Tethering On The 928?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ... sorry on the CAPS ... that's what happens when you "wait" for 9 months for the 928 and 18 months with a "3G" Trophy

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
@JMUNCHIES1 ... OK, you said "no downsides" ... what happens on the 928 with tethering and say "connected to the Internet" or connected to work servers ...

and the "phone rings" or a new email - on Verizon's 4G network?

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
@JMUNCHIES1 ... OK, you said "no downsides" ... what happens on the 928 with tethering and say "connected to the Internet" or connected to work servers ...

and the "phone rings" or a new email - on Verizon's 4G network?

Until they activate simultaneous voice and data over 4G (SVLTE), your data connection will pause if you receive a call I believe (but I could be wrong). An email, or anything else data related, shouldn't affect it.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the more I own this phone the more not being able to tether is bothering me.
I recently switched offices and this office doesnt have wifi and never will. I thought oh well I can just tether..... until I got this phone.
Is it enough to make me return it NOPE! Im pretty sure it will come in the future.

It won't come in the future. You have to purchase the mobile hotspot feature if you want tethering. It is $30 per month, less any discount you might have.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
It won't come in the future. You have to purchase the mobile hotspot feature if you want tethering. It is $30 per month, less any discount you might have.

He doesn't need to pay for that if he's on a Share Everything Plan:

Here's what you get with Share Everything Plans:

• Unlimited Talk for all devices on your account. No more worries about overage charges.
  • Unlimited Text[SUP]1[/SUP] for all devices on your account. Send as many text, picture and video messages as you want.
  • Shareable Data for all the devices on your account. Select how much you'll need, and then share it with up to 10 devices.
  • Mobile Hotspot[SUP]2[/SUP] is included on all capable devices. Connect your device and share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
  • Connect up to 10 devices. Choose which devices you'd like to connect, and then share your minutes, messages and data.

1. Enable internet sharing on the 928
2. Plug phone into laptop
3. Profit

He said tethering, not wifi hotspot. In any case, you can do both:

"You may use Mobile Hotspot or any other Wi–Fi hotspot or tethering service to use your smartphone or basic phone as a Wi–Fi hotspot or to tether it to your computer or tablet. If you subscribe to a data plan or package with an unlimited data allowance, there is an additional monthly fee to do so."

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just called Verizon CS and they said +$20 per month for a mobile hotspot with "unlimited" ... you say +$30 ???

Which is correct?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
$20 when I checked last week. Why would you think VZW is wrong if you just called them?

Because the CS sounded "very knowledgeable" ... BUT it took him 10 minutes to check and then I got doubtful and asked him to check to re-verify!

I know that Verizon is always trying to screw with the remaining UNLIMITED people - in fact, the CS said ... I'm sorry this is taking so long but there "just are not a lot of unlimited people REMAINING" !!

I find that hard to believe as I know several people who switched to the shared plans and BLEW THROUGH there initial data tiers ... and "were shocked"!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
****, now your CAPS LOCK DISEASE is SPREADING.
Not to mention a serious case of bolditis......

Until they activate simultaneous voice and data over 4G (SVLTE), your data connection will pause if you receive a call I believe (but I could be wrong). An email, or anything else data related, shouldn't affect it.
SVLTE worked on my 822, I don't see any reason to doubt it's on the 928 - I just don't talk on the phone much, so haven't checked.

Zigmono

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I just called Verizon CS and they said +$20 per month for a mobile hotspot with "unlimited" ... you say +$30 ???

Which is correct?

For $20 in addition to the $30 you're paying for unlimited you may tether or use hotspot. However, be aware that the $20 allows 2 gig of data and when your hotspot/tether is turned on all data being used by all devices is counted against the 2 gig, not your unlimited.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
For $20 in addition to the $30 you're paying for unlimited you may tether or use hotspot. However, be aware that the $20 allows 2 gig of data and when your hotspot/tether is turned on all data being used by all devices is counted against the 2 gig, not your unlimited.

BINGO ... WOW, so "how does that work" if you have unlimited and you are tethering to an unlimited device - you mean Verizon can actually "separately meter" tethering vs. the unlimited 4G smartphone ???

I know about the $30 + $20 ... but, I have a $50/5GB separate "USB data modem".

Zigmono

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I assume when you are running in hotspot/tether mode vzw has no way of differentiating devices. At least that's the way it was with 3G. Therefore, they meter everything as one. I was seriously considering moving my Lumia to my unlimited device (which supposedly you can do and still retain unlimited) but instead opted to leave my iPhone 4 on unlimited and just buy a 4 gig data plan that allows hotspot/tethering for the Lumia. It cost the same as it would have for a 2 gig "bucket" of data that would be shared between the two phones. Of course, I'm still on limited voice and text, but the data was more important to me.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I assume when you are running in hotspot/tether mode vzw has no way of differentiating devices. At least that's the way it was with 3G. Therefore, they meter everything as one. I was seriously considering moving my Lumia to my unlimited device (which supposedly you can do and still retain unlimited) but instead opted to leave my iPhone 4 on unlimited and just buy a 4 gig data plan that allows hotspot/tethering for the Lumia. It cost the same as it would have for a 2 gig "bucket" of data that would be shared between the two phones. Of course, I'm still on limited voice and text, but the data was more important to me.

But the iPhone 4 is "3G" vs. 4G ... 3G DL speeds are a pathetic .7 to 1.2 Mbps vs. 4G is 6 to 16 Mbps ... I know, as I have "had" for 18 months a 3G Trophy vs "tomorrow" my new black 928 arrives.

However, I have had a Verizon 4G USB modem for 2 1/2 years ... and have helped several dozen people get set up - and speedtest.net DL/UL results that should be very similar with the 928.

So ... the open question is still "tethering": on the 928 = tethering on Verizon 4G?

Zigmono

May 17, 2013
Visit site
But the iPhone 4 is "3G" vs. 4G ... 3G DL speeds are a pathetic .7 to 1.2 Mbps vs. 4G is 6 to 16 Mbps ... I know, as I have "had" for 18 months a 3G Trophy vs "tomorrow" my new black 928 arrives.

However, I have had a Verizon 4G USB modem for 2 1/2 years ... and have helped several dozen people get set up - and speedtest.net DL/UL results that should be very similar with the 928.

So ... the open question is still "tethering": on the 928 = tethering on Verizon 4G?

You'll get the speed. It's the volume of data where things get sticky when using the vzw hotspot "feature" added to old unlimited plans. The only way around is if you were one of the lucky one's who got unlimited data with unlimited hotspot that vzw offered for a short time.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You'll get the speed. It's the volume of data where things get sticky when using the vzw hotspot "feature" added to old unlimited plans. The only way around is if you were one of the lucky one's who got unlimited data with unlimited hotspot that vzw offered for a short time.

OK ... I don't care about the speed as I know I will get the 4G speed ... and I am sure we are in the lucky few ... SO, you are saying - I believe you - that Verizon "CAN" separately METER "tethered = mobile hot-spot" traffic - ALL DATA - from the unlimited smartphone data traffic?

How can they technically do this - do you work for Verizon or an affiliate, and you "just know they can"?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
OK ... I don't care about the speed as I know I will get the 4G speed ... and I am sure we are in the lucky few ... SO, you are saying - I believe you - that Verizon "CAN" separately METER "tethered = mobile hot-spot" traffic - ALL DATA - from the unlimited smartphone data traffic?

How can they technically do this - do you work for Verizon or an affiliate, and you "just know they can"?

Yes, they can. How? It's simple - the phone tells them. Similar to the way the phone knows whether you're allowed to tether or not. Believe it or not, the phone and the phone company do communicate with each other.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my 928 at an official Verizon store Friday and it will show up today. I have had the unlimited data plan for years and when purchasing this phone I asked about tethering.
The rep, who seemed very knowledgeable, confirmed that tethering would be an additional charge.
At first he offered the 2 GB tethering plan for $20 as previously stated in this thread, but i pushed him to find an unlimited tethering plan...
He found one and added it to my account for $30/mo.
When i get my new 928 tonight, I?ll confirm its set up as he stated. One thing i remember was that the rep said he couldn't see the unlimited tethering plan until he assigned the 928 to my account....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo