratching phone screens (even though I generally don't use screen protectors I'm overly careful with my gadgets), which is why this is so frustrating considering I've barely had the phone for 24 hrs. Not sure what the options are since I'm 1. obviously still under warranty and 2. within the return period (although there's obviously the restocking fee)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a scratch in my L920 and for the life of me, I don't know how it got there. But what is actually scratched isn't so much the screen but that protective coating on the screen. Same difference but its possible this is what you have as well. I'm just going to live with it. At least until Nokia drops the 950 or whatever it'll be called.

DGalt11

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I assume it's in the protective coating and not the actual glass itself (since I can't think of anything that should have even scratched the coating, let alone the glass). Still, as you said, either way it shows up as a scratch. If this phone was already 6 months old I'd say whatever and live with it until my next upgrade, but I've barely had it a day.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Mate just take it bk and say the battery is ****ed or it keeps crashing and they will replace it. Then on your new one get a screen protector if you think u,need it.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointing if the screen scratches up so easily. I've yet to pick this up, but I've not had an issues with scratches on iPhones and Android devices I've owned. Hopefully, this isn't a widespread issue.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I thought the 928 had Gorilla Glass 2 - I have seen a number of "torture test videos" on the Lumia 920 where they did car keys and a knife on the body and screen ... and COULD NOT create a scratch.

Do a search and check out the videos.

I'd return it as defective!

joansin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone for less than a week and went to take it back to the retailer. The screen has many small scratches and they wanted to take the phone and not give me any money back. I'm not wasting my upgrade on this phone and not going to lose my money. Horrible phone, horrible OS, sticking with my HTC DNA.....

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah mine has a scratch after 1 week. Crazy. I have a DroidX for a year, unprotected and it never got scratched. Same with my GNex.
Eh, whatever.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Same with me, my iP5 is flawless, my 928 has a bunch of hairline scratches. I also feel like everything is more prone to sticking to the 928's screen.

mattb13

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Just so I'm up to speed... We have a thread full of people recommending that he exchange so that Verizon and Nokia have to pay for OP's mistake?

No screen is impervious to scratches. Putting your phone in the same pocket as keys, loose change, etc... can scratch gorilla glass. That's why the screen protector industry exists. It's a shame that it happened, but it wasn't Verizon or Nokia's fault that the OP didn't pop the $10 to protect his $500(?) device.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just so I'm up to speed... We have a thread full of people recommending that he exchange so that Verizon and Nokia have to pay for OP's mistake?

No screen is impervious to scratches. Putting your phone in the same pocket as keys, loose change, etc... can scratch gorilla glass. That's why the screen protector industry exists. It's a shame that it happened, but it wasn't Verizon or Nokia's fault that the OP didn't pop the $10 to protect his $500(?) device.

I have to agree. When I think of people returning $500 devices and ruining Nokia's profit margins over things like this it makes me a little angry. I do have a lot of sympathy for the op for the scratch, but the responsible thing to do is suck it up and live with it.

I do think the oleophoebic (sp?) coating on the 920 is quite prone to micro-scratches though. So I understand why people feel it shouldn't have scratched.

It's a tough one.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Its not prone to scratches though. Its just people who cannot take the blame themselves. Nothing they did was wrong, they babied the phone blah blah blah.

I've seen people say this about their iPhones, their Evos, their Droids, and hell even a Surface.

No one can accept the fact they did something wrong. I dropped my 920 from 10 ft in the air to concrete. Screen intact. One trip to the beach, and my screen has small little scratches from sand. Its my fault, now how about you own up to yours.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
apparently you haven't seen the numerous posts on how easy it is to shatter the 928's screen. No need to get defensive over it.

I've seen a lot more reports of people saying they dropped it and it has been fine... I've only seen people say they dropped it directly on the corner and it broke... to be expected. haters will find any reason to hate that's their job. This is a great phone, nuff said.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Who's hating? No reason to get **** hurt here friend. The 928 is my daily driver not my iP5 so I'm certainly not hating. You made a snide comment and I simply stated that quite possibly this phones screen could shatter too if dropped. Long shot I know, but possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon