Group Messaging?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What fix? The functionality is part of the OS.

The reason it's not there is because it was removed.

Why was it removed?

Well, Verizon has their own thing rolling out soon...

And it was apparently removed because Microsoft implemented it in a way Verizon didn't like... Therefore they should fix their implementation to accommodate Verizon.

And no Verizon messages is not going to replace group messages or Windows Phone (the only os that doesnt allow group messaging) would have gotten the app just like everybody else.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
And it was apparently removed because Microsoft implemented it in a way Verizon didn't like... Therefore they should fix their implementation to accommodate Verizon.

And no Verizon messages is not going to replace group messages or Windows Phone (the only os that doesnt allow group messaging) would have gotten the app just like everybody else.

What ddidn't they like?

It's fine for everyone else.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what we don't know. It's been said that the way Microsoft implemented group messaging in WP8 is not secure and therefore Verizon will not support it.

But they supported it with WP7?

The "insecure" things sounds fishy when every other carrier is fine with it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Yeah but WP7 is a whole different framework from WP8. And Verizon uses a different network infrastructure than everybody else so idkkk. I'm not saying this is definitely true but its something to consider

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Verizon supposedly stating that a group messaging fix is on its way? *gasp* Where have we heard that one before? *Still waiting*

Meanwhile, I had to replace the spouse units SIM card two weeks ago. I asked the Verizon rep about group messaging. She stated that she hasn't heard of any changes. Even check the Verizon Windows Forum. No response from customer service in any of the threads regarding group messaging. Verizon tried this with Android also. They wanted people to use their Verizon Messages app instead. I don't know how it worked out.

I sincerely hope that everyone who has this gripe like me, while completely valid, don't use this forum as the only place to vent. It gets zero exposure here.
  • Get on Verizon’s facebook page and make a post.
  • Twitter your complaint about lack of group messaging #verizonwireless
  • File a complaint with the FCC and BBB.

You have to voice your opinions where it's going to be heard.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

There are plenty of reasons why it may have been done in a way that works fine with the standards and/or protocols of other providers but not Verizon.

That's far more likely than Verizon is twisting their moustache and thinking "we have our own messaging platform coming, and we'll let iOS and Android ignore it but force it on WP8 users. That'll make us rich beyond our dreams!"

Seriously, if it was something Verizon wanted to force they'd use their leverage with the Droid name to do it, not force it on an OS that doesn't yet put a dent into their revenues.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of reasons why it may have been done in a way that works fine with the standards and/or protocols of other providers but not Verizon.

That's far more likely than Verizon is twisting their moustache and thinking "we have our own messaging platform coming, and we'll let iOS and Android ignore it but force it on WP8 users. That'll make us rich beyond our dreams!"

Seriously, if it was something Verizon wanted to force they'd use their leverage with the Droid name to do it, not force it on an OS that doesn't yet put a dent into their revenues.

Verizon has no leverage for iOS or Android. This isn't 5 yrs ago.

jopatter89

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I wrote the Better Business Bureau about this as I consider it a hostile action against the consumer. Verizon responded with this.

----------------------------------------------------
May 20, 2013

Attention: Gina Bocchicchio
Better Business Bureau of New Jersey
1700 Whitehorse – Hamilton Sq. Rd. Ste D5
Trenton, NJ 08690

<Personal Information Removed>

Dear Ms. Bocchicchio:

Thank you for allowing Verizon Wireless the opportunity to respond to <Personal Information Removed> concern of the functionality of Group Messaging on his Windows 8 device.

Verizon Wireless is aware that the Group Messaging feature is currently not working on the Windows 8 device. Currently, there is no work around to use the feature. However, a fix for the issue is under review and is expected to be released in the next software update. The update is tentatively scheduled for release in June 2013. To keep up with the latest information for this issue, <Personal Information Removed> is encouraged to visit https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...TPS://www.verizon.com/support/&token=yyq8maB4.

Should <Personal Information Removed> have any questions regarding this response, he may contact me at (949) 286-2313 between the hours of 8:30AM to 5:30PM PT.

Respectfully,

Tracey Flowers
Executive Relations – West Area
Verizon Wireless

Last edited:

Insane Toad

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I may be confused on what some of you are considering group messaging....... But under the people hub I created a new group for my family. Under that group I send them all a message at the same time just by choosing the text all option.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, this is a big issue for me. I get a lot of group messages and they get broken up. This is a pain in the A$$ thanks Verizon. Infact, I tried to get my wife to get WP8 with a 928, after a week she returned it and this was in her top 2 reasons for returning it (besidses some of the apps)

I have called them and they say it's coming soon(heard the same thing from a few reps, they know it's an issue)....So, My question is....When will soon be now ??????

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, and the only reason I picked one up is because I got a mint one for less than 1/2 of you guys paid for it (off contract buyers). It came down to 32gb vs16gb. I can live with it till the 8.5/ 9 devices hit.

This discussion is not about bashing me for disliking the 928 because it does not have a MicroSD slot (truth be told, I am still disappointed about it), flaming people is something you could be written up for here that is worse than talking bad about wp8. BTW, who actually "banned" me from getting a 928? LOL

This discussion is about the lack of group texting for ANY Windows Phone 8 device on Verizon wireless. It is a known issue, and my wife DID return her 928 because of the lack of this feature.

Lets stay on topic here

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
And group messaging isn't a Windows Phone issue, anyway. It's Verizon.

It's a windows phone on vzw issue. Its lack of inclusion is negatively affecting many people to the point where they will drop wp in favor of a different device. Verizon doesn't take any loss here, other than very small amount of churn. It's Microsoft and wp that take the hit and as such they should never have agreed to drop the feature or they should have fixed whatever vzw didn't like immediately

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep, and the only reason I picked one up is because I got a mint one for less than 1/2 of you guys paid for it (off contract buyers). It came down to 32gb vs16gb. I can live with it till the 8.5/ 9 devices hit.

This discussion is not about bashing me for disliking the 928 because it does not have a MicroSD slot (truth be told, I am still disappointed about it), flaming people is something you could be written up for here that is worse than talking bad about wp8. BTW, who actually "banned" me from getting a 928? LOL

This discussion is about the lack of group texting for ANY Windows Phone 8 device on Verizon wireless. It is a known issue, and my wife DID return her 928 because of the lack of this feature.

Lets stay on topic here
Nobody flamed you - I told him what the comment meant. Lighten up, Francis. Oh - and lots of us are disappointed that it doesn't have an SD slot. You were just the most vocal.

I don't remember who banned you - just remember reading the comment and laughing out loud.

Last edited:

scallywag6

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I used to group text with 8 of my closest friends (iphone & android) on a daily basis. To them, WP has changed from a curiosity (on my trophy) to a complete joke (on my 928). With such a basic feature missing, anything positive I say is met with mocking laughter. So frustrated.

altimax

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have an update on this? I read somewhere that there was an update due for June 13 that might include group messaging... Alas the 13th has come and almost gone with nary an update. ::sigh::

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo