HI. Returning from Android :-) :-) :-)

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Loved Windows Mobile all the way back to the Treo 700w. I have used every OS in the book. My current device was a Galaxy Note 2. I loved it but had some issues with voice search and voice commands not working while Bluetooth was turned on. It is mostly a Samsung issue that they don't want to fix. I had tried the 8x when it was released but needed more storage than 16GB and wanted a larger screen. I was so excited to hear about the 928 and picked mine up opening day at 9am. I have had almost 4 days with it and here is what I have found:

The OS is nothing like Windows Mobile or Pocket PC's. It is fluid and smooth but lacks so many really necessary features that Windows Mobile had.
1. No file access or management capability.
2. No instant HTML viewing of emails (must download graphics and attachments manually every time).
3. Very limited email capability. No attaching of documents from within an email, only photos. This eliminates the ability to reply to an email and attach a document or start a new email and attach a document. Very limited for a Microsoft device that would be designed for business productivity.
4. Unintuitive multitasking. Why can't I just swipe an open app away or click an X to close. I have to keep hitting the back arrow until I close all of the programs. Very janky.
5. Screen standby is only 5 minutes max. This will probably be fixed in a few months with an update.
6. No notification system. This is a known problem with Windows Phone 8 and one that Microsoft might fix down the road.
7. Less than average camera. I have taken over 50 pictures with both the 928 and my Galaxy Note 2 on automatic settings and stock camera apps without making adjustments and there was only 1 picture out of 50 that the 928 took a better photo than the Note 2. That really surprised me as I was expecting this 928 camera to blow the Note 2 away. I will be posting some comparison pix next week to prove my point. Most of the pictures were not even close. The 928 was always yellow when the Xenon flash was used and the colors were not accurate and oversaturated. The Note 2 gave much better color representation and crisper, clearer images.
8. Shortage of Apps. We all know that is the case. I could not find even one decent weather radar map that could compete against what I have on my Android device.
9. Battery life is still not quite there. It is definitely better than the 8x, but I still can't make it through a full day without charging. Off the charger at 6am and need to charge it by 2pm and then make it to about 10pm. That is 8 hours which is what most users want but my Note 2 can make it a day and a half without a charge.

I love Windows Phone and hope that one day it will catch up to the competition, but after trying the 928 there are just too many short comings to switch right now. Maybe 8.1 will bring all of the changes that are necessary, but right now I need a phone that can handle heavy business needs and Windows Phone just can't do that. If you want the 928 to record video it is excellent at that. It has an excellent screen and the loudest outgoing speaker on any device, bar none. The incoming earpiece speaker for calls is not very loud, the Note 2 is much louder. I would certainly recommend that you try it out. It might meet your needs perfectly, but I have to switch back to my Note 2 until Windows Phone advances further.

All points are very thoroughly mentioned and I agree with you here fully. All points are very much annoying and basic, if MS addresses these points in Blue update, I will instantly switch to new high end device from Nokia no matter what price it will cost me and I will throw my Nexus 4 out of the window....

RackDaddy

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My current device was a Galaxy Note 2. I loved it but had some issues with voice search and voice commands not working while Bluetooth was turned on. It is mostly a Samsung issue that they don't want to fix.

I received my first WP (Nokia 928) on Saturday, and had to return it Sunday because of this very issue. After activating BT on my phone and connecting it to my AT&T DECT landline, I noticed that voice control wasn't working. I guess I should have figured it was causing the issue, but since I'm brand new to WP (and had been installing a lot of other things), I never considered it.

Thinking it was a software issue, I started a hard reset. Four hours later, and the gears of processing doom still turning, I returned it to Verizon and swapped it out for a new one. Once I got home, I connected to the landline, and same thing.. A Google search later, and I realized why I struggled the first time.

Long story short, Samsung doesn't appear to be the only one plagued by this.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Loved Windows Mobile all the way back to the Treo 700w. I have used every OS in the book. My current device was a Galaxy Note 2. I loved it but had some issues with voice search and voice commands not working while Bluetooth was turned on. It is mostly a Samsung issue that they don't want to fix. I had tried the 8x when it was released but needed more storage than 16GB and wanted a larger screen. I was so excited to hear about the 928 and picked mine up opening day at 9am. I have had almost 4 days with it and here is what I have found:

The OS is nothing like Windows Mobile or Pocket PC's. It is fluid and smooth but lacks so many really necessary features that Windows Mobile had.
1. No file access or management capability.
2. No instant HTML viewing of emails (must download graphics and attachments manually every time).
3. Very limited email capability. No attaching of documents from within an email, only photos. This eliminates the ability to reply to an email and attach a document or start a new email and attach a document. Very limited for a Microsoft device that would be designed for business productivity.
4. Unintuitive multitasking. Why can't I just swipe an open app away or click an X to close. I have to keep hitting the back arrow until I close all of the programs. Very janky.
5. Screen standby is only 5 minutes max. This will probably be fixed in a few months with an update.
6. No notification system. This is a known problem with Windows Phone 8 and one that Microsoft might fix down the road.
7. Less than average camera. I have taken over 50 pictures with both the 928 and my Galaxy Note 2 on automatic settings and stock camera apps without making adjustments and there was only 1 picture out of 50 that the 928 took a better photo than the Note 2. That really surprised me as I was expecting this 928 camera to blow the Note 2 away. I will be posting some comparison pix next week to prove my point. Most of the pictures were not even close. The 928 was always yellow when the Xenon flash was used and the colors were not accurate and oversaturated. The Note 2 gave much better color representation and crisper, clearer images.
8. Shortage of Apps. We all know that is the case. I could not find even one decent weather radar map that could compete against what I have on my Android device.
9. Battery life is still not quite there. It is definitely better than the 8x, but I still can't make it through a full day without charging. Off the charger at 6am and need to charge it by 2pm and then make it to about 10pm. That is 8 hours which is what most users want but my Note 2 can make it a day and a half without a charge.

I love Windows Phone and hope that one day it will catch up to the competition, but after trying the 928 there are just too many short comings to switch right now. Maybe 8.1 will bring all of the changes that are necessary, but right now I need a phone that can handle heavy business needs and Windows Phone just can't do that. If you want the 928 to record video it is excellent at that. It has an excellent screen and the loudest outgoing speaker on any device, bar none. The incoming earpiece speaker for calls is not very loud, the Note 2 is much louder. I would certainly recommend that you try it out. It might meet your needs perfectly, but I have to switch back to my Note 2 until Windows Phone advances further.

1. Yes.
2. I assume that's to cut back on data consumption
3. Really?... Office Hub. (though i do admit it takes away from the smooth flow of a task) If you're going to be "productive" you'll most likely find yourself here.
4. Why can't you go make your own OS then?
5. Should be 30.
6. It's not a "problem" and it seems with more market share comes more people and their demands for a "fix" for something that's not broken. Metro uses Live Tiles. If an app is important to you for
notifications you'll pin it to your home screen. Otherwise you'll just open it from your app list every now and then. Simple.​
7. To each their own. I feel like we already expect DSLR quality pics from PHONES. Which is quite ignorant to say the least.
8. ...............................................................................................................................
9. Then you're doing something wrong. I have a 17 hour work day and make it through without dying. I'm the average 22 year old middle-class American, (just so you know how much usage my phone gets in a single day) and at times find myself in areas with appalling signal strength.

Understandably you're comparing to WinMobile which should be a few steps forward in some cases, but i had to address a few things that triggered my pet peeves with other users. :eck:

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I was in 4 days with it and here is what I have found:

13. Very limited email capability. No attaching of documents from within an email, only photos. This eliminates the ability to reply to an email and attach a document or start a new email and attach a document. Very limited for a Microsoft device that would be designed for business productivity. .

hey, I understand your concern regarding email. Its valid. Here's a workaround you can use. Its far from ideal but it works: open the Office document you want to email, tap share in the options and then select the account you want to send from. The file is attaches to an email. Save this as a draft. Now go to the email you want to reply to, select Reply, and then copy the text from this and paste it in the earlier draft that you saved. This should work.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Is this really correct ? - my Lumia 920 fw 1308 has up to 30 minutes and "Never" for screen times out ...

It's correct - certainly when you have security policies in use like I do. But I do get the feeling that TechGeek is a 'feeler', not anyone with real everyday-use experience of WP8, and furthermore is not the kind of user WP wants anyway when you see what he wants to see.

Microsoft will never make the 'I want open everything' crowd happy, and it shouldn't try. They're better off aiming for the 'knows better than to buy Apple' / 'actually thinks different / 'cool influencer' crowd.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Bingo! And I understood spectre51 to say that it's not fair to compare the Note II's battery life to the Lumia 928's because the Note II has a bigger battery. Am I missing something?

Users are interested in how long the phone goes on a charge from the time it's unplugged until it needs to be plugged in again.

That is exactly what I did. I am not comparing the two batteries. Clearly the Note 2 has a much larger battery, but also a much larger screen and bigger processor to power. My statement was that the 928 lasts slightly longer than the 8x, maybe 20 to 30 minutes, but not long enough for my needs. That is not to say that it won't be long enough for others. I am not bashing Windows Phone or the 928, just providing my observations as I tested the two phones side by side and made the decision that the Note 2 is a better business device and the extra battery life meets my needs much better. I was also very disappointed in the 928 camera as many others have been in this forum. I am sure that someone could add third party software or seriously tweak all of the camera settings to improve the quality, but I need to take quick shots and just using stock settings the Note 2 blows the 928 out of the water.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8x and it also has up to 30 minutes or never as your screen time out options...

That is correct. Only 5 minutes max on the 928. As I stated the 8x started out like that and then was fixed in a future update and I am sure that the standby time will be increased on the 928 in a future update.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It's correct - certainly when you have security policies in use like I do. But I do get the feeling that TechGeek is a 'feeler', not anyone with real everyday-use experience of WP8, and furthermore is not the kind of user WP wants anyway when you see what he wants to see.

Microsoft will never make the 'I want open everything' crowd happy, and it shouldn't try. They're better off aiming for the 'knows better than to buy Apple' / 'actually thinks different / 'cool influencer' crowd.

Actually, I am sure that I have been using Windows phones long before you were born. I have been a Microsoft fan since the early Pocket PC's and know more about Windows CE and Windows Mobile than most on this site. I have used and tested every Windows Phone that has been released and as I said in my post I love Windows Phone for the most part, but when I can't get real business done efficiently I have to call them out. Know, if most of the new generation of Windows Phone users are just interested in taking pictures, videos and being connected to Xbox games and profiles than I think the current devices fit those needs perfectly. If you actually want to get business done than Android provides a much better platform for that. I really don't care about Open OS's because I don't normally root my devices. I just want Microsoft to make the appropriate changes to their software to match the competition in business features. IOS doesn't have any better email functionality than Windows Phone, so I am not singling them out. I haven't tried BB10 to see what their email capability is so I can't discuss what they have.
My comments about the screen timeout have to do with streaming music in my car for long trips and nothing more. I don't normally leave my phone set to never turn off, but the option should be there to increase safety while driving. I now understand why so many Android and IOS users that try to switch to Windows Phone complain about posters over in this forum. I thought that iSheep were close-minded, but you people are even worse. Gladly heading back to my Note 2 and a forum that discusses things logically and without malice. Good day.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
U can share the documents that u whant by selecting the documents and share via email. Sorry for my english:winktongue:

In business, you want to edit the email someone sent (IE: add notes to their bullet points) or forward or reply in-line with a document. It seems silly this is not there as MS is normally the best choice for a business user, yet their phone and tablets are made for home users.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
In business, you want to edit the email someone sent (IE: add notes to their bullet points) or forward or reply in-line with a document. It seems silly this is not there as MS is normally the best choice for a business user, yet their phone and tablets are made for home users.

My point exactly! You could do all of these things on an older Windows Mobile phone. Microsoft Office is great but the functionality is no better than the iPhone. Android and possibly BB are the only two platforms that provide full email functionality like you would have on a computer.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

if you want to reply to the bullet points :- after you tap Reply, copy the bullet points and paste it in your reply. Then add your comments.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I am sure that I have been using Windows phones long before you were born. I have been a Microsoft fan since the early Pocket PC's and know more about Windows CE and Windows Mobile than most on this site. I have used and tested every Windows Phone that has been released and as I said in my post I love Windows Phone for the most part, but when I can't get real business done efficiently I have to call them out. Know, if most of the new generation of Windows Phone users are just interested in taking pictures, videos and being connected to Xbox games and profiles than I think the current devices fit those needs perfectly. If you actually want to get business done than Android provides a much better platform for that. I really don't care about Open OS's because I don't normally root my devices. I just want Microsoft to make the appropriate changes to their software to match the competition in business features. IOS doesn't have any better email functionality than Windows Phone, so I am not singling them out. I haven't tried BB10 to see what their email capability is so I can't discuss what they have.
My comments about the screen timeout have to do with streaming music in my car for long trips and nothing more. I don't normally leave my phone set to never turn off, but the option should be there to increase safety while driving. I now understand why so many Android and IOS users that try to switch to Windows Phone complain about posters over in this forum. I thought that iSheep were close-minded, but you people are even worse. Gladly heading back to my Note 2 and a forum that discusses things logically and without malice. Good day.

great points. I think the are valid... I like the idea for the phone music mode fir the car too. Similar to using GPS. I hate having to uncradle my phone to change the music or so. Yeah, I can change songs easily in one of my cars using tue forward and back buttoned, but still...

I have been using windows mobile for years too. From 5 to 6.5, pocket PC to phone. Yeah, just 27 years old, but I always like the idea of using those devices when I worked.

I miss a lot of the functionality from them too! VPN, printing, great email support, etc.

I'm in IT, and too have tested and used many devices for deployments. Great post again.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

While I don't dispute some of your points especially regarding where MS is choosing to focus, I am totally calling you out on this one.

The Note 2 has infinite timeout when you have the passcode lock disabled.
So does WP8 in the same situation.

I have used and tested every Windows Phone that has been released

I flatly don't believe you - nothing you type gives me any evidence that you've done more than walked into a few shops and prodded some WP's with a made up mind (or at best, a buy-and-return).

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
928 Photos are on the left. Note 2 photos on the right. All pictures taken with no change in settings and auto flash. Outdoor pictures had the flash turned off. As you can see the Note 2 photos aren't yellow like the 928, have better color representation and are crisper. Sorry about the sideways pictures, I had some rotation issues. The pictures are all taken from the same angle at the same time. The outside tree picture are both from the 928, I couldn't get it replaced properly. Trust me, the Note 2 camera without modifications to settings or software blows away the 928.

WP_20130519_013.jpg 20130519_165352.jpg

WP_20130519_014.jpg 20130519_165408.jpg

WP_20130519_016.jpg 20130519_165442.jpg

WP_20130519_020.jpg 20130519_170240.jpg

WP_20130519_021.jpg WP_20130519_021.jpg

WP_20130519_024.jpg 20130519_173524.jpg

WP_20130519_029.jpg 20130519_173601.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130519_013.jpg
    WP_20130519_013.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Blows it away? Hmm. It's obviously hard to tell whether the colour reproduction is true to the source or not since we're not there and I can see that some of the shots there is definitely a yellow hue to the images, but that *could* be adjusted through white balance. I know that's not really the point, since we're comparing auto modes here. Honestly, looking at both images at 100% there's relatively the same amount of noise in any given photo between the two devices apart from the outdoor shot (the second to last image) where the note clearly has less noise in the sky and has very different colours. I'd say the focal point on the 928's camera is the tree behind the driveway but the Note generally has better focus throughout and the grass is sharper on the note without a doubt. Other than those examples I wouldn't say one is clearer than the other or any more noisy. The colours may well be clearly different but I wouldn't personally say that one stands out head and shoulders above the other, except for that outside driveway shot where the Note clearly is more defined.

What are your expectations here, exactly? Clearly you think the 928 should shine above the Note, but I'd say while it definitely doesn't shine above it and the colour reproduction leaves something to be desired at the moment, you're able to take shots that are around the same quality level in daylight and I wouldn't say there's much competition in lower light conditions. Sharpness, colour, noise can be adjusted in firmware patches (amber update) to a degree but with the size of sensors in these cameras you're never going to get absolutely crisp/perfect pictures from these phones.

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Me again. I would like to defend the people on this forum. I post too a lot of forums and find both helpful and non helpful people in all of them including Note 2 forums. So, I think that comment lends nothing to this conversation.

As far as WP 8 shortcomings to Android shortcomings. I am a long time user of all sorts of systems including Windows mobile in the day. Eventually the Note 2 will have lag and good luck finding which app is causing it as you remove one after the other. While I am happy with my Nexus 7 for daily consumption and productivity, I really must have a smartphone that is smooth as butter and stable with little fuss. I can fuss on my Nexus. Its just the honest truth that most Android phones will slow.

When someone like me is blown away after two hours of playing with the thing, then there is really something game changing here. And let me add that when Android first came out and I was on 1.6, it STUNK. A lot of what people are complaining about was missing on Android as well. Give WP8 a chance. I am because I found it so well executed, smooth, beautifully integrated and pleasing to use. I just got an overall Ahhhh feeling. So let's be honest about the early days of Android and how stinky it was yet I continued to use it seeing the monthly improvements.

But I really think Microsoft can become relevant again if they can just get more people in the stores where they can have that Ahhhhh moment as well. I haven't had an Ahhhh moment with Android in a while as stupid ads are pushed and pushed even more although I use an ad blocker. I even get ads with some paid apps!

As far as the photos, that yellow is easy to correct but the note 2 looks a little tilted to the blue scale causing a greyish look to me. Both can be corrected. Even on my 500 dollar Panasonic digital camera I have to make adjustments. Its just how it is. If you want point and shoot with professional outcomes ffrom a smartphone correct in a photo editor.

The whole point of my post was to show support for a growing operating system that simply blew me away with its clean lines and performance. And Nokia's well built chassis. Thank you wpcentral for a valuable website with tons of info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb