08-14-2013 11:09 AM
109 1234 ...
tools
    Now that I've established you have no clear evidence of your statement - as someone who too has obsessively followed the 822 AND 928, and as someone who additionally has been following group MMS obsessively, there has NEVER been a public statement by VZW regarding this issue. The best anyone has ever been able to provide is a screencap of a support chat. Considering that support personnel routinely get simple facts wrong, I don't personally find this to be terribly reliable. In fact, the editor-in-chief of this very website confuses multiple-recepient SMS with group MMS, so I wouldn't put it past a low-level chat support to do the same. It'd be nice if you spoke less definitively about something if you have nothing with which to back it up. I'm not saying a fix isn't coming. I hope it is. But you, again, have nothing.
    Take this for whatever you want, but I have had high up relationship managers tell me it is coming, and also received this email (and notice it IS NOT from a low level tech support team, but a group that spent over a week looking into it for me).

On your SMS/MMS mixup comment, you're actually misinformed. Group (threaded) text messaging is actually done through MMS as SMS doesn't have the appropriate infrastructure. For example, my personal phone is one our corporate account and once they decided to stop paying for MMS, I no longer received group text messages. Annoyingly, it doesnt tell the sender that the message is never received
    Attached Thumbnails vzw.jpg  
    Last edited by AR2186; 05-20-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: SMS doesn't have appropriate infrastructure
    05-20-2013 09:51 AM
    vzw.jpg
    unfortunately it does say POSSIBLE.
    05-20-2013 09:56 AM
    I recall a few months ago someone here had a long conversation with Verizon support. The rep was confused that the 822 didn't have it because the Trophy did.

The caller made the rep continue digging and got another department in the line. They discovers that it was intentionally gimped. Verizon specifically made the request for that feature to be left out of their Windows Phone handsets.

A call was placed to Nokia and they said the same thing. It was a request from Verizon.

If something is coming, it's not a "fix" because nothing was broken.

I bet it's a way to integrate Verizon's own proprietary group text service.
    05-20-2013 10:05 AM
    Take this for whatever you want, but I have had high up relationship managers tell me it is coming, and also received this email (and notice it IS NOT from a low level tech support team, but a group that spent over a week looking into it for me).

On your SMS/MMS mixup comment, you're actually misinformed. Group (threaded) text messaging is actually done through MMS as SMS does have the appropriate infrastructure. For example, my personal phone is one our corporate account and once they decided to stop paying for MMS, I no longer received group text messages. Annoyingly, it doesnt tell the sender that the message is never received
    ...I know?

I've never denied there has been a trickle of various VZW employees implying a fix was coming, but nothing official has ever been put out; not that one would expect such a thing to be a PR release anyway
    05-20-2013 10:06 AM
    They are launching Verizon Messages and I have a feeling it will not get integrated into the OS itself, but as a seperate application (which they are developing)

Verizon Messages - Verizon Wireless
    05-20-2013 10:07 AM
    Does the WP OS even allow that level of access to apps?
    05-20-2013 10:10 AM
    ...I know?

I've never denied there has been a trickle of various VZW employees implying a fix was coming, but nothing official has ever been put out; not that one would expect such a thing to be a PR release anyway
    They definitely aren't going to say anything publically, but why deny they are working on it?
    05-20-2013 10:11 AM
    They definitely aren't going to say anything publically, but why deny they are working on it?
    I don't deny anything as I have no standing to do so, but when certain posters declare with certainty that an update is coming and that this has been publicly announced, I feel it's necessary to take corrective action.
    05-20-2013 10:14 AM
    They are launching Verizon Messages and I have a feeling it will not get integrated into the OS itself, but as a seperate application (which they are developing)

Verizon Messages - Verizon Wireless
    Yup.

Group chat through MMS was not broken. It was intentionally removed as requested by Verizon because of this.
    05-20-2013 11:21 AM
    Yup.

Group chat through MMS was not broken. It was intentionally removed as requested by Verizon because of this.
    From what many suspect it's a security issue - there is something about the way Microsoft does it that Verizon doesn't like.
    Again, if this is true, the question is whether this is due to something on the Verizon side or something on the Microsoft side. Who would be the one to fix it?

It was almost definitely not removed for a reason other than something not working as Verizon intended. Whether you say this is "broken" or not, it is extremely unlikely that it was arbitrary and Verizon just said "y'know, why should WP8 users have a feature standard on every other OS on every other carrier? F'm, let's remove it!"
    05-20-2013 12:37 PM
    wonder why it would be a security issue on WP8 and not WP7 as my trophy's group messaging works fine.
    05-20-2013 12:55 PM
    From what many suspect it's a security issue - there is something about the way Microsoft does it that Verizon doesn't like.
    Again, if this is true, the question is whether this is due to something on the Verizon side or something on the Microsoft side. Who would be the one to fix it?

It was almost definitely not removed for a reason other than something not working as Verizon intended. Whether you say this is "broken" or not, it is extremely unlikely that it was arbitrary and Verizon just said "y'know, why should WP8 users have a feature standard on every other OS on every other carrier? F'm, let's remove it!"
    I received an email from support stating this was the reason, for whatever that's worth
    05-20-2013 03:54 PM
    I think we should be pestering Microsoft for a fix, not Verizon. Microsoft should have appeased Verizon from the start instead of making us suffer.
    05-20-2013 04:07 PM
    I think we should be pestering Microsoft for a fix, not Verizon. Microsoft should have appeased Verizon from the start instead of making us suffer.
    What fix? The functionality is part of the OS.

The reason it's not there is because it was removed.

Why was it removed?

Well, Verizon has their own thing rolling out soon...
    05-20-2013 08:09 PM
    I received an email from support stating this was the reason, for whatever that's worth
    Sounds like BS to me.

Well, unless someone could point out what the security reason is.

Unless they mean Verizon's financial security of course. There are costs associated with using MMS.
    05-20-2013 08:12 PM
    What fix? The functionality is part of the OS.

The reason it's not there is because it was removed.

Why was it removed?

Well, Verizon has their own thing rolling out soon...
    And it was apparently removed because Microsoft implemented it in a way Verizon didn't like... Therefore they should fix their implementation to accommodate Verizon.

And no Verizon messages is not going to replace group messages or Windows Phone (the only os that doesnt allow group messaging) would have gotten the app just like everybody else.
    05-20-2013 08:27 PM
    And it was apparently removed because Microsoft implemented it in a way Verizon didn't like... Therefore they should fix their implementation to accommodate Verizon.

And no Verizon messages is not going to replace group messages or Windows Phone (the only os that doesnt allow group messaging) would have gotten the app just like everybody else.
    What ddidn't they like?

It's fine for everyone else.
    05-20-2013 08:32 PM
    What ddidn't they like?

It's fine for everyone else.
    That's what we don't know. It's been said that the way Microsoft implemented group messaging in WP8 is not secure and therefore Verizon will not support it.
    05-20-2013 09:01 PM
    That's what we don't know. It's been said that the way Microsoft implemented group messaging in WP8 is not secure and therefore Verizon will not support it.
    But they supported it with WP7?

The "insecure" things sounds fishy when every other carrier is fine with it.
    05-20-2013 09:13 PM

Yeah but WP7 is a whole different framework from WP8. And Verizon uses a different network infrastructure than everybody else so idkkk. I'm not saying this is definitely true but its something to consider
    05-20-2013 09:26 PM
    Verizon supposedly stating that a group messaging fix is on its way? *gasp* Where have we heard that one before? *Still waiting*

Meanwhile, I had to replace the spouse units SIM card two weeks ago. I asked the Verizon rep about group messaging. She stated that she hasn't heard of any changes. Even check the Verizon Windows Forum. No response from customer service in any of the threads regarding group messaging. Verizon tried this with Android also. They wanted people to use their Verizon Messages app instead. I don't know how it worked out.

I sincerely hope that everyone who has this gripe like me, while completely valid, don't use this forum as the only place to vent. It gets zero exposure here.
    • Get on Verizon’s facebook page and make a post.
    • Twitter your complaint about lack of group messaging #verizonwireless
    • File a complaint with the FCC and BBB.

You have to voice your opinions where it's going to be heard.
    ryan.kruger likes this.
    05-21-2013 07:03 AM

There are plenty of reasons why it may have been done in a way that works fine with the standards and/or protocols of other providers but not Verizon.

That's far more likely than Verizon is twisting their moustache and thinking "we have our own messaging platform coming, and we'll let iOS and Android ignore it but force it on WP8 users. That'll make us rich beyond our dreams!"

Seriously, if it was something Verizon wanted to force they'd use their leverage with the Droid name to do it, not force it on an OS that doesn't yet put a dent into their revenues.
    05-21-2013 08:35 AM
    There are plenty of reasons why it may have been done in a way that works fine with the standards and/or protocols of other providers but not Verizon.

That's far more likely than Verizon is twisting their moustache and thinking "we have our own messaging platform coming, and we'll let iOS and Android ignore it but force it on WP8 users. That'll make us rich beyond our dreams!"

Seriously, if it was something Verizon wanted to force they'd use their leverage with the Droid name to do it, not force it on an OS that doesn't yet put a dent into their revenues.
    Verizon has no leverage for iOS or Android. This isn't 5 yrs ago.
    05-21-2013 08:57 AM
    I wrote the Better Business Bureau about this as I consider it a hostile action against the consumer. Verizon responded with this.

----------------------------------------------------
    May 20, 2013

Attention: Gina Bocchicchio
    Better Business Bureau of New Jersey
    1700 Whitehorse – Hamilton Sq. Rd. Ste D5
    Trenton, NJ 08690

<Personal Information Removed>

Dear Ms. Bocchicchio:

Thank you for allowing Verizon Wireless the opportunity to respond to <Personal Information Removed> concern of the functionality of Group Messaging on his Windows 8 device.

Verizon Wireless is aware that the Group Messaging feature is currently not working on the Windows 8 device. Currently, there is no work around to use the feature. However, a fix for the issue is under review and is expected to be released in the next software update. The update is tentatively scheduled for release in June 2013. To keep up with the latest information for this issue, <Personal Information Removed> is encouraged to visit https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=rxbCik-M.

Should <Personal Information Removed> have any questions regarding this response, he may contact me at (949) 286-2313 between the hours of 8:30AM to 5:30PM PT.

Respectfully,

Tracey Flowers
    Executive Relations – West Area
    Verizon Wireless
    Last edited by jopatter89; 06-07-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Stupid BB code... hire a real developer.
    06-07-2013 12:25 PM
    Do you suppose the NSA is paying VZW .20/text message or do they have the unlimited plan?
    hopmedic likes this.
    06-07-2013 01:32 PM
109 1234 ...