Group Messaging?

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has no leverage for iOS or Android. This isn't 5 yrs ago.

This response makes no sense. I said Droid, not Android. They're not the same thing. Android is an OS, owned by Google. Droid is a marketing term, owned by Verizon.

Take off your tinfoil hat. Verizon has ZERO reason to ban group MMS for some magic text message app you think is coming out. What do they gain? All they do is hold up WP8 adoption, something that we've been told they make fantastic margins on. And, even if every single WP8 user on Verizon uses their app, they still have, what, 7% of their users on it, at best?

It makes ZERO business sense. None. At all.

If this app was a big deal it would roll out as Droid Messaging first with fanfare and they'd try to push it there. Even if only 20% of their Droid users adopted it the share would still be greater than 100% of their WP8 users. Plus, it would be fairly easy for them to make a deal for this in exchange for the Droid branding, which carries a lot of power.

Seriously, your tinfoil hat conspiracy theory simply doesn't hold up logically. It's impossible to make that business case.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I used to group text with 8 of my closest friends (iphone & android) on a daily basis. To them, WP has changed from a curiosity (on my trophy) to a complete joke (on my 928). With such a basic feature missing, anything positive I say is met with mocking laughter. So frustrated.

Yup. I get an enormous amount of group texts. They are impossible to follow since they aren't chronological when everyone is individual, and inevitably half the conversation turns into making fun of me for choosing WP8, since they all know that there is nothing I can do to defend myself unless I want to manually add each and every one of them to every text I send. Worse, I don't even know everyone included - if someone doesn't respond I have no clue he sees those texts.
I mean, if I were in their shoes I'd do the same thing to the one ***** that can't do group texts.

Doesn't help that two of them work out in Cupertino and really get to feel that their product is superior.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I do not like Group Messaging. Nothing is more annoying than getting everyone's replies to a message they sent you. I totally understand why Verizon shut it off. Surprised it isn't going to be the new way to go with apps being able to replace the feature.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I do not like Group Messaging. Nothing is more annoying than getting everyone's replies to a message they sent you. I totally understand why Verizon shut it off. Surprised it isn't going to be the new way to go with apps being able to replace the feature.

You know you can turn group messaging off right? Or you could tell your friends not to include you in group messages. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean no one else needs it. I for one use it daily and absolutely despise the fact that Verizon has disabled it for whatever reason. Even more annoying is their refusal to officially address the issue. All we've heard up until now is hear-say.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

How is them making it all in one thread any more annoying than receiving group messages in individual threads instead?

No offense, but this is the kind of nonsensical talk that moves carriers to make backwards decisions like the decision VZW made to exclude group messaging from wp8's in the first place.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
How is them making it all in one thread any more annoying than receiving group messages in individual threads instead?

No offense, but this is the kind of nonsensical talk that moves carriers to make backwards decisions like the decision VZW made to exclude group messaging from wp8's in the first place.

No, it's much worse, right? In group text you get one thread. Without it you get a hundred different threads you can't respond to.
Also, on AT&T you can turn Group Text off.

I always love when people say "I don't like an optional feature that's considered standard so there's no reason to have it." WP8 seems to be especially victim to this. "You don't need X feature that every other phone has, you just need to learn to use your phone better!"
It's that attitude, like you said, that keeps the OS behind rather than pushes it forward.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No, it's much worse, right? In group text you get one thread. Without it you get a hundred different threads you can't respond to.
Also, on AT&T you can turn Group Text off.

I always love when people say "I don't like an optional feature that's considered standard so there's no reason to have it." WP8 seems to be especially victim to this. "You don't need X feature that every other phone has, you just need to learn to use your phone better!"
It's that attitude, like you said, that keeps the OS behind rather than pushes it forward.
Definitely, and it's very pervasive on these boards. The truth is that it's way easier for many people to switch OS than carriers. Just speaking for myself and no one else, if the HTC One comes out on VZW before this issue is resolved, that's where I'm going, as much as I love WP8 and develop for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss