Tethering On The 928?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on a trophy looking forward to the 928 next week, but I was wondering for those still on unlimited like myself are we still able to tether?

On the trophy there's a code u put in on the phone to enable free tethering, is this possible on the 928?

If not I know there has to be a code somewhere to enable it. Has anyone found any of the phones codes?

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on a trophy looking forward to the 928 next week, but I was wondering for those still on unlimited like myself are we still able to tether?

On the trophy there's a code u put in on the phone to enable free tethering, is this possible on the 928?

If not I know there has to be a code somewhere to enable it. Has anyone found any of the phones codes?

I'm in the same boat as you and plan on trying the ## codes when I get my 928 but I'm pretty sure it won't work. The phones authentic differently with 4G than 3G, so I know it won't work with 4G but I was hoping to still somehow turn off 4G and see if I could get it on 3G. We'll see but I doubt it will work. I just don't use it enough for the +$20 per month for unlimited users.

nadoj

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You aren't going to keep your unlimited plan unfortunately. I went in to upgrade from my Trophy last Thursday and they made me switch to a limited plan. The only way you can keep the unlimited plan is if you keep your old Trophy.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
You aren't going to keep your unlimited plan unfortunately. I went in to upgrade from my Trophy last Thursday and they made me switch to a limited plan. The only way you can keep the unlimited plan is if you keep your old Trophy.

Not if you pay full price for the phone. That's the only way to keep it, which I did.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
if u pay the full price of the phone, or get on the 12 month device payment plan u are able to keep your unlimited data

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The sad truth is that the Trophy is 3G - and due to a Verizon "consent decree" - ALL EXISTING 3G, which is ONLY the Trophy as I recall, QUALIFIES under the consent decree.

AS soon as you move to 4G, I "believe that there is SOME LOOPHOLE" that allows Verizon to "BLOCK FREE TETHERING".

I "think", but NOT sure, IF YOU DROP YOUR UNLIMITED and switch to a "shared plan" ... you get FREE TETHERING???

I do know, form talking to Verizon and reading several article, that whatever this "consent decree is" ... IT DOES NOT APPLY to ATT or any other carrier!

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the more I own this phone the more not being able to tether is bothering me.
I recently switched offices and this office doesnt have wifi and never will. I thought oh well I can just tether..... until I got this phone.
Is it enough to make me return it NOPE! Im pretty sure it will come in the future.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
The sad truth is that the Trophy is 3G - and due to a Verizon "consent decree" - ALL EXISTING 3G, which is ONLY the Trophy as I recall, QUALIFIES under the consent decree.

AS soon as you move to 4G, I "believe that there is SOME LOOPHOLE" that allows Verizon to "BLOCK FREE TETHERING".

I "think", but NOT sure, IF YOU DROP YOUR UNLIMITED and switch to a "shared plan" ... you get FREE TETHERING???

I do know, form talking to Verizon and reading several article, that whatever this "consent decree is" ... IT DOES NOT APPLY to ATT or any other carrier!

3G vs. 4G has nothing to do with it (well it does in terms of how your phone authenticates with the network but not in relation to what you are allowed to do by VZW). Your plan decides whether or not you can tether.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had free tethering on my Note 2 after I switched to a shared plan. But I had it before switching plans using a custom ROM.
I don't see any options on the 928, so I would think that it is a device issue more than a Verizon issue.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I had free tethering on my Note 2 after I switched to a shared plan. But I had it before switching plans using a custom ROM.
I don't see any options on the 928, so I would think that it is a device issue more than a Verizon issue.

You can tether with the 928 as long as you are on the Shared Data Plan.

If you are still on unlimited data, you have to pay.
I don't get why this is so confusing.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys talking about internet sharing? Or wifi hotspot? If so, it works just fine on my 822 with Verizon. And I just tried it on a friend's 928 and works great on that too. But as jmunchie said, it only works when on the shared data plan.

JamesForKing

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I never signed up for tethering or anything, I don't pay. But under settings there is an Internet sharing option that I can use just fine? I'm on shared data, so maybe they offer it free with that. I was never informed.
EDIT: Didn't see there was a second page. New to this windows phone forum app stuff. I can confirm free sharing on 928 with shared data.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys talking about internet sharing? Or wifi hotspot? If so, it works just fine on my 822 with Verizon. And I just tried it on a friend's 928 and works great on that too. But as jmunchie said, it only works when on the shared data plan.

OF COURSE, Verizon "HOPES" you WILL USE A "LOT" of DATA on the shared plans.

Just got off the phone with Verizon CS ... they "SAID", with our "grandfathered" UNLIMITED PLAN - because we paid FULL PRICE for our 928 - we CAN ADD "mobile HOTSPOT - THETHERING" for +$20 per month.

IS this correct?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Just got off the phone with Verizon CS ... they "SAID", with our "grandfathered" UNLIMITED PLAN - because we paid FULL PRICE for our 928 - we CAN ADD "mobile HOTSPOT - THETHERING" for +$20 per month.

IS this correct?

Yes.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
OK ... so, I ALSO have a USB 4G modem - for 2 1/2 YEARS - that has served me quite well ... in fact, I could NOT do business without it !!!

BUT ... it's $50 per month for 5 GB ... so, as I have helped over 2 dozen friends, business colleagues and customers get up and running with the Lumia 920 on ATT ... I KNOW HOW FAST the 4G 920 IS via speedtest.net ...

I am ALWAYS "carefully watching" my data usage on the 4G USB modem to "not go over" ... some months, this is VERY tough!

SO, SINCE I ALWAYS HAVE my smartphone with me ... what are the downsides of dropping the 4G USB modem and just using the 928 4G "mobile hotspot" - with my UNLIMITED DATA PLAN ?

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

IS this correct?

Yep. I don't use it enough to justify the price though. Maybe once a month or so I am somewhere without wifi.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
OK ... so, I ALSO have a USB 4G modem - for 2 1/2 YEARS - that has served me quite well ... in fact, I could NOT do business without it !!!

BUT ... it's $50 per month for 5 GB ... so, as I have helped over 2 dozen friends, business colleagues and customers get up and running with the Lumia 920 on ATT ... I KNOW HOW FAST the 4G 920 IS via speedtest.net ...

I am ALWAYS "carefully watching" my data usage on the 4G USB modem to "not go over" ... some months, this is VERY tough!

SO, SINCE I ALWAYS HAVE my smartphone with me ... what are the downsides of dropping the 4G USB modem and just using the 928 4G "mobile hotspot"?

There ARE no DOWNSIDES. YOU will be saving SOME MONEY that way. $20 per month < $50 per month.

****, now your CAPS LOCK DISEASE is SPREADING.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers