Group Messaging?

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Definitely, and it's very pervasive on these boards.

Notification center is one of the funniest. 'You don't need it, you have live tiles. It's dumb. I won't use it.' It's as if people think features that would clearly bring the OS closer to feature parity, and therefore a larger user base, are somehow harmful to them and their perception of what WP8 should be. Oh well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Notification center is one of the funniest. 'You don't need it, you have live tiles. It's dumb. I won't use it.' It's as if people think features that would clearly bring the OS closer to feature parity, and therefore a larger user base, are somehow harmful to them and their perception of what WP8 should be. Oh well.

I recently posted in a thread about searching text messages. I thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't search text messages. I use this feature quite often. Here's what a moderator had to say:

Nope you cant search text messages but why would you need to. I have never needed to search text messages short of finding a comment in a conversations maybe an address or something given. That is simple enough just go to the conversations you are having with the person and scan the thread. You can also go the person in contacts and look through their history.

Windows Phone is different from other OS's that doesn't mean you can't do it its just not done the same way its done on the other OS. If you changed from one of the other OS's I think you did that to experience some thing different didn't you? Instead of getting upset because WP doesn't search text messages the exact same way the OS you just got tired of and witched form how's about figuring out how this is accomplished on WP?

You be the judge!

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently posted in a thread about searching text messages. I thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't search text messages. I use this feature quite often. Here's what a moderator had to say:

You be the judge!

Uh..... Yeah, no. That logic doesn't work for me. I search texts a lot too. Like I said - people wrongfully defend the missing features. I love WP8 - so much so that I'm likely switching from Android in two weeks. But I recognize that there are deficiencies. It blows my mind that so many people refuse to do so.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Seriously go somewhere else... I can't believe some people.

Excuse me. Why should I go someplace else? I simply expressed my opinion that I was hoping it would be optional as I do not like group messaging and I know LOTS of other people who do not. I have even had people tell me that they wish it was off on their phone too.

You don't need to be a jerk about it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Excuse me. Why should I go someplace else? I simply expressed my opinion that I was hoping it would be optional as I do not like group messaging and I know LOTS of other people who do not. I have even had people tell me that they wish it was off on their phone too.

You don't need to be a jerk about it.

Well, if we had group messaging for WP8 on VZW then you would obviously have the option to turn it off. That's how it is on AT&T & T-Mobile. But stop advocating denying a feature that many of us do want. Group messaging is a major way that I stay in touch with multiple groups of friends that live across the country & world.

Your advocacy is narrowminded and dimwitted. It's silly thinking like yours that hinders an OS from moving forward.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Your advocacy is narrowminded and dimwitted. It's silly thinking like yours that hinders an OS from moving forward.

technically the OS took the step, as it supports the feature. verizon needs to up their game and improve the service customers receive using WP8 on their network. but i do agree that with this feature working on verizon more users would adopt the OS as a whole and that could only be good for WP.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, if we had group messaging for WP8 on VZW then you would obviously have the option to turn it off. That's how it is on AT&T & T-Mobile. But stop advocating denying a feature that many of us do want. Group messaging is a major way that I stay in touch with multiple groups of friends that live across the country & world.

Dimwitted? I don't care if it is optional (that is SO narrow minded of me, I apologize). My use is broader and much more complicated than keeping in touch with friends. I want it turned off to keep people from embarrassing themselves by having their replies going to everyone I send an announcement to.

I did not realize that it was something that could be turned off as I am on Verizon and don't have group text. Thanks for giving this DIMWIT some information.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Yup, that's a bad one.
I'd say the worst is them claiming we don't need to kill apps. "They don't take up memory. Just hit the Windows key. Learn to use your phone better." No, companies that say "learn to use the product" rather than adapt the product to expectations never last long. Inevitably I always end up backing into an app that I have no interest in being in. I want to kill that app. WP8 apologists tell me I'm wrong, and that occasionally backing into an app is a good thing.

Microsoft really needs to fix instances in the "back" queue, anyway. It's a near-daily occurrence for my Back usage to go like this: SMS with my GF -> Messages -> SMS with my GF -> Messages -> SMS with my GF -> Messages -> Home. There's no reason I should go through that loop. It's infuriating.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Dimwitted? I don't care if it is optional (that is SO narrow minded of me, I apologize). My use is broader and much more complicated than keeping in touch with friends. I want it turned off to keep people from embarrassing themselves by having their replies going to everyone I send an announcement to.

I did not realize that it was something that could be turned off as I am on Verizon and don't have group text. Thanks for giving this DIMWIT some information.

You're welcome.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Verizon corporate tech support person who started looking into this back in March for me. No idea why he chose today to call, but he told me that group messaging from VZW WIndows Phones were having problems with group messaging, which is why they shut if off in the original builds, but that the update coming by the end of July will fix it. I originally had an 8x, but when I mentioned that I now have a 928, he said that the 928 will also receive a similar update by the end of July.

I was really surprised to get that call. He said he would follow up when he knew, but I never expected him to actually do it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Verizon corporate tech support person who started looking into this back in March for me. No idea why he chose today to call, but he told me that group messaging from VZW WIndows Phones were having problems with group messaging, which is why they shut if off in the original builds, but that the update coming by the end of July will fix it. I originally had an 8x, but when I mentioned that I now have a 928, he said that the 928 will also receive a similar update by the end of July.

I was really surprised to get that call. He said he would follow up when he knew, but I never expected him to actually do it.

Interesting, the only group messaging problem i ever had with my Trophy is occasionally having to click "Download content" when it fails to convert the MMS to text. More good news! Thanks for keeping us posted.

I've had three more people, that I know of, contact the BBB to file a complaint. Let's keep it going.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

We've been told this repeatedly.
When I see Verizon issue a statement, or when I see the patch is available to download, I'll believe it.
Until then? Not holding my breath.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Seriously go somewhere else... I can't believe some people.
Seriously? Some of us find that the group messaging is infuriating and WISH there really was a way to turn it off. iSheep friends who are clueless and don't seem to care that some of the people on their list of recipients are trying to sleep should be shot. Then there are the ones who reply that you don't even know, keeping you awake until the wee hours of the morning. And no, don't ask me to silence my phone. There are family members with medical issues and we need to be able to be reached. There needs to be a way to prevent RECEIPT of group messages. Yes, have your group messaging, but also give me a way to block it.

Yup, that's a bad one.
I'd say the worst is them claiming we don't need to kill apps. "They don't take up memory. Just hit the Windows key. Learn to use your phone better." No, companies that say "learn to use the product" rather than adapt the product to expectations never last long. Inevitably I always end up backing into an app that I have no interest in being in. I want to kill that app. WP8 apologists tell me I'm wrong, and that occasionally backing into an app is a good thing.

Microsoft really needs to fix instances in the "back" queue, anyway. It's a near-daily occurrence for my Back usage to go like this: SMS with my GF -> Messages -> SMS with my GF -> Messages -> SMS with my GF -> Messages -> Home. There's no reason I should go through that loop. It's infuriating.
You do this by choice, not by necessity. FACT: When you press Start, with the exception of location tracking and background audio apps, the app is now suspended and uses zero CPU cycles. You are only infuriating yourself by choice. It is not the fault of Microsoft that your prior phone trained you to be so uptight about what is in the back stack.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? Some of us find that the group messaging is infuriating and WISH there really was a way to turn it off. iSheep friends who are clueless and don't seem to care that some of the people on their list of recipients are trying to sleep should be shot. Then there are the ones who reply that you don't even know, keeping you awake until the wee hours of the morning. And no, don't ask me to silence my phone. There are family members with medical issues and we need to be able to be reached. There needs to be a way to prevent RECEIPT of group messages. Yes, have your group messaging, but also give me a way to block it.[/URL]
Instead of getting in a ridiculous tizzy maybe you can use that noggin to do a modicum of research that you love reminding others to do. You can turn group messaging off on all non-vzw phones for which this feature is enabled, which should be readily apparent if you did any amount of looking into the matter. As for you being on the receiving end of such texts would you rather at least be able to see any degree of coherence in those texts or just be blasted by what is at that point a completely random string of texts from a dozen different numbers?

Maybe the problem here is that you have inconsiderate friends who are texting at inappropriate times of day. Any oh hey, if WP had a way to have custom sms sounds for each recipient you would not have this problem at all! But hey different OS, features are for iSheep and virusphones right?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? Some of us find that the group messaging is infuriating and WISH there really was a way to turn it off. iSheep friends who are clueless and don't seem to care that some of the people on their list of recipients are trying to sleep should be shot. Then there are the ones who reply that you don't even know, keeping you awake until the wee hours of the morning. And no, don't ask me to silence my phone. There are family members with medical issues and we need to be able to be reached. There needs to be a way to prevent RECEIPT of group messages. Yes, have your group messaging, but also give me a way to block it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html
I have owned (and still do) Apple products, and browse MacRumors from time to time, and seriously, the amount of hate from some users on here rivals the so-called iSheep you want shot; it's just sad. Make your point without the name-calling; it doesn't make you sound any smarter.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Instead of getting in a ridiculous tizzy maybe you can use that noggin to do a modicum of research that you love reminding others to do. You can turn group messaging off on all non-vzw phones for which this feature is enabled, which should be readily apparent if you did any amount of looking into the matter. As for you being on the receiving end of such texts would you rather at least be able to see any degree of coherence in those texts or just be blasted by what is at that point a completely random string of texts from a dozen different numbers?

Maybe the problem here is that you have inconsiderate friends who are texting at inappropriate times of day. Any oh hey, if WP had a way to have custom sms sounds for each recipient you would not have this problem at all! But hey different OS, features are for iSheep and virusphones right?

Actually, I'd say his biggest problem is that WP8 doesn't have proper sound profiles. On my old, POS BlackBerry Storm I could set it so that all notifications were on vibrate at night but the phone would still ring. Or I could set it to vibrate for everything but make noise for certain contacts.
You know, the kind of power options that a modern OS should have that WP8 is sadly lacking.

But I don't expect any of this to be read and digested - that's the avatar I most associate with "WP8 is a delicate little flower and everyone should just get used to it rather than wish it changes." It's that kind of enabling and excuse making that leads to an inferior OS. It's amazing that someone who thinks everything their OS does is perfect calls other people iSheeple...

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
iSheep friends who are clueless...

While I sympathize with the overall sentiment, this kind of talk on these boards bothers me too. Ad hominem attacks on those who use other platforms are unproductive and somewhat contradictory. If Windows Phone controlled the amount of market share that Apple does would everyone be calling them WPSheep or something similar? Or would all those people somehow be making an original and uniquely personal choice just because that's how we perceive Windows Phone to be? Whether you like iOS or not, you don't achieve that kind of market share through witchcraft and wizardry. Apple is clearly doing something right, and it just seems unfair to attack people that make the choice to use an iPhone just because they're more popular than Windows Phones. If your friend started using WP8 because you and a couple other of your friends use it would you mock them? Probably not, so I don't see the need to mock iPhone users.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not attacking iPhone users for simply using iPhones. In fact, last fall, I convinced my boss to get an iPhone and get out of his Android. It's people who don't know how to use a feature with consideration that is the problem.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not attacking iPhone users for simply using iPhones. In fact, last fall, I convinced my boss to get an iPhone and get out of his Android. It's people who don't know how to use a feature with consideration that is the problem.

That's fair. I just think language like 'iSheep' is counterproductive and inconsiderate, that's all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers