928 reception issues... pretty weak compared to my 8x. Anyone else?

ArvydasGOAT

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I bought my 928 on launch day and immediately noticed the signal is weaker compared to that of my 8x. I admit, I live in an area that is not constantly 4-5 bars of LTE, but my 928 has noticeably weaker signal than my 8x did. To the point where it spends a lot of time in 3G mode. Just last night, I had family over for a BBQ and was trying to stream a YouTube video to show my dad something, and I had to connect to WiFi because it would play a second then buffer for 20.

My 8x didn't always have a perfect signal where I live, but it was a MUCH better signal.

I went to Verizon and got a new sim card to see if that would help. No improvement. Thinking of going to Verizon to try a new device. Possible I got a dud? Everything else seems to be working fine.

How is everyone else's 928 doing so far? Especially curious for those who had an 8X on Verizon beforehand.

tcman88, I know you probably can't say much, but has there been any discussion internally about reception issues?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I would put money on the problem being hardware-related in some way and not normal behaviour. I just can't believe Nokia would have worse reception on any phone than any HTC-phone since Nokia basically invented cellphones (Yeah I know, Motorola).

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I went to a few places over the weekend and had no problems staying on LTE and using my data. You might want to try a replacement.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My 928 shows fewer bars than my 8x, but I'm not 100% sure about signal quality at this point. I seem to get pretty good coverage and can't complain

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My 928 shows fewer bars than my 8x, but I'm not 100% sure about signal quality at this point. I seem to get pretty good coverage and can't complain

This. I've noticed my bars bouncing around a bit. But the only place I've dropped a call or data is where every phone ever always drops calls and data; the zone of silence, on route 90 about 2 miles east of the routes 90 and 271 interchange. I swear it's built on an ancient burial ground or something. I don't worry about it. So far what counts - connection reliability and sound - has been right up there with anyone else.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't say I watch my bars but no issues with calls or data here so far.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My house has terrible reception. On both my 8x and 928 they say between 0-1 bars in the same location. Now my 8x will say "message could not send" just about every, maybe every other, message I send. With the 928 it still says 0-1 bars but I I'll get the "could not send" error about 1/30 messages.

not sure if that's enough evidence of it being better, but its helped me a bit.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
some 920 in the past does suffer weak reception, and no I am not talking about those after 1308 update. This particular problem can track back to the 1st batch of 920 release in Nov 12. If the problem persist and actually becomes annoyed, do not hesitate to get a replacement.

ArvydasGOAT

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Well I went and swapped out the device. A few tidbits from the experience:

The sales associate asked if I still had my 8X so we could "transfer contacts over." I let him know that it's all stored on the cloud, so no need.
I then asked how much WP interest there is by the consumer. He said people only come in "with a need," such as I need to get this for the company I work with.

Reinstalling apps now, and the 928 I had before had zero maps downloaded. This one came with the Bahamas, Cayman Islands and the entire US. Seems a bit odd... no?

To be 100% honest, so far, the reception seems as bad as it was before. I live in an area that reception is not perfect, but this is still way less than my 8X was. Hoping I'm wrong. Will report back after a few days.

Edit - also notice that my first 928 only had the Nokia and Verizon ringtones, not the MS ringtones. This one has both... OS, and firmware are the same. Odd.

Last edited:

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

The sales associate asked if I still had my 8X so we could "transfer contacts over." I let him know that it's all stored on the cloud, so no need.
I then asked how much WP interest there is by the consumer. He said people only come in "with a need," such as I need to get this for the company I work with.

Reinstalling apps now, and the 928 I had before had zero maps downloaded. This one came with the Bahamas, Cayman Islands and the entire US. Seems a bit odd... no?

To be 100% honest, so far, the reception seems as bad as it was before. I live in an area that reception is not perfect, but this is still way less than my 8X was. Hoping I'm wrong. Will report back after a few days.

Edit - also notice that my first 928 only had the Nokia and Verizon ringtones, not the MS ringtones. This one has both... OS, and firmware are the same. Odd.

I believe the review on CNET.com stated that one of the weaknesses was call quality/reception so maybe this is an inherent problem with the phone.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There could be something peculiar with the area you are in where the phone's antenna geometry makes the situation worse than the 8x. If your 928 doesn't suffer issues anywhere else, I would contact Verizon and let them know about your reception issues. They are usually pretty keen on making sure their covered areas are well covered and they won't know that some phones are having issues in certain areas unless you report it.

ArvydasGOAT

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Another thing I've noticed is there appears to be a build quality difference. The power and volume buttons do not protrude as much as they did on the first 928 that I had. Enough that I notice it...

ArvydasGOAT

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think you got a returned item.

Don't think so. Still had everything in the original package and the phone had the adhesive plastic over it. Who knows though. The downloaded maps is really odd though. perhaps a store associate played with it, then factory reset it?

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I have noticed worse reception with the 928 than my 8x and Note 2. I am on my second 928. Still having the yellow camera pictures and poor reception on the second one as well.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the signal bars are lower but reception has been stellar. I am wondering if it is a display issue and not a true reception issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss