05-29-2013 10:16 PM
68 123
tools
    Is this really correct ? - my Lumia 920 fw 1308 has up to 30 minutes and "Never" for screen times out ...
    I have the 8x and it also has up to 30 minutes or never as your screen time out options...
    wpn00b likes this.
    05-20-2013 07:45 AM
    Is this really correct ? - my Lumia 920 fw 1308 has up to 30 minutes and "Never" for screen times out ...
    It's correct - certainly when you have security policies in use like I do. But I do get the feeling that TechGeek is a 'feeler', not anyone with real everyday-use experience of WP8, and furthermore is not the kind of user WP wants anyway when you see what he wants to see.

Microsoft will never make the 'I want open everything' crowd happy, and it shouldn't try. They're better off aiming for the 'knows better than to buy Apple' / 'actually thinks different / 'cool influencer' crowd.
    LeLee092 likes this.
    05-20-2013 07:55 AM
    Bingo! And I understood spectre51 to say that it's not fair to compare the Note II's battery life to the Lumia 928's because the Note II has a bigger battery. Am I missing something?

Users are interested in how long the phone goes on a charge from the time it's unplugged until it needs to be plugged in again.
    That is exactly what I did. I am not comparing the two batteries. Clearly the Note 2 has a much larger battery, but also a much larger screen and bigger processor to power. My statement was that the 928 lasts slightly longer than the 8x, maybe 20 to 30 minutes, but not long enough for my needs. That is not to say that it won't be long enough for others. I am not bashing Windows Phone or the 928, just providing my observations as I tested the two phones side by side and made the decision that the Note 2 is a better business device and the extra battery life meets my needs much better. I was also very disappointed in the 928 camera as many others have been in this forum. I am sure that someone could add third party software or seriously tweak all of the camera settings to improve the quality, but I need to take quick shots and just using stock settings the Note 2 blows the 928 out of the water.
    05-20-2013 08:58 AM
    I have the 8x and it also has up to 30 minutes or never as your screen time out options...
    That is correct. Only 5 minutes max on the 928. As I stated the 8x started out like that and then was fixed in a future update and I am sure that the standby time will be increased on the 928 in a future update.
    05-20-2013 09:02 AM
    That is correct. Only 5 minutes max on the 928. As I stated the 8x started out like that and then was fixed in a future update and I am sure that the standby time will be increased on the 928 in a future update.
    oh ok..never knew that.
    05-20-2013 09:11 AM
    It's correct - certainly when you have security policies in use like I do. But I do get the feeling that TechGeek is a 'feeler', not anyone with real everyday-use experience of WP8, and furthermore is not the kind of user WP wants anyway when you see what he wants to see.

Microsoft will never make the 'I want open everything' crowd happy, and it shouldn't try. They're better off aiming for the 'knows better than to buy Apple' / 'actually thinks different / 'cool influencer' crowd.
    Actually, I am sure that I have been using Windows phones long before you were born. I have been a Microsoft fan since the early Pocket PC's and know more about Windows CE and Windows Mobile than most on this site. I have used and tested every Windows Phone that has been released and as I said in my post I love Windows Phone for the most part, but when I can't get real business done efficiently I have to call them out. Know, if most of the new generation of Windows Phone users are just interested in taking pictures, videos and being connected to Xbox games and profiles than I think the current devices fit those needs perfectly. If you actually want to get business done than Android provides a much better platform for that. I really don't care about Open OS's because I don't normally root my devices. I just want Microsoft to make the appropriate changes to their software to match the competition in business features. IOS doesn't have any better email functionality than Windows Phone, so I am not singling them out. I haven't tried BB10 to see what their email capability is so I can't discuss what they have.
    My comments about the screen timeout have to do with streaming music in my car for long trips and nothing more. I don't normally leave my phone set to never turn off, but the option should be there to increase safety while driving. I now understand why so many Android and IOS users that try to switch to Windows Phone complain about posters over in this forum. I thought that iSheep were close-minded, but you people are even worse. Gladly heading back to my Note 2 and a forum that discusses things logically and without malice. Good day.
    05-20-2013 09:12 AM
    U can share the documents that u whant by selecting the documents and share via email. Sorry for my english
    In business, you want to edit the email someone sent (IE: add notes to their bullet points) or forward or reply in-line with a document. It seems silly this is not there as MS is normally the best choice for a business user, yet their phone and tablets are made for home users.
    05-20-2013 09:13 AM
    In business, you want to edit the email someone sent (IE: add notes to their bullet points) or forward or reply in-line with a document. It seems silly this is not there as MS is normally the best choice for a business user, yet their phone and tablets are made for home users.
    My point exactly! You could do all of these things on an older Windows Mobile phone. Microsoft Office is great but the functionality is no better than the iPhone. Android and possibly BB are the only two platforms that provide full email functionality like you would have on a computer.
    05-20-2013 09:24 AM
    if you want to reply to the bullet points :- after you tap Reply, copy the bullet points and paste it in your reply. Then add your comments.
    05-20-2013 09:28 AM
    Actually, I am sure that I have been using Windows phones long before you were born. I have been a Microsoft fan since the early Pocket PC's and know more about Windows CE and Windows Mobile than most on this site. I have used and tested every Windows Phone that has been released and as I said in my post I love Windows Phone for the most part, but when I can't get real business done efficiently I have to call them out. Know, if most of the new generation of Windows Phone users are just interested in taking pictures, videos and being connected to Xbox games and profiles than I think the current devices fit those needs perfectly. If you actually want to get business done than Android provides a much better platform for that. I really don't care about Open OS's because I don't normally root my devices. I just want Microsoft to make the appropriate changes to their software to match the competition in business features. IOS doesn't have any better email functionality than Windows Phone, so I am not singling them out. I haven't tried BB10 to see what their email capability is so I can't discuss what they have.
    My comments about the screen timeout have to do with streaming music in my car for long trips and nothing more. I don't normally leave my phone set to never turn off, but the option should be there to increase safety while driving. I now understand why so many Android and IOS users that try to switch to Windows Phone complain about posters over in this forum. I thought that iSheep were close-minded, but you people are even worse. Gladly heading back to my Note 2 and a forum that discusses things logically and without malice. Good day.
    great points. I think the are valid... I like the idea for the phone music mode fir the car too. Similar to using GPS. I hate having to uncradle my phone to change the music or so. Yeah, I can change songs easily in one of my cars using tue forward and back buttoned, but still...

I have been using windows mobile for years too. From 5 to 6.5, pocket PC to phone. Yeah, just 27 years old, but I always like the idea of using those devices when I worked.

I miss a lot of the functionality from them too! VPN, printing, great email support, etc.

I'm in IT, and too have tested and used many devices for deployments. Great post again.
    05-20-2013 09:46 AM
    While I don't dispute some of your points especially regarding where MS is choosing to focus, I am totally calling you out on this one.

The Note 2 has infinite timeout when you have the passcode lock disabled.
    So does WP8 in the same situation.

I have used and tested every Windows Phone that has been released
    I flatly don't believe you - nothing you type gives me any evidence that you've done more than walked into a few shops and prodded some WP's with a made up mind (or at best, a buy-and-return).
    05-20-2013 09:55 AM
    928 Photos are on the left. Note 2 photos on the right. All pictures taken with no change in settings and auto flash. Outdoor pictures had the flash turned off. As you can see the Note 2 photos aren't yellow like the 928, have better color representation and are crisper. Sorry about the sideways pictures, I had some rotation issues. The pictures are all taken from the same angle at the same time. The outside tree picture are both from the 928, I couldn't get it replaced properly. Trust me, the Note 2 camera without modifications to settings or software blows away the 928.

wp_20130519_013.jpg 20130519_165352.jpg

wp_20130519_014.jpg 20130519_165408.jpg

wp_20130519_016.jpg 20130519_165442.jpg

wp_20130519_020.jpg 20130519_170240.jpg

wp_20130519_021.jpg wp_20130519_021.jpg

wp_20130519_024.jpg 20130519_173524.jpg

wp_20130519_029.jpg 20130519_173601.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20130519_013.jpg  
    Last edited by techgeek32; 05-20-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    05-20-2013 09:56 AM
    Blows it away? Hmm. It's obviously hard to tell whether the colour reproduction is true to the source or not since we're not there and I can see that some of the shots there is definitely a yellow hue to the images, but that *could* be adjusted through white balance. I know that's not really the point, since we're comparing auto modes here. Honestly, looking at both images at 100% there's relatively the same amount of noise in any given photo between the two devices apart from the outdoor shot (the second to last image) where the note clearly has less noise in the sky and has very different colours. I'd say the focal point on the 928's camera is the tree behind the driveway but the Note generally has better focus throughout and the grass is sharper on the note without a doubt. Other than those examples I wouldn't say one is clearer than the other or any more noisy. The colours may well be clearly different but I wouldn't personally say that one stands out head and shoulders above the other, except for that outside driveway shot where the Note clearly is more defined.

What are your expectations here, exactly? Clearly you think the 928 should shine above the Note, but I'd say while it definitely doesn't shine above it and the colour reproduction leaves something to be desired at the moment, you're able to take shots that are around the same quality level in daylight and I wouldn't say there's much competition in lower light conditions. Sharpness, colour, noise can be adjusted in firmware patches (amber update) to a degree but with the size of sensors in these cameras you're never going to get absolutely crisp/perfect pictures from these phones.
    05-20-2013 10:33 AM
    Hi. Me again. I would like to defend the people on this forum. I post too a lot of forums and find both helpful and non helpful people in all of them including Note 2 forums. So, I think that comment lends nothing to this conversation.

As far as WP 8 shortcomings to Android shortcomings. I am a long time user of all sorts of systems including Windows mobile in the day. Eventually the Note 2 will have lag and good luck finding which app is causing it as you remove one after the other. While I am happy with my Nexus 7 for daily consumption and productivity, I really must have a smartphone that is smooth as butter and stable with little fuss. I can fuss on my Nexus. Its just the honest truth that most Android phones will slow.

When someone like me is blown away after two hours of playing with the thing, then there is really something game changing here. And let me add that when Android first came out and I was on 1.6, it STUNK. A lot of what people are complaining about was missing on Android as well. Give WP8 a chance. I am because I found it so well executed, smooth, beautifully integrated and pleasing to use. I just got an overall Ahhhh feeling. So let's be honest about the early days of Android and how stinky it was yet I continued to use it seeing the monthly improvements.

But I really think Microsoft can become relevant again if they can just get more people in the stores where they can have that Ahhhhh moment as well. I haven't had an Ahhhh moment with Android in a while as stupid ads are pushed and pushed even more although I use an ad blocker. I even get ads with some paid apps!

As far as the photos, that yellow is easy to correct but the note 2 looks a little tilted to the blue scale causing a greyish look to me. Both can be corrected. Even on my 500 dollar Panasonic digital camera I have to make adjustments. Its just how it is. If you want point and shoot with professional outcomes ffrom a smartphone correct in a photo editor.

The whole point of my post was to show support for a growing operating system that simply blew me away with its clean lines and performance. And Nokia's well built chassis. Thank you wpcentral for a valuable website with tons of info.
    05-20-2013 12:43 PM
    Welcome back....
    05-20-2013 12:52 PM
    From the pictures posted above, I do not understand how Galaxy Note 2 blows away NL928. Shots using 928 look more decent. We can say both can take good pictures in day light. Low light is incomparable. -me coming from Android/ Samsung Note.
    05-20-2013 03:06 PM
    While I don't dispute some of your points especially regarding where MS is choosing to focus, I am totally calling you out on this one.

The Note 2 has infinite timeout when you have the passcode lock disabled.
    So does WP8 in the same situation.
    Can't say that I can find that option on the 928.
    05-20-2013 04:15 PM
    From the pictures posted above, I do not understand how Galaxy Note 2 blows away NL928. Shots using 928 look more decent. We can say both can take good pictures in day light. Low light is incomparable. -me coming from Android/ Samsung Note.
    Sorry. The pictures didn't stay side y side correctly. The first vertical picture in every double is the 928. The horizontal ones are from the Note 2. There is a clear difference in color reproduction and most of the 928 pictures have a yellow hue. I know that you can make several adjustments to the Nokia but my test was shooting stock because most users don't always have time to fiddle with settings before shooting a picture.
    05-20-2013 04:31 PM
    Sorry. The pictures didn't stay side y side correctly. The first vertical picture in every double is the 928. The horizontal ones are from the Note 2. There is a clear difference in color reproduction and most of the 928 pictures have a yellow hue. I know that you can make several adjustments to the Nokia but my test was shooting stock because most users don't always have time to fiddle with settings before shooting a picture.
    For the record, I don't have my 928, yet. Ordered a Black one and it's in transport. But, when I first got my Thunderbolt, replacing my Incredible, I was severely disappointed with my pictures compared to the old Incredible. It turned out that somehow, before I got the phone, the white balance was way out of skew. I was getting an orangish tinge on everything. I complained on a couple of forums about it and someone told me to check the camera settings. I told them I never adjusted them and was using the phone out of the box. I checked anyway, and figured out the problem. Could it be you are having the same issue? I'm looking at some of the other OOTB pictures taken by folks on this forum with their new 928's and they are frankly fantastic.
    05-20-2013 04:41 PM
    The point is techgeek has shown that he is infact what hew calls himself, a "tech geek". By default its clear Android will be his smartphone os of choice because it allows him the most customizability. I would argue that most smartphone users could care less about customization and simply want something that works. Windows phone is far superior in that regards. You wouldn't believe the number of people that I've met on a daily basis that show me their new Android smartphones and haven't a clue how to use them. Its sad really. Android phones are powerful, but far far less intutive that other smartphone OS's.

Windows Phones are an overall superior product, and once people start to see this we'll see the tides change.
    05-20-2013 04:44 PM
    The issue you see is primarily white balance.. something that can be set and changed permanently .. i.e. photo settings, daylight then save. At least I'm assuming the 928 is the same camera app as the 920.

I dunno about VZW but the 920 requires several (many) discharges before the battery will perform admirably. I would guess this phone has not even been out long enough for you to see the battery performance improve.. I can go two full days without a charge on my 920 with spotty LTE coverage (i.e. 6am to 6pm on the second day) .. Of course if your getting tons of mail and NOT using "as items arrive" (EAS support) as the email system is designed then possibly you will see poor battery life... dunno.. I don't do that :)

As far a screen timeout.. that is odd... I would assume the same features regardless of carrier on WP 8 .. the only thing limiting the setting is EAS policy.. which sounds like to me has been implemented ... You connect to an Exchange account? Your droid thing probably doesn't honor the EAS policy.. one reason us IT managers don't allow droid to connect to exchange at all. ;) nevermind even asking for VPN aint gonna happen in my world :)

Sounds like you know what you want and if its not exactly droid.. then it wont suit you.. which is fine.. no sense complaining.. just go back.. all good !

Oh.. you might wanna check out a comparison of low light photos.. as well as night scenes.. if the 928 is anywhere close to the 920... then you will see a camera BLOWN out of the water ;) and it wont be the Nokia :) And that's not to mention Video quality with OIS on the Nokia...

good luck with it...
    WizeGuyDezignz and wpn00b like this.
    05-20-2013 05:13 PM
    I wouldn't say they are an obvious difference on stock. The book shelf pic, the table pic, and the counter are the most notable that can be argued. Did the 928 flash for those pics? Cause it looks like it did and the Note didn't. That would change the color of the picture considerably. The Note pics look like they were taken with the lights off, and the 928 pics look like they taken were with the lights on. Also, with the 2nd outside pic I sometimes have issues with cell phone cameras not adjusting to the light well causing that yellow look in the pictures. Having to restart the camera fixes it.

The pic with the fridge and the one with the rock wall look exactly the same.

Your first outside pic is the same photo. Not that they just look the same, but you uploaded the same pic twice.
    05-20-2013 05:35 PM
    I will keep this short and simple for now since I'm at work:

1. I have owned upwards of 10 Android devices over the past 3+ years including the Note 2. I was heavy into rooting, modding, theming, etc. No matter which device you have, how beefy the specs are....the phone will lag. Maybe not on day 1, but it will within a couple weeks or so. Dalvik Cache is dumb.

2. The camera on the 928 is not "blown out of the water" by the Note 2. If you just take one quick and easy step and change the white balance, the 928 does just fine. And in low light, let's not even compare that part since we know who gets blown out of the water there. Ditto for video.

3. Please take a look at my battery life thread and don't form battery life conclusions after just a few days. These batteries need several charge cycles for them to hit their peak battery life. It is also like this on Android phones. My 928 is sitting at 53% after being off the charger for 21 hours. And yes I've been using the phone.

This phone is excellent, and if it doesn't work for your business needs then just use what works. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a circle. It's not that serious and shouldn't be a stressful situation. If Android works better then use Android, if iOS works better then use that, etc.
    Last edited by WizeGuyDezignz; 05-20-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Brad Miller2 and wpn00b like this.
    05-20-2013 05:40 PM
    My point exactly! You could do all of these things on an older Windows Mobile phone. Microsoft Office is great but the functionality is no better than the iPhone. Android and possibly BB are the only two platforms that provide full email functionality like you would have on a computer.
    Symbian as well, to a degree. I could certainly do more, functionally, on my N8 than on my Lumia 900. However, the overall experience of using WP far outweighs that capability (for me).
    05-20-2013 06:17 PM
    The camera points 100% true. I went through same thing. 928 is not a point and shoot. It is a adjust 15 settings, download HD viewer, run through Creative Studios clarity app ...and shoot.
    If you are shooting in a well lit environment, try going to Sports mode in Scene, 100 ISO, and Daylight White Balance. This works much better than Auto.
    05-20-2013 06:25 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD