HI. Returning from Android :-) :-) :-)

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to introduce myself and say how excited I am about the 928. Hope mine ships Monday. Hubby is over my love affair with gadgets so had to go the cheap route with newegg. I used one of the first pocket PCs back in the day and used it up until 2008. Then my new baby flushed it down the toilet. Since then I have been a nomad going from one OS to another fondly remembering the early days before Microsoft screwed up. I have been on Android since it came out and have never really been happy. I tinker with the damn thing everyday trying out different ROMs but lag always comes back. So I have been waiting for the 928 biting my nails. I went to the Verizon store Thursday where they had it on the back wall hidden and the CSRs dumb as a sack of potatoes. I am 42 and know more about current tech than the people in these stores who should know:-( I WAS AMAZED at how refined and fluid WP 8 actually is and live tiles look better in person than print. I fell in love instantly. Can't wait to get my phone. Android and iOS can kick it to the curb.

BTW: Microsoft needs to make a commercial with real people like me with the same experiences using the WP 8. This will make people check it out. Maybe something like "Welcome Home" we've missed you:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about making the change as well, Windows 8 really impressed me so i was thinking of making the switch. I'm just worried about battery life.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Loved Windows Mobile all the way back to the Treo 700w. I have used every OS in the book. My current device was a Galaxy Note 2. I loved it but had some issues with voice search and voice commands not working while Bluetooth was turned on. It is mostly a Samsung issue that they don't want to fix. I had tried the 8x when it was released but needed more storage than 16GB and wanted a larger screen. I was so excited to hear about the 928 and picked mine up opening day at 9am. I have had almost 4 days with it and here is what I have found:

The OS is nothing like Windows Mobile or Pocket PC's. It is fluid and smooth but lacks so many really necessary features that Windows Mobile had.
1. No file access or management capability.
2. No instant HTML viewing of emails (must download graphics and attachments manually every time).
3. Very limited email capability. No attaching of documents from within an email, only photos. This eliminates the ability to reply to an email and attach a document or start a new email and attach a document. Very limited for a Microsoft device that would be designed for business productivity.
4. Unintuitive multitasking. Why can't I just swipe an open app away or click an X to close. I have to keep hitting the back arrow until I close all of the programs. Very janky.
5. Screen standby is only 5 minutes max. This will probably be fixed in a few months with an update.
6. No notification system. This is a known problem with Windows Phone 8 and one that Microsoft might fix down the road.
7. Less than average camera. I have taken over 50 pictures with both the 928 and my Galaxy Note 2 on automatic settings and stock camera apps without making adjustments and there was only 1 picture out of 50 that the 928 took a better photo than the Note 2. That really surprised me as I was expecting this 928 camera to blow the Note 2 away. I will be posting some comparison pix next week to prove my point. Most of the pictures were not even close. The 928 was always yellow when the Xenon flash was used and the colors were not accurate and oversaturated. The Note 2 gave much better color representation and crisper, clearer images.
8. Shortage of Apps. We all know that is the case. I could not find even one decent weather radar map that could compete against what I have on my Android device.
9. Battery life is still not quite there. It is definitely better than the 8x, but I still can't make it through a full day without charging. Off the charger at 6am and need to charge it by 2pm and then make it to about 10pm. That is 8 hours which is what most users want but my Note 2 can make it a day and a half without a charge.

I love Windows Phone and hope that one day it will catch up to the competition, but after trying the 928 there are just too many short comings to switch right now. Maybe 8.1 will bring all of the changes that are necessary, but right now I need a phone that can handle heavy business needs and Windows Phone just can't do that. If you want the 928 to record video it is excellent at that. It has an excellent screen and the loudest outgoing speaker on any device, bar none. The incoming earpiece speaker for calls is not very loud, the Note 2 is much louder. I would certainly recommend that you try it out. It might meet your needs perfectly, but I have to switch back to my Note 2 until Windows Phone advances further.

Last edited:

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Good points. I am in a little different boat for what I want in a phone. I have a tablet that functions for games, files, cloud, etc. But I wanted a phone that was snappy, non laggy, good overall steady performance and nice video recording. WP 8 and Nokia hit that mark for me. I really need a 7 inch screen for more serious tasks so Nokia 928 for me brings the smoothness I want in a smartphone paired with my tablet.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
You can't honestly compare the 928 battery vs a Note II. The note has a massive battery. Of course its gonna last a lot longer.

I agree with number 4. Should be able to swipe an app down to clear it like in windows 8.

jiwengang

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Very very good point. I posted on my blog a while ago to compare various phones recently I have tried and the conclusion is sadly... GNote 2 is still the best, if you can handle the size, if you can't, go for iPhone 5. But your points on 928 is almost exactly my feelings after using it for a few days. Again, I also bought it on launching day and I really wanted to try a WP 8 phone, since Android OS makes me bored now...
I was in the same boat. Loved Windows Mobile all the way back to the Treo 700w. I have used every OS in the book. My current device was a Galaxy Note 2. I loved it but had some issues with voice search and voice commands not working while Bluetooth was turned on. It is mostly a Samsung issue that they don't want to fix. I had tried the 8x when it was released but needed more storage than 16GB and wanted a larger screen. I was so excited to hear about the 928 and picked mine up opening day at 9am. I have had almost 4 days with it and here is what I have found:

The OS is nothing like Windows Mobile or Pocket PC's. It is fluid and smooth but lacks so many really necessary features that Windows Mobile had.
2. No instant HTML viewing of emails (must download graphics and attachments manually every time).
3. Very limited email capability. No attaching of documents from within an email, only photos. This eliminates the ability to reply to an email and attach a document or start a new email and attach a document. Very limited for a Microsoft device that would be designed for business productivity.
4. Unintuitive multitasking. Why can't I just swipe an open app away or click an X to close. I have to keep hitting the back arrow until I close all of the programs. Very janky.
5. Screen standby is only 5 minutes max. This will probably be fixed in a few months with an update.
6. No notification system. This is a known problem with Windows Phone 8 and one that Microsoft might fix down the road.
7. Less than average camera. I have taken over 50 pictures with both the 928 and my Galaxy Note 2 on automatic settings and stock camera apps without making adjustments and there was only 1 picture out of 50 that the 928 took a better photo than the Note 2. That really surprised me as I was expecting this 928 camera to blow the Note 2 away. I will be posting some comparison pix next week to prove my point. Most of the pictures were not even close. The 928 was always yellow when the Xenon flash was used and the colors were not accurate and oversaturated. The Note 2 gave much better color representation and crisper, clearer images.
8. Shortage of Apps. We all know that is the case. I could not find even one decent weather radar map that could compete against what I have on my Android device.
9. Battery life is still not quite there. It is definitely better than the 8x, but I still can't make it through a full day without charging. Off the charger at 6am and need to charge it by 2pm and then make it to about 10pm. That is 8 hours which is what most users want but my Note 2 can make it a day and a half without a charge.

I love Windows Phone and hope that one day it will catch up to the competition, but after trying the 928 there are just too many short comings to switch right now. Maybe 8.1 will bring all of the changes that are necessary, but right now I need a phone that can handle heavy business needs and Windows Phone just can't do that. If you want the 928 to record video it is excellent at that. It has an excellent screen and the loudest outgoing speaker on any device, bar none. The incoming earpiece speaker for calls is not very loud, the Note 2 is much louder. I would certainly recommend that you try it out. It might meet your needs perfectly, but I have to switch back to my Note 2 until Windows Phone advances further.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You can't honestly compare the 928 battery vs a Note II. The note has a massive battery. Of course its gonna last a lot longer.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here. I don't think we're comparing how long a phone lasts with x amount of mAh. We don't care about mAh; we care about how long the phone lasts on a charge. In short, we're not comparing the batteries themselves. We're comparing battery life.

pjannon

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you made me nervous with the not being able to forward attachments, but I just tried it and it worked no problem, just got the 928, retiring the TBolt which is a brick right now...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you made me nervous with the not being able to forward attachments, but I just tried it and it worked no problem, just got the 928, retiring the TBolt which is a brick right now...

You can forward attachments. What you cannot do is forward an email, and add your own attachment. Even if you're creating a new email you can only attach photos from within the email. Also, if you're forwarding an email, you cannot edit the forwarded part. You can only add to it.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You can forward attachments. What you cannot do is forward an email, and add your own attachment. Even if you're creating a new email you can only attach photos from within the email. Also, if you're forwarding an email, you cannot edit the forwarded part. You can only add to it.

Huh? You can forward an email and add an attachment.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I get what you're saying here. I don't think we're comparing how long a phone lasts with x amount of mAh. We don't care about mAh; we care about how long the phone lasts on a charge. In short, we're not comparing the batteries themselves. We're comparing battery life.

Size does matter. Smaller smartphones with smaller batteries have shorter battery lives. Simple physics.

You can't say mAh doesn't matter but complain about shorter battery life.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Size does matter. Smaller smartphones with smaller batteries have shorter battery lives. Simple physics.

Bingo! And I understood spectre51 to say that it's not fair to compare the Note II's battery life to the Lumia 928's because the Note II has a bigger battery. Am I missing something?

Users are interested in how long the phone goes on a charge from the time it's unplugged until it needs to be plugged in again.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Interested to see some of your comparison pics between your 928 and Note II. Maybe we can help you get better results.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I agree with number 4. Should be able to swipe an app down to clear it like in windows 8.

No. It really should be compared with a Subway Footlong.

You can't eat a Note II, so it loses.

While it needs plenty of fixing, I do hope Windows Phone doesn't go down techgeek32's road of fixes - for him, Android is clearly the best solution. It would ruin it for me as it'd just be a prettier Android, and I can't stand Android - One X / Note II / Nexus 4 / Xperia Z refugee*.

*Well, maybe not so much as a refugee as someone who buys the hero Android phone at least once a year to check if it's still as "can't see the wood for the trees" as it is

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to introduce myself and say how excited I am about the 928. Hope mine ships Monday. Hubby is over my love affair with gadgets so had to go the cheap route with newegg. I used one of the first pocket PCs back in the day and used it up until 2008. Then my new baby flushed it down the toilet. Since then I have been a nomad going from one OS to another fondly remembering the early days before Microsoft screwed up. I have been on Android since it came out and have never really been happy. I tinker with the damn thing everyday trying out different ROMs but lag always comes back. So I have been waiting for the 928 biting my nails. I went to the Verizon store Thursday where they had it on the back wall hidden and the CSRs dumb as a sack of potatoes. I am 42 and know more about current tech than the people in these stores who should know:-( I WAS AMAZED at how refined and fluid WP 8 actually is and live tiles look better in person than print. I fell in love instantly. Can't wait to get my phone. Android and iOS can kick it to the curb.

LOL @ the bold part.

The only thing that turns me off about the 928, limited storage, I like the option of expanding memory.
I haven't checked the battery capacity of 928, but am sure nokia must have learned their lesson from 920.
Welcome to the club.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

The camera points 100% true. I went through same thing. 928 is not a point and shoot. It is a adjust 15 settings, download HD viewer, run through Creative Studios clarity app ...and shoot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo