Tethering On The 928?

MrGreeves

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Tether X does work but it is kind of a pain because one must make changes in the browser to make it work as well as creating an ad-hoc network. Even then it is hit or miss.

I just don't like when a function built into the phone is held hostage. It's like buying a 4 door car but not being able to use the back doors unless you pay more.

mattb13

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just don't like when a function built into the phone is held hostage. It's like buying a 4 door car but not being able to use the back doors unless you pay more.

More accurately, it is like buying a car with Onstar, and then feeling entitled to use the Onstar service for free... even though you knew it wasn't included when you purchased the car...

mattb13

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Zig, but that's still a cost for tethering isn't it?

Unlimited Data was already $30/month. Verizon had a promo for a bit (on more than one occasion) in which they included the internet sharing features (hotspot/tethering) for the same $30/month. I'm sure that is what he is talking about. They offered it for Android users at least once, I remember they were offering it to anybody that bought the Palm Pre+ as well...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
More accurately, it is like buying a car with Onstar, and then feeling entitled to use the Onstar service for free... even though you knew it wasn't included when you purchased the car...

Not quite the same. It's like buying cable Internet, and being told that it can only be used on one computer. You're paying for the data on the phone anyway, but they're telling you that you can't use the data you pay for if you're going to send the signal to another computer over wifi. Just like the cable company telling you that you can't use a wifi router.

spg1954

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have an old Thunderbolt that's been thru hell, but keeps on ticking, It's been modded from Android 2 something and now up to Liquid android 4.1. It broke the camera function, but I don't care, the rest functions fine. I have been with Verizon since they bought out Cellular 2000. I got in on the unlimited data plan. Since I live out in the boondocks, it has been my only source of internet. I tether it wirelessly throughout my house and share with my 3 computers and TV. Data usage runs 20 to 30 gigs per month. I am on the fringe of LTE but I hit it about 90% of the time.It has been Sweeeet!
Ok, the phone is old, and my son has given me his Nokia 928. Now my phone feels even older and slower. I haven't activated it yet as I don't want to give Verizon any excuse to change my contract with them that we both agreed to back in the good old days. Nobody at Verizon gives me a straight or consistent answer on how to switch phones while keeping my unlimited tethering ability. They suggest I switch plans and pay an extra 30 bucks for 4 gigs. Imagine that? I would like them to live up to our original agreement (contract) as this is my only internet hookup for where I live.
Does anybody have suggestions on how I can do this?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an old Thunderbolt that's been thru hell, but keeps on ticking, It's been modded from Android 2 something and now up to Liquid android 4.1. It broke the camera function, but I don't care, the rest functions fine. I have been with Verizon since they bought out Cellular 2000. I got in on the unlimited data plan. Since I live out in the boondocks, it has been my only source of internet. I tether it wirelessly throughout my house and share with my 3 computers and TV. Data usage runs 20 to 30 gigs per month. I am on the fringe of LTE but I hit it about 90% of the time.It has been Sweeeet!
Ok, the phone is old, and my son has given me his Nokia 928. Now my phone feels even older and slower. I haven't activated it yet as I don't want to give Verizon any excuse to change my contract with them that we both agreed to back in the good old days. Nobody at Verizon gives me a straight or consistent answer on how to switch phones while keeping my unlimited tethering ability. They suggest I switch plans and pay an extra 30 bucks for 4 gigs. Imagine that? I would like them to live up to our original agreement (contract) as this is my only internet hookup for where I live.
Does anybody have suggestions on how I can do this?

re: bolded -- I laughed, I bet they do.

Anyway, you'll simply (ahhaha) need a new microSIM card for your phone. You could try cutting down the current one to fit into the 928 tray, or heading into a store and asking them to set you up with a new SIM for it (and preferably a SE variant at that, to enable NFC payments in the future if we ever get that unlocked).

Feel free to try multiple stores too. There is NO reason to change plans for this. If they are going to play dumb, then they can **** off and make sure to never patronize that store.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss